• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPad

nathanmoon

Programmer. Procrastinator.
but wat about the 1GHz Apple A4 Chip on top of the ARM that run's apps without any glitches, i mean, thats definitely better than the 1GHz Snapdragon..rite??

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
So what if it's a big iPod touch, to someone like me, studying media and graphics at college this will be a big help, ipod touch is limited by it's size, i know i'll be getting an ipad, and i will use it at college, because with its size i'll be able to do work on it and design without using shitty college equipment and i'll be able to do alot more than just work. i like it.

nathanmoon

So what if it's a big iPod touch, to someone like me, studying media and graphics at college this will be a big help, ipod touch is limited by it's size, i know i'll be getting an ipad, and i will use it at college, because with its size i'll be able to do work on it and design without using shitty college equipment and i'll be able to do alot more than just work. i like it.
but wont your media and graphics college work be using stuff like Photoshop Suites as such and i do not think the iPad has an app for that, even if they did, the capacitive touch feature could make things harder for you..dont ya think so?? :)

madsoul

the only things that really bother me about it are the lack of flash and multitasking. how can you call it "the ultimate way to browse the web" if you cant use flash? thats retarded. other then that i would want one. its sexy. but i will never get one since its prize.

Riorio99

Meh. Looks dumb, not powerful enough, and who would use this instead of a laptop at home or a smartphone when out? It doesn't make sense to even think about making it, unless it was going to be fully featured Mac Tablet, with OSX and such.

Robby

Los Doyers!
You're better off getting a netbook or a small laptop. If you plan on using this for school then you need to take school more seriously.

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
but wont your media and graphics college work be using stuff like Photoshop Suites as such and i do not think the iPad has an app for that, even if they did, the capacitive touch feature could make things harder for you..dont ya think so?? :)

use iWork for presentations etc, and by design i mean just designs, some great work has come of the brushes app and im sure more design apps will be made taking into account the bigger screen, also.. i'll just but a capacitive stylus ;)

nathanmoon

use iWork for presentations etc, and by design i mean just designs, some great work has come of the brushes app and im sure more design apps will be made taking into account the bigger screen, also.. i'll just but a capacitive stylus ;)
ohhh thats good, but are they any free alternatives to iWork?? i mean have u tried iFile (previously known as FileAid)??

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
ahahaha no man, my friend told me that iFile could be used to load Excel spreadsheets, so i was just inquiring mate.. :D

you can view them probably, but not edit or produce them, with iwork you'll be able to start them and design them, powerpoints word and everything, ifile is just a browser.

Seth

MD Party Room
500x_ipad-v-ereader.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

We're sure just about every company on the map has an opinion on Apple's new device, but a few big wigs have taken time out of their busy schedules to weigh in on the device. These are their stories.
Nokia's Mark Squires, Head of Social Media, was mainly confused by Apple's statement that it's the biggest mobile device manufacturer, surpassing Nokia in combined revenue on media players, phones and laptops. Mark argues that the accepted definition for "mobile devices" excludes laptops, and goes on to mention the undisputed fact that Nokia's still number one when it comes to number of devices sold.
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, meanwhile, says that mobile devices aren't a priority for his company yet. They're fighting the good fight of the large screen, and once they feel comfortable in their various efforts there, then they'll move on to small screens. Netflix hasn't done or submitted an iPhone application, but Hastings did mention that he was optimistic that if Netflix did get into the game, the app would be approved for the App Store, and that it would run on both the iPhone and iPad.
Satura Iwata, president and CEO of Nintendo, took a much more directly critical approach to the device, calling it a "bigger iPod Touch," and that Apple delivered "no surprises." In the same interview he expressed skepticism as to the value of bringing a high definition Wii on the market, as well as expressing doubts about 3D glasses-based gaming. Iwata is clearly a tough man to please.
Perhaps most threatened by the iPad is Russ Wilcox, CEO of E-Ink. He says dedicated e-readers will outsell iPads due to "simple economics," and that the iPad is "great entertainment device," but it's "not the world's best reading device." His criticisms, mostly in juxtaposition to Kindle-style devices, abound, including price, weight, backlight and so on. He's right on the money about the shortfalls of a straightforward comparison, but we wonder if consumers will feel the same?
Nothing too salacious, unfortunately, and most of the points raised are pretty spot-on -- though we do wish Reed Hastings would rethink his priorities just a smidgen and get Netflix onto mobile devices sooner than later. We're needy like that.

Nokia, Nintendo, Netflix and E-Ink respond to the iPad -- Engadget

No netflix.. ;(