• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone OS 3.0 Announced and Detailed

TeamOverload

Sounds like a pretty nice update, although I definitely won't be paying the $10 to get it legit. No way in hell Apple, sorry.

Vee

I find it funny how the same people who say "buy apps, devs deserve the money" then go out and pirate firmwares. I know its not the same, but its not exactly fair.

Moose

Meta Moose
I find it funny how the same people who say "buy apps, devs deserve the money" then go out and pirate firmwares. I know its not the same, but its not exactly fair.

There's a difference between a large company and a home developer. Morally it makes no difference, but in perspective Apple can afford to release the firmware for free.

TeamOverload

Besides the point that the iTouch is now more expensive than the iPhone, and yet iTouch owners STILL need to pay for every major firmware that is released. It's crap.

Seth

MD Party Room
Besides the point that the iTouch is now more expensive than the iPhone, and yet iTouch owners STILL need to pay for every major firmware that is released. It's crap.

With less features!

No AD2P something that met for mp3 players and no Mic like even the cheap sandisk have!

I will buy another ipod touch if apple ever puts AD2P support and ships with good bluethooth headphones.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
First of all, I don't foresee any FPS succeeding on this platform, movement will be a bitch. Second I believe that the process of buying weapons was just to demonstrate the DLC - although I do see more devs making DLC in the future to profit even more - almost like buying the app all over again (but you get a lot less)

I sure as hell won't buy weapons in a game. Maybe more levels, but not weapons, that's just absurd.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM EST ----------

Well, most iPhone owners are binded to a two year contract in which they pay at least $80 a month. Tally that up along with the $200-$300 value of the iPhone 3G and you have something in the two thousand dollar range. Not pretty. The iPod touch is a one time purchase. You don't need to pay any service fees for it besides your home internet.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM EST ----------

Sounds like a pretty nice update, although I definitely won't be paying the $10 to get it legit. No way in hell Apple, sorry.

It's going to leak sometime soon, trust me. There's a lot of Cydia developers who also have access to the dev kits. Hell, anybody can spend $99 to get the dev kit and leak it for the hell of it. However, you can bet that nobody will compile a jailbroken version for a long time, certainly not the dev team because they're strictly anti-piracy.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
still gonna need a jailbreak. I'll still want to use backgrounder, irealsms (QuickReply), 5 icon dock, cracked apps, ability to kill processes, categorize, SSH, Cycorder,

But other-wise, this is a EXCELLENT update. Finally MMS and cop and paste. Only gripes i got are that i didn't add the ability to background apps, only push..Still gonna be a issue i wanted to run pandora in background. I got a question though, what happened to the ability to categorize your springboard?

eighty4

Anyone can release the beta, but using it requires you to put your SN on that dev's list of registered users. To hack it and get around it, you have to pretty much open it, and start from scratch.

Wow, shits dope. Need it jailbroken before I use it tho.

If I ever get my dads "back up, still in the box -fresh" white iPhone I will def. upgrade to 3.0!

Seth

MD Party Room
Phone 3G OS 3.0 beta (Build: 7A238j) Now leaked on the internets/your local torrent site.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I wouldn't want to lose my jailbreak for this. So I'll hold off.

Sullivan

So theres nothing new yet for the ipod 2g, or is it coming this summer?

!Kernel Panic!

OUTL4W 4Lyfe
I wouldn't want to lose my jailbreak for this. So I'll hold off.

straight from the Dev site:

"It almost goes without saying, but we will say it anyway :)

With all of the great stuff lined up for us with the 3.0 OS that Apple described today, many 3G owners may find themselves with itchy update fingers. If you find yourself with access to the 3G IPSW for 3.0 via the iPhone Dev Center program, and you are using yellowsn0w, do not update or restore to that official IPSW. You will lose yellowsn0w and find yourself unable to revert the baseband to get it back.

And for those wondering, yes the 3.0 OS is jailbreakable on all devices. It

Robby

Los Doyers!
Well I know that. But the jailbreak isn't released, and I think it wont get released til 3.0 gets officially released as the Dev-Team is anti-piracy and the only way for most people to get it is to download it from a torrent.

Vee

There's a difference between a large company and a home developer. Morally it makes no difference, but in perspective Apple can afford to release the firmware for free.

So its okay to pirate Apple made programs? Like Remote?

If you agree with that, then why dont we all go and pirate Sony made PSP games?

If people are going to respect developers and buy their products, they need to do it across the border. Not just when they want to do it.

Seth

MD Party Room

If people are going to respect developers and buy their products, they need to do it across the border. Not just when they want to do it.

But remote is free?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I think he was making an example.
I agree with it. Pirating the firmware is just as bad as pirating games. In the end, someone loses money they could have earned.

Moose

Meta Moose

There are no rules on when and how you must respect a developer. There are morals, and if you wish to follow them then go ahead. Morally I think that stealing from Apple is justified on this one occasion considering they are a large multi-national corporation that can most definitely afford to lose money by me not paying for their new firmware update.

Personally, I think it's totally out of order to make people pay for a firmware update for a device they have spent hundreds of pounds on buying. Pathetic even. I have absolutely no problem stealing from Apple and I'm not ashamed to say it.