• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[iPod Touch 2G] Untethered Jailbreak released - 24kpwn!

Moose

Meta Moose
Good news for those that are currently using the tethered jailbreak release, redsn0w. Musclenerd and his team have released an untethered jailbreak named 24kpwn.

Get it here. :)

_Syn

Great news. Last night for some reason, I felt like restoring my tethered jailbroken ipt2g and now an untethered jailbreak. I posted on the forums thanking them too.

Thanks for the find Moooooose!

Cryox

Bro.
so, me being someone who does not know that much about itouches,

what is the difference between tethered and untethered jailbreak?

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();

Tethered is the type they previously released which allowed a semi jailbreak. Where if you turned it completely off, it would not start back up without a way to start it up. ex: pc.

Un-tethered is the new method which is a fully jailbroken version.

_Syn

If this was the iPodTouchFansForum, I'd say something like, search around the forum. I could say that in this case, but I'm feeling awfully nice today.

Tethered jailbreak: the ability to jailbreak your iPod, but not be able to shut it off. To turn it back on, you will have to go to a computer, and go through some steps to boot up your iPod.

Semi-tethered: don't even think about this one. It's just a more-complicated way of a tethered jailbreak.

Untethered jailbreak: this is the jailbreak we've been waiting for. This is the step that enables the ability to turn off your iPod and not have fear on not being able to boot it up. This lets you turn off your iPod and not go through the steps on the computer. It simply just boots into the jailbreak itself. (Like the PSP, if you installed custom firmware, it's there, until you upgrade to original firmware; same case with the iPod!"

Hope that helped you get a bit of info. It may be a little off in some points, but that's the best that I know of. :laugh:

Cryox

Bro.
Tethered is the type they previously released which allowed a semi jailbreak. Where if you turned it completely off, it would not start back up without a way to start it up. ex: pc.

Un-tethered is the new method which is a fully jailbroken version.

If this was the iPodTouchFansForum, I'd say something like, search around the forum. I could say that in this case, but I'm feeling awfully nice today.

Tethered jailbreak: the ability to jailbreak your iPod, but not be able to shut it off. To turn it back on, you will have to go to a computer, and go through some steps to boot up your iPod.

Semi-tethered: don't even think about this one. It's just a more-complicated way of a tethered jailbreak.

Untethered jailbreak: this is the jailbreak we've been waiting for. This is the step that enables the ability to turn off your iPod and not have fear on not being able to boot it up. This lets you turn off your iPod and not go through the steps on the computer. It simply just boots into the jailbreak itself. (Like the PSP, if you installed custom firmware, it's there, until you upgrade to original firmware; same case with the iPod!"

Hope that helped you get a bit of info. It may be a little off in some points, but that's the best that I know of. :laugh:
thanks guys, i had a feeling the tethered part had something to do with an being plugged into an external device, like a computer, but was not exactly sure.
Thank's for the info :)

Sullivan

I just jailbroke earlier, chw was a big help. Got it all installed in under an hour.

Its wonderful.

Robby

Los Doyers!
What problems are you experiencing?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Thanks for offering to help, but I probebly couldn't describe it and what I've already tried without typing in excess of 2,000 words. Still, I think I've got it sorted now. My iPod's about 75% of the way restoring. *Crosses Fingers*

EDIT:

Yeah, it did work. Considering I havn't updated this since i bought it in December, the PC that had the iTunes library my iPod is synced too is now rotting somewhere in a tip. I spent the last few hours rebuilding that.

Anyway, moving swiftly on, I finally had a freshly jailbroken 2g iPod Touch, was proud of myself, until I realised I had no idea on how to work Cydia and the 'Installer' application, or even what they were. I gather that I need a wireless internet connection to work them? :(