• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone 3GS Jailbreak Help

Joey

Alright, I'm too fucking old to spend my whole day trying to google this shit, so if could at least get some guidence, I would love you people for ever. There's so much conflicting information out there, and I've spent a good 9 hours trying to figure this out. I just want to a)figure out if i'm wasting my time, and b)what the hell I need to do. I can read a big guide, or follow a lot of steps, I don't care, I just want to know what it is that will work for me, so I can stop wasting my time.

Anyway, here's the deal, I recently bought an iPhone 3GS that was preloaded with firmware 3.1.2, and on baseband 05.11.07. I'm on AT&T, so I don't need an unlock, I just need to jailbreak. I tried blackra1n, and it was fine, except that apparently, one of it's "features" (which is how the developer described it), is that everytime you restart an iPhone that's Jailbroken with blackra1n, you must run blackra1n again. Your phone will forever reboot into recovery mode, unless you run blackra1n, or restore your phone. This doesn't work for me. At all. I want to be able to restart my phone when ever I need, especially if I'm jailbroken, because of the memory leaks that I'm sure will occur.

I don't have a Mac, so my next step is to find a custom jailbroken firmware, but I'm not even sure if this will work with an iPhone with a 05.11.07 baseband. Also, I have EXTREMELY slow internet, so I'd rather not download a 200+mb file, unless I'm sure it will work.

In Summary, I have a legit AT&T phone, that I want to have tethered, have a custom theme, and maybe hide a few apps (Stocks, Weather, etc.). If somebody can tell me weather the tools to jailbreak my iPhone are available, and where I need to goto to figure it out, I'd really appreciate it.

eldiablov

Contributor
blackra1n (first, for jailbreak), blacksn0w (for the unlock)

I really can't confirm if they will work on your version though. That's just my guidance :p

Joey

blackra1n (first, for jailbreak), blacksn0w (for the unlock)

I really can't confirm if they will work on your version though. That's just my guidance :p

No offense, but you clearly didn't read a word of my post. If blackra1n is my only option for a jailbreak, then so be it, but I stated about 4 million times that I don't need an unlock... You didn't get past my thread title, did you?

I love you man, but come on... STEP YA GAME UP, SON!

eldiablov

Contributor
Sorry man, the baseband talk really threw me off.

From what I can remember, blackra1n is the latest and only jailbreak for 3.1.2 for the 3GS. Rebooting it isn't that bad, at least from my experience.

Joey

Sorry man, the baseband talk really threw me off.

From what I can remember, blackra1n is the latest and only jailbreak for 3.1.2 for the 3GS. Rebooting it isn't that bad, at least from my experience.

Dude, it's not an option. Everytime you install an app from Cydia with a blackra1n jailbroken iPhone, you have to restart the springboard, which causes the phone to hang. Which means you have to restart the phone, which means you're forced to plug the phone into a computer, and run blackra1n. It's just not worth it.

eldiablov

Contributor
Dude, it's not an option. Everytime you install an app from Cydia with a blackra1n jailbroken iPhone, you have to restart the springboard, which causes the phone to hang. Which means you have to restart the phone, which means you're forced to plug the phone into a computer, and run blackra1n. It's just not worth it.

That doesn't happen for me :huh: Then again, maybe the 64GB touch is different :|

Joey

That doesn't happen for me :huh: Then again, maybe the 64GB touch is different :|

"If your ipt2/3GS/ipt3 is rebooting into recovery after running blackra1n, this isn't a bug. It's a feature. You need to run blackra1n every time to boot it. This 'feature', called tethered jailbreak, is enabled by upgrades Apple made to the bootrom and the fact ipt3 uses nand flash."

On the iPhone

Although, if you have a 64GB Touch, it should be too... That's a little strange.

But yeah, it's called "tethered jailbreak", which means I basically have to rejailbreak every time I reboot my phone.

Joey

Have you ever used appulous for iPhone? I know that doesn't require rebooting for most things.

Dude, it's not that, I just don't trust not being able to reboot my iphone if I'm, say, staying at a friends house, or out at dinner. I've had my iphone freeze before, even without a jailbreak, so I'm just not prepared to put my self in a position where I can't reboot on command.