• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPod Touch Jailbreak

raing3

Tomorrow I will finally be getting my 32GB iPod Touch 3G and I've been downloading free App's like crazy from the App Store in preparation.

I was originally just going to not bother Jailbreaking my iPod because I messed up horribly a few years back when I perma-bricked my PSP and didn't want to risk it again. I also read that the 3G iPod Touch required a tethered Jailbreak which means I have to connect it to a PC to Jailbreak it if the battery dies.

So I wanted to ask a few questions because the blackra1n program despite it's interface being very self explanatory I don't understand some things.

(1) If an app causes the system to become unstable or crashes the OS do I have to jailbreak it again or only when the battery dies?

(2) Does the iPod Touch still boot (in normal mode) after the battery dies or will I just get a black screen/error message?

(4) Does the iPod Touch have to be on a particular firmware for the jailbreak to work, I know it works with 3.1.2 but does it work with previous firmwares?

(5) I'm assuming my iPod Touch may not be on the 3.1.2 firmware when I open it but possibly the 3.1.1 firmware. Should I update to the latest firmware and will I still have to pay the $4.95 upgrade fee or is it only for pre-3.x firmwares?

(6) Is it safe to update through iTunes to 3.1.2 or do I have to update some other way to keep compatibility with the Blackra1n program?

(7) What are some good apps to download from the Cydia store?

(8) Where did question 3 go? :argh:

Sorry for all the questions. I realize most of this stuff would already be on Google. I also saw there is a similar thread a few threads below this but I'm trying to be as cautious as possible and don't want to mess up.

Also happy holidays to everyone!

Maattt

(1) If an app causes the system to become unstable or crashes the OS do I have to jailbreak it again or only when the battery dies?
I havent done the tethered jailbreak so couldnt tell you sorry

(2) Does the iPod Touch still boot (in normal mode) after the battery dies or will I just get a black screen/error message?
same as above

(4) Does the iPod Touch have to be on a particular firmware for the jailbreak to work, I know it works with 3.1.2 but does it work with previous firmwares?

There are different jailbreak methods on different firmwares

(5) I'm assuming my iPod Touch may not be on the 3.1.2 firmware when I open it but possibly the 3.1.1 firmware. Should I update to the latest firmware and will I still have to pay the $4.95 upgrade fee or is it only for pre-3.x firmwares?

No, Apple only charge for the major updates 2.0, 3.0 etc..
so if you already a firmware higher than these they you wont have to pay :D

(6) Is it safe to update through iTunes to 3.1.2 or do I have to update some other way to keep compatibility with the Blackra1n program?

It is best to do a clean restore of 3.1.2 then do the BlackRa1n program.

There areee loads, depends on your taste.

I dont knowww! AHHH!!

!

Sorry i could answer all your questions, havent done the Tethered Jailbreak myself :p

B

Bizarre

Tomorrow I will finally be getting my 32GB iPod Touch 3G and I've been downloading free App's like crazy from the App Store in preparation.

I was originally just going to not bother Jailbreaking my iPod because I messed up horribly a few years back when I perma-bricked my PSP and didn't want to risk it again. I also read that the 3G iPod Touch required a tethered Jailbreak which means I have to connect it to a PC to Jailbreak it if the battery dies.

So I wanted to ask a few questions because the blackra1n program despite it's interface being very self explanatory I don't understand some things.

Yes and no, if the system resprings, then the jailbreak will stay, if it reboots then you MUST do the jailbreak again.

It will boot normal, just unjailbroken

No.

If your iPod is below 3.0 (2.2.1) then you must pay, but of coarse theres other sites to download it free from

Only way is to update through iTunes

Don't buy anything through the Cydia store, there are sources to get them free. ;) Also I enjoy iPod classic

Sorry for all the questions. I realize most of this stuff would already be on Google. I also saw there is a similar thread a few threads below this but I'm trying to be as cautious as possible and don't want to mess up.

Also happy holidays to everyone!

Hope this helps.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Hey. Before I say sanything, I'd just like to point out that I'm no expert at jailbreaking. I've never performed a tethered jailbreak myself, because I've never needed too; I have an 2G iPod Touch. Anyway, I've looked through your questions and after about 30 minutes of googling, these are the answers I came up with. I hope this helps. :tup:

It depends on what you mean by 'crashes'. It boils down to the simple fact that if the iPod is rebooted, through loss of power or otherwise, it will need to be jailbroken again. Having said this, when most applications crash or become unstable, they simply terminate, returning you to the springboard. This shouldn't have any negative impact on your iPod, and you won't need to jailbreak again.

From what I can gather, if the iPod turns off for whatever reason having been jailbroken, when restarted you will see a 'Connect to iTunes' message, identical to the one you see when the device is first booted. You will need to plug it into a PC and run Blackra1n again in order to get it to boot, however no data such as Music or Videos will be lost.

Blackra1n works on 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 only, and is the only jailbreaking software avaliable for jailbreaking 3rd generation iPod touch. An informative list of other programs covering other models can be found here.

As noted above, Blackra1n works on either 3.1.1 or 3.1.2, so there should be no need to upgrade. Also, just to note, the fee is only for pre-3.x firmwares, and even so, there are plenty of ways of obtaining the 3.x firmwares for free.

As far as I know, it is safe to upgrade through iTunes, as I don't know of any other way of updating an iPod. Still, as noted above, an upgrade would not be nessecary even if your iPod is on 3.1.1. Blackra1n would still be compatible.

There are plenty of guides about that suggest what you might want to download immediately after jailbreaking, on multiple forums and on YouTube. Try looking those up one.

Was there a question 3 in the first place? :argh:

EDIT:

I noticed that Nick got a different answer to me for question 2. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I based my answer off've this FAQ. You might want to look into that one a bit more. :tup:

B

Bizarre

My answers are based on experience, when the 2G was tether-only, mine would boot up normally. For the 3G, I'm not too sure.

Cloudy

nick48 - That was a "semi-tethered" jailbreak. It happened late into the rain of the tethered jailbreak for 2g.

raing3 - It's worth noting that iPod's actually can't be bricked. There's always a way to restore - it has a built in USB recovery in the bootrom.

I'd say that you should tether jailbreak it (I would).

For question 2, it's worth noting that when you run blackra1n again - you don't actually re-jailbreak the device - it just runs a command which allows it to boot.

raing3

Thanks for all the help everyone it's greatly appreciated. The main thing I was worried about was the iPod being un-bootable without a computer if jailbroken or bricking it and now that both of those questions have been answered I think I'm ready.

EDIT: W00t it works! I managed to not mess up. :p

Cryox

Bro.
Thanks for all the help everyone it's greatly appreciated. The main thing I was worried about was the iPod being un-bootable without a computer if jailbroken or bricking it and now that both of those questions have been answered I think I'm ready.

EDIT: W00t it works! I managed to not mess up. :p

I got a 32gb Ipod Touch 3G too, hopefully I will have the same luck as you