• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPod Touch or iPhone?

Serideth

Well I have a bit of spare cash on me and seeing as I don't have the time to play a PS3 or 360 I was thinking of buying something more portable.

I own a decent phone, but it's a bit scratched and I can't find the charger.
I also own an MP3 player but it's old and crap.

So the queston boils down to this, which would I be better off getting from a homebrew standpoint. I only need about 8GB memory on it since I change my music all the time.

The iPod Touch and iPhone seem like decent devices, but I'm not sure what's the best move right now when it comes to security and firmwares and all that, so any help would be great.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm pretty sure you use Skype, so I think the Touch might be better for you now that you can make Skype calls on both devices. So getting a Touch can double as a phone in certain situations for you.

Cryox

Bro.
but the touch doesn't have a mic port but a headphone port, or does it?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
but the touch doesn't have a mic port does it?

Just about to be my comment. I believe the hassle of not dealing with a carrier would be good if you plan on jailbreaking it and the data plan from the iPhone will rack up over time. I would suggest just getting the latest iPod Touch (or wait a few months for a newer model - which might be announced at WWDC or in the fall).

EDIT: The only thing the iPhone offers over the iPod Touch is the GPS (which might be good if you need GPS often), camera and cell phone functionality (such as a mic and data connectivity to the service provider)

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
but the touch doesn't have a mic port but a headphone port, or does it?

The second gen Touch supports mics via Apples new headphones.

Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

EDIT: The only thing the iPhone offers over the iPod Touch is the GPS (which might be good if you need GPS often), camera and cell phone functionality (such as a mic and data connectivity to the service provider)

It's also a good little smart phone. I have three email accounts used on mine, including my work one with all contacts in sync and my Outlook calender.

Can open up PDF's and Excel files, etc.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The second gen Touch supports mics via Apples new headphones.

Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's also a good little smart phone. I have three email accounts used on mine, including my work one with all contacts in sync and my Outlook calender.

Can open up PDF's and Excel files, etc.

But if you are around an active wifi connection then you really don't need the data plan ;) As an iTouch user I always wanted to one up it and get the iPhone if that says anything for you Serideth. It would be a good investment if you plan to use GPS in the future, if you plan on using data a lot while on-the-go, etc. When I was using my smartphone (deactivated now) I loved the data access (although I have Verizon which has the best 3G network :p ) and I think you will like the worry-free access if you can afford it

Serideth

I would use the GPS if I had it but it wouldn't be an issue not to have it. I also just remembered the camara issue, I'm one of those people who never really bring one with me, so having one on my phone is somewhat important (although I do have one on my other phone but the lense is scratched).

The data plan isn't an issue as every where I go has free wireless (home, work, my local boozer).

On the subject of homebrew is there anything the iPod touch can do that the iPhone can't?

Thanks for the replys so far.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would use the GPS if I had it but it wouldn't be an issue not to have it. I also just remembered the camara issue, I'm one of those people who never really bring one with me, so having one on my phone is somewhat important (although I do have one on my other phone but the lense is scratched).

The data plan isn't an issue as every where I go has free wireless (home, work, my local boozer).

On the subject of homebrew is there anything the iPod touch can do that the iPhone can't?

Thanks for the replys so far.

I believe everything the iPod Touch does the iPhone can do as well.

Cryox

Bro.
where can you buy one without a contract? cause i was hoping that i would be able to make it usable on the Verizon network. anyone know how i would go about doing this?

Cryox

Bro.
wow... that sucks.

edit:
after reading that article, you might as well wait to get the iPhone now, because it says a new one is expected to be released soon.

Serideth

I live in Ireland, our iPhones come on 02. A lot of people sell them out of their house without contracts though if you know what I mean.

A new iPhone is rumoured to be released in June.

The June release has been the same for the past 2 years at the WWDC, just like the iPod Touches in september.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Ok, I think I'm sold on the iPhone, now I just need to find one that I can buy without a contract, hopefully I'll get it today or tomorrow.

If your provider sells iPhones, you can call their customer service and say, "I'm not satisfied with my current plan, and I'm thinking about quiting, unless I can get a good deal on a iPhone". Obviously you have to put more thought into than that, but its the gist.
That's what I did (I also cut my bill in half by doing this), and I got the iPhone at the same price as someone who would be signing a new contract (I was only a year and a half in my 3 year contract). It ended up being cheaper than a iTouch.

Anyone selling without a contract doubles or even triples the price, and when they don't it is usually a scam. I checked craigslist, among other local classified sites everyday over two months before I gave up and called my cell phone provider. I should have done that first since it was cheaper, faster, and reliable.

Seth

MD Party Room
where can you buy one without a contract? cause i was hoping that i would be able to make it usable on the Verizon network. anyone know how i would go about doing this?

It not possible Iphone is gsm,Verizon cdma. But yea you can a iphone unlocked for about 400/500 bucks.

Also Mike get the Iphone if it wont break the bank with the monthly plans.

Seth

MD Party Room
Hey just a heads up there a rumor that ATT will be updateing the Iphone with new hardware come this june. So if I where you I hold of buying a Iphone till june.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Can't you just buy the phone of ebay locked for normal price, unlock it yourself then sell around double the price. They have some crazy prices for unlocked iphones on there.