• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iOS4 Released

B

Bizarre

Been out since this afternoon.

Changes are:
[FIELDSET="Change log"]Maps
Now uses the iPad 'fade' when changing map tiles.
Changed GPS icon to an arrow (the same as the new GPS notifier in the status bar).
Displays the new GPS arrow in the status bar.
Hold finger to place a new pin (same as iPad).
'Dropped Pin' appears under Bookmarks.

Moved position of sending bar status. (Confirmation needed).

Calendar
Inclusion/Exclusion of individual calendars.
Birthdays calendar (from address book presumably).
Slightly changed texture for events. (Note: theres a bug that doesn't change the 'finger down' texture).
Title and Location input change to a separate pane. (Confirmation needed).
Calendars button at the top.
Editing the calendar of already created events.

Photos
Works completely in landscape mode even when not viewing a photo.
Places/Faces/Events and Albums support from iPhoto.
Uses a new form of auto-sizing the image so that it will fill the screen by default (a bit buggy).
Shows a splash screen when updating, similar to that of the iPod app after sync,
No longer copy more than 5 photos.

Camera
5x digital zoom

Settings
Wallpaper for Home/Lock screen support

New Spotlight Search pane (this was in the old version but has just been moved).
Slight changes in the mail pane. (Confirmation Needed).

Organize by Thread added as an option.
Change 'Swipe to Delete' to become 'Swipe to Archive'.
Added a section for Notes - default account to save to.
Added Bing search in Safari.
Ability to remove Lyrics and Podcast info for iPod.
Full alphanumeric passcode support.

Selective app disabling for location services.
Numerical battery support.
Change of calendar (Gregorian, Japanese, Buddhist, Republic of China).
More reset options.

Appstore
A signal for universal support (iPhone+iPad). (Confirmation Needed.)

Phone/Contacts
Change to how names are added/edited.
General cleanup of contact details in edit mode.

You can add a comma by holding the *. (Confirmation Needed.)

Notes
Selection of Notes origin (All notes, From My Mac, Email Address).
Syncs with Gmail over the air to a 'Notes' label.

Mail
Unified inbox/individual selection of inboxes.
View messages by thread.
Open attachments in 3rd party applications.
View PDFs as images. (Not sure if this is a bug or a feature).
Swipe to Archive.
When entering an address, the keyboard has a space bar. (Confirmation Needed).
Physical addresses are recognised and can be opened in Maps or added to a contact. (Confirmation Needed)

Safari
Google suggest (I assume this works for Yahoo and Bing suggest as well.)

In portrait the address bar has a cancel button as opposed to the Google bar on the right when editing.
In portrait the Google bar stretches to entire width and has a Cancel button on the right when editing.
In landscape there is a Cancel button on the right when editing address or search fields.
When editing the address field, Safari will use the history and bookmarks to suggest the location.

iPod
Swipe to delete playlist.

Ability to edit, clear and reorder Playlists
Double tap to flip onto 'album view'.

Spotlight
Search Web.
Search Wikipedia.

Springboard
New Calculator icon.
New Notes icon.
New Voice Memos icon.
Slightly changed gradient on the Clock app.
Contacts icon looks sharper although cant be sure that its new.
New App - Game Center.
Categories for apps.
New dock with reflection.
Background changeable.
Deleting applications no longer asks for a rating.
Feels a lot less 'springy' (could be due to amount of apps slowing it down).

System Wide
Backgrounding capability.
Shut down backgrounded applications.
Portrait orientation lock.

New orientation lock icon in status bar.
New GPS icon on status bar.
Slight change to the Slide to Power off slider.
Spell checker with underline.
Replace when auto correct gets it wrong.
Curse words added to autocorrect dictionary.
Ability to move documents to applications via iTunes much like the iPad can.
Changed the way iPod controls come up. Instead of popping up it will be available when sliding the backgrounder to the right.[/FIELDSET]

You can jailbreak this if you have a iPod touch 2G and an iPhone 3G,
- Download the iOS4 GM build
- Update and install through iTunes
- Download this redsn0w
- Run redsn0w and search for the GM build of the iOS4
- Let redsn0w do the rest ;)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
A lot of small updates if you ask me. This update's really doesn't do much to update the OS for the modern market at all, still the same ol' iPhone OS that's been hanging around for 4 years. I really think they need a refresh on the software side of things rather than these small updates (sure Multitasking is nice, but that's about it)

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
A lot of small updates if you ask me. This update's really doesn't do much to update the OS for the modern market at all, still the same ol' iPhone OS that's been hanging around for 4 years. I really think they need a refresh on the software side of things rather than these small updates (sure Multitasking is nice, but that's about it)

People don't really want change, they want familiarity. That's how RIM gets away with making basically the same phone over and over again.

Bah, I'm not getting it. Still says the 3.1.3 update's available. (I'm on 3.1.2)

I'm assuming you don't need to be on 3.1.3 to update to 4.0, right?

EDIT: Never mind, iTunes likes to screw with my mind. The number just changed from 3.1.3 to 4.0.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
People don't really want change, they want familiarity. That's how RIM gets away with making basically the same phone over and over again.

Even RIM made some nice changes over the years to their interface and updated it to be with the modern times (Apple on the other hand has not in my opinion in terms of software, always being behind the game)

B

Bizarre

iPod touch 1G and iPhone 1G will not be reciving iOS4.
iPhone 3GS is not jailbreakable at the moment, the iphone dev team is working on it.

Got it on my iPhone, and it works very nicely. Redsn0w was kind enough to enable multitasking on my 3G model. Performance hasn't changed, similar to how Backgrounder used to run.

Oddly enough, iOS 4 automatically backgrounds all apps, not the same default quit action on previous iterations. I don't know if this is a result of the jailbreak, but this kind of behaviour maybe troublesome. It seems you have to micromanage your running processes, while this may be a non issue for 3GS users with their plentiful RAM. Other than that, it feels perfectly capable, espescially on 3G hardware, which was deemed incompatible.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Got it on my iPhone, and it works very nicely. Redsn0w was kind enough to enable multitasking on my 3G model. Performance hasn't changed, similar to how Backgrounder used to run.

Oddly enough, iOS 4 automatically backgrounds all apps, not the same default quit action on previous iterations. I don't know if this is a result of the jailbreak, but this kind of behaviour maybe troublesome. It seems you have to micromanage your running processes, while this may be a non issue for 3GS users with their plentiful RAM. Other than that, it feels perfectly capable, espescially on 3G hardware, which was deemed incompatible.

Of course it's perfectly capable, it was an artificial limitation introduced to try and persuade older users to upgrade. Hell, even the iPhone 2G was dropped despite the fact that it has the same hardware. Yes it could be argued that RAM size had a big influence BUT as your experience shows, it's capable.

Playing about with iOS4 on my 3G yesterday and it felt a lot snappier to me in general but there was a slight (I'd guess maybe 1-2%) hit on performance in games.

That said, I will be trying my damnedest to get an iPhone 4 on Thursday. The upgrades in relation to overall performance, the camera and the new design are plenty of reasons for me to upgrade. Just waiting on tariffs being released from 3.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
well, it's not a big deal if the 3GS can't update yet, the only thing i was looking forward to was multi-tasking, and i've got that with backgrounder, so it's no big deal anyway

B

Bizarre

The 3GS can update you just can't jailbreak at the moment, which isn't to big of a deal considering you lose the jailbreak as you update.

EDIT:
As stated here, the jailbreak for the 3GS is out.
iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
* If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
The 3GS can update you just can't jailbreak at the moment, which isn't to big of a deal considering you lose the jailbreak as you update.

EDIT:
As stated here, the jailbreak for the 3GS is out.

unfortunately i had to use spirit, so i'm still out of luck

B

Bizarre

Spirit is a program like blackra1n to jailbreak, so if you used blackra1n then the pwnage tool should work fine for you.