• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone OS 3.0 Announced and Detailed

Seth

MD Party Room
Today Apple announced and detailed their new iPhone (and presumably iTouch - EDIT: 9.99 for iTouch upgrade, free for iPhone as usual) firmware version, 3.0. This new firmware version will bring several new (desired!) features to the iPhone which will allow it to become what many consider the ultimate smartphone on the market. Announced today, 3.0 will bring copy & paste, MMS, Search functionality, Voice memos, Downloadable Content (paid apps only, so no free DLC if I'm interpreting it correctly), Maps API support for applications (meaning turn-by-turn is a go!!), Push Notifications (finally!) w/ in-game voice support and even support for accessory manufacturers to create custom apps to go along with their accessories.

New Features:
- Copy and Paste across applications
- MMS
- Search Functionality
- Landscape support in native iphone applications (finally!!)
- Voice memos (app)
- DLC for paid applications
- Maps API Support (Turn-by-Turn is on its way)
- Push Notifications
- In-game voice support (chat)
- Accessory manufactuers can now make custom apps for their products

- FrozenIpaq Hjacked Thread

There going to a brand new version of the SDK.Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building...

Edit here some thing that forzen left out

iphone 3.0 software will be available this summer - A free update for all iPhone customers.
- cut/copy/paste
- push notifications
- MMS but won't be available on the iPhone 1st gen due to hardware
- landscape keyboard for all apps
- voice memos (record a memo and email/text it)
- SEARCH function for email, calendar and ipod! (search email from, to, subject, and all headers, calendar appointments and ipod song name, album, artist) new app called Spotlight which is a all-in-one search app.
- Ability to subscribe to subscription based calendar events (birthdays, etc)
- create meeting invitations in calendar
- Sync Notes
- Stereo Bluetooth (you can use bluetooth headphones) but won't be available on the iPhone 1st gen due to hardware
- Auto-fill forms
- YouTube accounts (you will be able to log into your youtube account)
- shake to shuffle (ipod feature)
- Call log
- create itunes account without having to sync with itunes first
- WiFi autologin
- Anti-phising feature (i assume this is in safari)
- Peer to peer connectivity between iphones (share contact info, etc)

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team

Link? More information?

iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, preview on March 17th

We just got the announcement, iPhone OS 3.0 is coming. Set your clocks, mark your calendars. It's going down March 17th. Apparently, we'll get a sneak peak at the new OS, as well as a look at a brand new version of the SDK. Exciting stuff indeed, and we'll be there live at 10am PST (1pm EST) with the liveblog. Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

Seth

MD Party Room
I sure it going to be just like 2.0,so we can play with it right after the give it to the dev.

-chw42-

Like a Boss

TeamOverload

Incorrect. I believe iTouch has had bug fixed before that weren't needed on the iPhone and vice versa, so I would believe that although very similar, they do indeed have their differences.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
They are different. Slightly, but some differences nonetheless, that's why they have separate update/restore IPSWs. Do you think Apple will charge iPod Touch owners for this update too?

I hope not. I think they only charged for 2.0 because of the addition of the App Store.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM EST ----------

Incorrect. I believe iTouch has had bug fixed before that weren't needed on the iPhone and vice versa, so I would believe that although very similar, they do indeed have their differences.

They are both called the iPhone OS. It's the same operating system at the core. There are some differences because the devices are slightly different. But in the end, it's the iPhone OS and both devices use it. The person who asked the question asked if it would be on the iPod touch - so yes, it will be, because both of them use the iPhone OS.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
So the firmware has been detailed, comment away! (First post has been updated with the news)

!Kernel Panic!

OUTL4W 4Lyfe
it all looks pretty slick.....in-game chat with games, finally native turn by turn directions......

1 thing I did notice...during the FPS shooter LiveFire demo....
apple-2009-iphone-3-1339-rm.jpg

you have to fawkin buy weapons!!!...WTF!
hope they don't nickel & dime ya to death just because they can......

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
it all looks pretty slick.....in-game chat with games, finally native turn by turn directions......

1 thing I did notice...during the FPS shooter LiveFire demo....
[qimg]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/03/apple-2009-iphone-3-1339-rm.jpg[/qimg]

you have to fawkin buy weapons!!!...WTF!
hope they don't nickel & dime ya to death just because they can......

First of all, I don't foresee any FPS succeeding on this platform, movement will be a bitch. Second I believe that the process of buying weapons was just to demonstrate the DLC - although I do see more devs making DLC in the future to profit even more - almost like buying the app all over again (but you get a lot less)

Seth

MD Party Room
Sweet that for updating it forzen,I was just about to do it myself,but I cant update the title.Anyway I sure anyone with a ipod touch will just download the ipsw and avoid paying the 10 bucks.

!Kernel Panic!

OUTL4W 4Lyfe
First of all, I don't foresee any FPS succeeding on this platform, movement will be a bitch. Second I believe that the process of buying weapons was just to demonstrate the DLC - although I do see more devs making DLC in the future to profit even more - almost like buying the app all over again (but you get a lot less)

Well, I certainly hope so...Looks like I'll be upgrading to 3.0 but still no theme customization's.

If this SDK is available today for devs...does that mean the dev team can start working on a "better" version?

Seth

MD Party Room
Edit here some thing that forzen left out

iphone 3.0 software will be available this summer - A free update for all iPhone customers.
- cut/copy/paste
- push notifications
- MMS but won't be available on the iPhone 1st gen due to hardware
- landscape keyboard for all apps
- voice memos (record a memo and email/text it)
- SEARCH function for email, calendar and ipod! (search email from, to, subject, and all headers, calendar appointments and ipod song name, album, artist) new app called Spotlight which is a all-in-one search app.
- Ability to subscribe to subscription based calendar events (birthdays, etc)
- create meeting invitations in calendar
- Sync Notes
- Stereo Bluetooth (you can use bluetooth headphones) but won't be available on the iPhone 1st gen due to hardware
- Auto-fill forms
- YouTube accounts (you will be able to log into your youtube account)
- shake to shuffle (ipod feature)
- Call log
- create itunes account without having to sync with itunes first
- WiFi autologin
- Anti-phising feature (i assume this is in safari)
- Peer to peer connectivity between iphones (share contact info, etc)