• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone on Verizon

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Can't do voice and data at the same time lmao

This is a CDMA limitation. The next iPhone will likely be on Verizon's 4G/LTE network.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Can't do voice and data at the same time lmao

Yeah that's true but I don't know anyone who's had any real problem with that. I hardly ever use voice + data at the same time (aka. never). If I'm browsing the internet or anything else and a call comes in, I'll just hop right back in where I left off.

People can complain about it all they want and try to say that soley because of this, AT&T iPhone's better but the question still remains: how many people use data + voice? Not many I reckon.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Yeah that's true but I don't know anyone who's had any real problem with that. I hardly ever use voice + data at the same time (aka. never). If I'm browsing the internet or anything else and a call comes in, I'll just hop right back in where I left off.

People can complain about it all they want and try to say that soley because of this, AT&T iPhone's better but the question still remains: how many people use data + voice? Not many I reckon.

I've had to do it a few times when someone needed information like train times. It was a bit more convenient than hanging up and calling again.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've had to do it a few times when someone needed information like train times. It was a bit more convenient than hanging up and calling again.

Slightly easier yes, but it doesn't take much to hang up - look up the information and call back with it or text it back. I've had to do it once or twice and it doesn't slow down the process at all - just a little bit more work (hitting the call back button...). I just don't think it's a valid argument that because of this the iPhone 4 is worse on Verizon

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Slightly easier yes, but it doesn't take much to hang up - look up the information and call back with it or text it back. I've had to do it once or twice and it doesn't slow down the process at all - just a little bit more work (hitting the call back button...). I just don't think it's a valid argument that because of this the iPhone 4 is worse on Verizon

As far as I can tell, there are a few disadvantages to the CDMA iPhone.
The 4 biggest network carriers worldwide that use CDMA seem to be Verizion in the US, Reliance Communications in India, Vivo in Brazil and China Telecom in China. That means that a Verizion user wouldn't be able to take their phones elsewhere and easily use them by swapping the SIM card.
Another issue is that there is no SIM card with CDMA phones which means that the user would be unable to swap their service to another phone if anything happens to their iPhone.

That said though, US customers being given a choice with their networks in regards to the iPhone is a great thing, it's just a shame that the two networks use competing technologies. Opening up the GSM version to other networks would also have been a good move.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
As far as I can tell, there are a few disadvantages to the CDMA iPhone.
The 4 biggest network carriers worldwide that use CDMA seem to be Verizion in the US, Reliance Communications in India, Vivo in Brazil and China Telecom in China. That means that a Verizion user wouldn't be able to take their phones elsewhere and easily use them by swapping the SIM card.
Another issue is that there is no SIM card with CDMA phones which means that the user would be unable to swap their service to another phone if anything happens to their iPhone.

That said though, US customers being given a choice with their networks in regards to the iPhone is a great thing, it's just a shame that the two networks use competing technologies. Opening up the GSM version to other networks would also have been a good move.

Agreed on restrictions of no SIM, however you can still purchase a phone and activate it on the service without a SIM card (although must be capable on Verizon network/made for Verizon). I'd much rather take Verizon's network over AT&T and other GSM networks any day though - speed and coverage area is great with Verizon and is the sole reason I put up with their history of "crappy" phones (hasn't been until recently that Verizon is really up'ing their game when it comes to phones/hardware).

With all the restrictions CDMA has though, I rarely ever encounter said restrictions

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I doubt it's design compromises, more like they're holding it back for the inevitable refresh during the summer.

Yep, that's my thinking too :p

ilyace

Oh because you went out and took a nationwide survey?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Oh because you went out and took a nationwide survey?

I said "I reckon".... Also I've never came across someone on Verizon complaining about the the inability to do voice + data. Most people that I hear complain about it are not on the network... It's from my personal experience and from what I've heard from my brother, who currently works part-time at a Verizon Wireless retailer

ilyace

I said "I reckon".... Also I've never came across someone on Verizon complaining about the the inability to do voice + data. Most people that I hear complain about it are not on the network... It's from my personal experience and from what I've heard from my brother, who currently works part-time at a Verizon Wireless retailer

Well no shit if they're complaining about it they're not on the Verizon network...since they can't anyways :troll:

Robby

Los Doyers!

In all my years of having a cell phone, I never had to use the web during a call nor have I ever seen anyone do so, so no biggie for me . Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to do that but I don't see the need, atleast for me.

What I'm stuck on right now is should I get the phone when it comes out or wait and see if apple releases a updated model. Since they just got the phone on verizon, I'm assuming they won't upgrade the iphone til atleast another year.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
And 4 months later: the next iPhone comes out and verizon customers are stuck with "old shit"
that would be hilarious if that's how it actually played out. i used to use verizon, but some of their b.s. policies inspired me to switch to another network. i think it would be great if they got a nut shot for once.

ilyace

And 4 months later: the next iPhone comes out and verizon customers are stuck with "old shit"

What I'm stuck on right now is should I get the phone when it comes out or wait and see if apple releases a updated model. Since they just got the phone on verizon, I'm assuming they won't upgrade the iphone til atleast another year.

Why are you guys assuming that every iPhone released from here on out wouldn't be available on Verizon as well? It doesn't make any sense not to, and I don't think Verizon would have gone through with any sort of agreement unless there was some sort of multi-year contract involved.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Why are you guys assuming that every iPhone released from here on out wouldn't be available on Verizon as well? It doesn't make any sense not to, and I don't think Verizon would have gone through with any sort of agreement unless there was some sort of multi-year contract involved.

I'm not saying they won't get the next one, I just don't think they'll get it simultaneously. That kind of fucks over all the people that buy one in February. I wouldn't put it past apple though.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm not saying they won't get the next one, I just don't think they'll get it simultaneously. That kind of fucks over all the people that buy one in February. I wouldn't putnit past apple though.

Might work better to push the refresh back 6 months perhaps? Sync it with iPad launches?