• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone Apple Logo Mocks Me

Humorous titles aside, my iPhone 3G won't turn on no more. It just sits at the apple logo, indefinatley. I've left it for about 40 minutes to confirm.

Problem is, I can't seem to fix this. The steps I've taken:
  • Tried Restore on my Mac, error 1603
  • Removed SIM, tried above step again.
  • Tried DFU mode on my Mac, error 1604
  • Tried a different USB cable
  • Tried a different USB slot
  • Tried restoring on a Windows PC, error 13
  • Tried DFU mode on a Windows PC, error 13
  • Tried an older iOS (4.0), Apple blocks it

:argh:

Really frustrating. I feel that i've taken all possible steps on my own, and looking into these error codes reveals nothing. Does anybody have any other possible solutions? I'll try anything.

Bit of background info. iPhone 3G, iOS 4.1 GM. Not jailbroken, never unlocked, fully updated and legitimate baseband.

what was the last thing you did before this occurred?

Played a game, it froze. Tried restarting. Big mistake.

I've been to an Apple store before, their "repair" is give you a refurb, but seeing as mine is out of warranty I would expect a hefty repair fee. I'll try though, tomorrow. (Though if they hand me a flyer for the $1,000 iPhone 4, I can't be held responsible for my actions)

The frustrating part are these errors, something doesn't add up. Why would they be different between OS X & Windows? They have to mean something.

Hmmm, I managed to get it installed, and it was working perfectly, so signatures aren't an issue.

I'm going to try 4.0.2 as a last hurrah. Perhaps 4.1 was the onset of this. I'm fairly sure this is software related, as I installed 4.1 not a day earlier. Should bypass the downgrade lockout as it's the latest official iOS.

Robby

Los Doyers!
This happened to my iPod touch awhile ago, same error codes.

I forgot what I did, but eventually I had to restore. You tried turning it off completed, then while turning it on hold the Home button and see if the itunes logo comes up? You may have to restore if you do this. But I forgot what I did specifically because as you found out, those codes are little help.

Research leads me to believe these are iTunes errors, as I didn't get 16xx error in Windows.

Going to try on yet another PC to see if by some miracle it starts working again.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Strangest thing...

iTunes doesen't even notice when the iPhone gets unplugged. Essentially, what happens is iTunes says it's Preparing to restore. I'tll stay here untill it errors out with some code. However, in the interim, iTunes does nothing (flat 0% CPU usage) so it must be waiting on something from the iPhone. But, iTunes isn't getting it. I can unplug the iPhone, and still get the same error.

:argh:

A bit of closure on this tale:

I finally managed to visit the Apple store, and let them take a look at it. The guy said upfront that the cost of an outright replacement if it is dead is $250, which left me with little hope. He explained the 1604 error means general USB failure, 1603 meaning DFU failure and said he'd give it one more shot, on their machines.

After a bit of waiting, he says, "Wow, this thing's in great condition". Wondering if that was sarcasm or not, he says they willing to replace the handset free of charge. Mind you, the device has been out of warranty for a year and two months.

tldr; Happy Ending. Ended up with a refurb 3G. Sydney's Apple Store is awesome.