• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPad 2

ilyace

Similar to how the 3GS was launched with the iphone4 shortly after(6months?). This is only setting up for the ipad3 which is rumored for a september release....6months later.

Just wondering if the hdmi adapter will work for the 1st gen ipad?

iPhones are always announced one year apart.

Deathrow

Didnt the iPad just come out last year?

As consumers are we all really this gullible that we feel the need to buy a slightly better version of something that already breaks the bank when we first buy it?

I mean weve seen this same trend in cars for years but now its migrating to televisions, smartphones and gadgets. Im starting to feel like companies are purposefully holding back on features just so they can continue to make money a year later - forever.

Does anyone really think the camera upgrade and gyroscope couldnt be added in the first model?

What's wrong with gadget integration becoming standardized?
Sorry if it broke your bank. The rule is never to buy the first model but wait for the second or third model for better performance which so happens to be everything about the iPad 2. Point proven?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Sorry if it broke your bank. The rule is never to buy the first model but wait for the second or third model for better performance which so happens to be everything about the iPad 2. Point proven?

That's what I do.

Seth

MD Party Room
I not seeing the big deal here , the first gen ipad it still great to have around today. There will only be a few apps that really use the dule-core cpu to the fullest and most are not going to be a big deal. Video chatting with people who have 3 devices is kinda pointless for most of us and really not that big of a deal at all since the cams are just crappy vga. All this really did was make the 1st gen ipad all the more cheaper( it now 350 at the apple store)

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart

No, youre missing the point. Its not about the "trick" or the "key to buying". Its that we as a society has become so predictable in that we will buy anything new, and then buy the better version of the new thing and KEEP DOING THIS knowing that we are falling for a fools market. Its not about the price either, its about the reality that we are stupid enough to buy in to the concept of spending money on something, and then 6 months later buy the same thing all over again because it got an upgrade.

As opposed to a reality where a consumer should be able to buy a product once, then purchase the upgrade singularly and attach it or install it to the device - think of a PC. Now this isnt an argument about PC's and Gadgets, but its a argument about upgradability, which is what devices are PURPOSEFULLY lacking.

I understand the market is driven by technological idiots, and really its their fault but no one person or entity is ever to blame. We throw money at companies for doing the hard work, and they let us throw money at them because they know we will.

Its a digusting cycle...

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

No, youre missing the point. Its not about the "trick" or the "key to buying". Its that we as a society has become so predictable in that we will buy anything new, and then buy the better version of the new thing and KEEP DOING THIS knowing that we are falling for a fools market. Its not about the price either, its about the reality that we are stupid enough to buy in to the concept of spending money on something, and then 6 months later buy the same thing all over again because it got an upgrade.

As opposed to a reality where a consumer should be able to buy a product once, then purchase the upgrade singularly and attach it or install it to the device - think of a PC. Now this isnt an argument about PC's and Gadgets, but its a argument about upgradability, which is what devices are PURPOSEFULLY lacking.

I understand the market is driven by technological idiots, and really its their fault but no one person or entity is ever to blame. We throw money at companies for doing the hard work, and they let us throw money at them because they know we will.

Its a digusting cycle...

ALSO, you really think Apple cant force a fucking quad core processor in to an ipad? Believe me, if they wanted to they can. The whole point is that they know people will buy the entire fucking gagdet all over again for a minimal increase in preformance.

I garuntee the iPad 2 will be no faster or substantially better than the first. A simple placebo can make it seem that way, just like if i clean out an old PC it can be just as fast as my PC on a bad day.

Deathrow

Its a digusting cycle...

You seem to be a very lost puppy when it comes to understanding consumerism and how technology influences the global economy.

Sure they could fit a quad core in there. Hell, they could put the technology they created 10 years ago into a device. However, it definitely won't be ready to hit the consumer market at reasonable price.

Your right on one thing. Technology does exponentially advance every 6 months. For that technology to become a product in a market will take years.

Integrating new technology is the part of saving money for the company. Why deal with packaging, shipping, and unmentioned misc. costs when you can just put it all in one; slimmer, faster, better. For that technology to hit the market with newer technology and features and remaining the same price is phenomenal proof that technology grows fast.

It's not trying to sucker punch people into consumerism or materialism.

Lastly, the only people who think they need to buy everything are fools themselves? lol

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You seem to be a very lost puppy when it comes to understanding consumerism and how technology influences the global economy.

Sure they could fit a quad core in there. Hell, they could put the technology they created 10 years ago into a device. However, it definitely won't be ready to hit the consumer market at reasonable price.

Your right on one thing. Technology does exponentially advance every 6 months. For that technology to become a product in a market will take years.

Integrating new technology is the part of saving money for the company. Why deal with packaging, shipping, and unmentioned misc. costs when you can just put it all in one; slimmer, faster, better. For that technology to hit the market with newer technology and features and remaining the same price is phenomenal proof that technology grows fast.

It's not trying to sucker punch people into consumerism or materialism.

Lastly, the only people who think they need to buy everything are fools themselves? lol

Im not quite arguing the concept of making things affordable for consumers, but the reality of it is that the standard that you just describe is the same standard thats making people buy the same product multiple times like sheep. THAT is what I dont agree with.

And frankly, maybe I am biased because I highly disagree with our consumer based economy - which happens to also be a global issue. This topic can spread in to so many other categories and arguments but I dont think an economy should be based on consumerism which is basically like saying it focuses on quantity instead of quality. Everything is made to eventually break and then recycled to make the exact same product again that will be sold to the same consumer - call me crazy but thats just fucking madness in my eyes.

Anyway, thats the last thing im going to say on this since its offT

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Similar to how the 3GS was launched with the iphone4 shortly after(6months?). This is only setting up for the ipad3 which is rumored for a september release....6months later.

Just wondering if the hdmi adapter will work for the 1st gen ipad?

That's a rumor. And the 3GS and iPhone 4 had a one year difference. Apple is just trying to compete with other companies. You were starting to see phones and tablets with dual-core processors. You can't blame them for trying to keep up. If anything, my beef is with the pricing. I could get a decent Win 7 laptop for the price of an iPad. We will have tablet computing in the future. Just not the way it is now. It's going to take a lot of revisions and advancements before I'm sold on it to replace laptop/desktop-based computing.

El Diablo

I was just going to post Opies video when I saw this thread. Those people are such idiots.

Zx30

Beto
I understand what Josey is trying to say. Upgrades come too quickly and it seems that they are purposely holding back to get money from us. You know what though, I think it's great that they do that(for us I mean). By us I mean the people who wait. Because now that the new version is hitting, the older version will obviously take a price drop or people will begin to sell theirs on ebay, craigslist, amazon, etc for a dramatically low price. Here is where we win. Let the sheep follow the cycle and let us bathe in their stupidity. We'll save money and they'll lose it in the thought that they become better than everyone else for upgrading. To this day I still have my Blue FAT DS. The very original one. It still works great and I never thought it necessary to upgrade. Oh wow, slightly brighter? Oh wow it looks like an Ipod? Oh wow, it's XL?! Oh wow, it has a camera? Oh please. The basic DS works perfect. Who needs that extra bs. As long as it runs my game.

PS: Not that I'm saying that it's okay to take advantage of people, but at a scale this large, how could we even begin to sway their minds? Might as well take advantage of the situation amiright?

Or better yet, we could save money by not buying it at all. Or rather, I'm sure a laptop provides for a better purchase.

Hardrive

Contributor
ALSO, you really think Apple cant force a fucking quad core processor in to an ipad? Believe me, if they wanted to they can.

This. The A9 can have up to four cores. I'd be willing to bet that the iPad 3 will have a three or four core A9. You know, 'cause more is better.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
What is that even showing? Whatever it is it's impressive. But what kind of benchmarks?

Check Anandtech's article, that one benchmark he's showing isn't very representative of overall performance

Bran

Yell
Most of the tests in that article still show that the iPad2 kinda kicks the shit out of the old one. And from those comparison shots of Infinity Blade it seems like it's graphics processing is better due to the improved shaders and AA.

OUTL4W

If you did pick up an ipad2 you'll soon be able to output 1080p games to tv.....1 such example real racing hd:
[yt]ALKm0Leuc7c[/yt]

If you hate that stooopid, overpriced smart cover...you'll be able to pick up 1 of these soon:

Minoit wood cover