• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What about iOS Game Center?
Didn't Apple remove the Game Center app? It seems the functionality is still there for games that supported it, but are new games coming out with Game Center features?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Sorry, I looked into it and it doesn't seem feasible to add. The biggest issue is that I don't see a way of searching for other users on GameCenter and viewing their profile without having them added as a friend.

I did see Apple is coming out with a new Arcade service. Maybe they will change some things when that arrives.

edit: I moved discussion to a new thread so it's not in the Battle.net one.

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately in iOS 12 (I think, can't remember the version) Apple removed Gane Center app, only leaves a backbone in settings and that's about it.
Hopefully Apple Arcade will change that.
I was about to ask the same thing lol

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't have an iOS device right now to look into it. I'd rather wait until the Arcade service launches since that will be accessible from macOS.

PuFf3rL1GhTy

They don’t have readded the app, but the feature of adding friends in the settings.
And if you have an iPhone or an iPad with iOS 9 or earlier, you can use the app to see your friends stats.

MrSpidey

Hi there. Apple Arcade launched and as per above, you can't see friends stats under game center in the settings (unless you're on iOS 9 or earlier). Is there any chance of still adding support for this?

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi there. Apple Arcade launched and as per above, you can see friends stats now under game center in the settings. Any chance of adding support for this?

There's no way to actually search for players though, is there? Unless I'm missing something, when I tap "Add Friend" and start typing a username there - it just searches my contact list. It doesn't offer suggestions of other GameCenter users, that's what we would need to pull up player data.

Also as far as I can tell... the only way to find other users by their username alone is by looking on the individual leaderboards of games. Unfortunately those still don't have a search functionality, at least in the games I checked, so can't be used for look up purposes.

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
You’re referring to the search on that screenshot right?

You can put in an email that doesn’t have a GameCenter account and it will still send the request, so there’s nothing that indicates it is an actual user until they accept your friend request.

It works nothing like other services do, ie. show other players as suggestions when you type a username.

And retrieving achievements etc, requires a player ID not username. Which is similar to how other services work as well, the issue is there’s no way we can get this ID if they don’t have a global search.

I spent quite a bit of time looking into it. Also checked if the new Apple sign in feature could be tied to GameCenter somehow but it can’t. Maybe they will eventually open up the service more.

Last edited:
You’re referring to the search on that screenshot right?

You can put in an email that doesn’t have a GameCenter account and it will still send the request, so there’s nothing that indicates it is an actual user until they accept your friend request.

It works nothing like other services do, ie. show other players as suggestions when you type a username.

And retrieving achievements etc, requires a player ID not username. Which is similar to how other services work as well, the issue is there’s no way we can get this ID if they don’t have a global search.

I spent quite a bit of time looking into it. Also checked if the new Apple sign in feature could be tied to GameCenter somehow but it can’t. Maybe they will eventually open up the service more.
Yeah
Thanks. I got it now...