• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPad 2

MenaceInc

Staff Member
New iPad 2 has been announced.
Release date is the 11th of March.

Uses an A5 processor which seems to be the same as an A4 except dual core and has a graphics chipset which Apple claim is 9x better.
Prices stay the same as the current model.
Has both a front and a back facing camera. The back camera can record 720p video and the front camera can record VGA resolution video. I would guess they're the same cameras in the latest iPod touch.
Battery life is the same at 10hours.
Gyroscope has been added.
HDMI video out is possible with an adapter.
Available in white from launch day.

What is everyone's thoughts on the new iPad then?

Seth

MD Party Room
A huge disappointed for me, the cameras are total useless to me, the speed bump while nice is not really needed ( I have a Epic 4g with 2 cameras and never use video chat despite have tons of friends with other android phones with 2 cameras) and the same limited and year old screen

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
A huge disappointed for me, the cameras are total useless to me, the speed bump while nice is not really needed ( I have a Epic 4g with 2 cameras and never use video chat despite have tons of friends with other android phones with 2 cameras) and the same limited and year old screen

We won't see any major updates in terms of screen resolution for at least another year or two. As it is now there have been no displays that have come close to "retina" quality on 7-10" displays. It's much easier to increase the DPI on smaller screens than it is larger ones, for whatever the reason. Prior to the iPhone 4's release the DPI of other cellphones came close to that of the iPhone 4 making it much less of a stretch tech-wise. The reason why so many people have noticed a huge difference and applaud the tech is because the original iPhones, prior to the 4th generation, were seriously lagging in terms of display tech. Based off of that alone I would expect to see things other than the iPad get increased DPI before the iPad does.

Basically: Improving the resolution on the iPad is possible, maybe to something like 1440x900, but to get it to the "retina" level is not possible. It's also much more cost effective to use the same screen as the original iPad rather than ditch it and produce another once. Would be atleast 2-3 years after the original iPad that I would expect to see a bump in resolution just for cost and tech reasons alone.

Seth

MD Party Room
WTF the ipad 2 cover cost 40 bucks, that a crap ton of money for something.

@ forzen I well aware, but it doesnt stop the crushing disappointment, i would have even settled for resolution bump, I never really thought they put a retina level display on a 2g ipad.

Deathrow

Interesting news. Were any pictures recovered from the event or details given? Probably just the same concept with a few tweaks.

Only thing that interested me was the gyroscope.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Interesting news. Were any pictures recovered from the event or details given? Probably just the same concept with a few tweaks.

Just go to Apple's website, they have a really nice video over-viewing all the changes

MenaceInc

Staff Member

This picture is from this iPad 2 article on gizmodo

ipadhaaaaands4.jpg

I much prefer the back to this one. The back of the first iPad looked a bit too curved to me.

Also, there were files in iOS 4.2 which suggested that a resolution bump was on it's way for the iPad with various resources having a high resolution counterpart but it seems that they weren't ready just yet. If they did give it a bump, I'd expect it to do the same as the iPhone 4 and give each dimension 2x the pixels. 2048x1536 I think would be the new resolution then?

Deathrow

Cool, thanks guys.

Watched the offical video, and damn they sucker punched me into thinking I need to have it.
Sure the features aren't too revolutionary, but it's a big upgrade from the last one.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I was hoping for a smaller bezel myself. I maaaay get myself one in summertime though...give myself a birthday treat.

Bran

Yell
I'll buy one as soon as I can afford it now that I have a job. There are a lot of other things in line for me to buy though.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Angles as in the structural design / chasis. The iPhone 4 had square edges and "industrial" angles with no curvature/bevel on the sides

Ah thanks for explaining that. Oh well, I was never a big iPad fan. I'm not enticed by it's successor but I'll probably snag an old one on craiglist for cheap when everybody starts selling theirs.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Didnt the iPad just come out last year?

As consumers are we all really this gullible that we feel the need to buy a slightly better version of something that already breaks the bank when we first buy it?

I mean weve seen this same trend in cars for years but now its migrating to televisions, smartphones and gadgets. Im starting to feel like companies are purposefully holding back on features just so they can continue to make money a year later - forever.

Does anyone really think the camera upgrade and gyroscope couldnt be added in the first model?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Didnt the iPad just come out last year?

As consumers are we all really this gullible that we feel the need to buy a slightly better version of something that already breaks the bank when we first buy it?

I mean weve seen this same trend in cars for years but now its migrating to televisions, smartphones and gadgets. Im starting to feel like companies are purposefully holding back on features just so they can continue to make money a year later - forever.

Does anyone really think the camera upgrade and gyroscope couldnt be added in the first model?

Absolutely could've been added but Apple wanted to hold back some features most likely and it just means more $$$ for them. As far as Apple products go people who have the money usually buy them every year if they can...a waste of money IMO. The smartphone world is a little different since most people are locked into a 2 year contract though. I hate these yearly iterations though

OUTL4W

Similar to how the 3GS was launched with the iphone4 shortly after(6months?). This is only setting up for the ipad3 which is rumored for a september release....6months later.

Just wondering if the hdmi adapter will work for the 1st gen ipad?