• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is PSP homebrew dead/dying?

angelsniper45

With all the recent advancements in PS3 hacking and homebrew, do you think that we will ever actually see another CFW for the PSP? Or will 5.00m33 be the best but last? I miss the days where at least two or more pieces of homebrew came out each day :(

So, what are your thoughts on the dying scene? I know sony has ultimately lost the battle with us, but maybe they finally secured the PSP? Post your thoughts.

Hardrive

Contributor
PSP homebrew has been dead and has been for at least a year. It has nothing to do with the PS3 hack.

Adiuvo

It's dead, and has been. The community surrounding the PSP homebrew scene killed it awhile back.

angelsniper45

It's dead, and has been. The community surrounding the PSP homebrew scene killed it awhile back.

Meh. But yall know what im saying. >.>

Hellcat

Contributor
Meh.

Homebrew will never be totally dead, on no platform. Look at all the old consoles, there is always someone who does stuff for a device/console.

5.00m33 / 5.50gen might indeed be the very last CFW for the PSP - and HB wise that's all you need!
There is no need for more recent CFWs to enjoy HB, recent versions are only needed by pirates to be able to play the latest gamez.

There is not that much HB that it used to be two years ago, sure. But there always will be at least something.

HB on the PS3 will likely gain more momentum, which IMO is a good thing.
Unlike the X360 the PS3 is on it's way to get a free, legal and open source HB SDK (like the PSP has), so HB can really "take off".

Maybe that will also spin up PSP HB a bit again, when devs make apps/games that connect the PSP and PS3 in some way.... who knows....

Bottom line: HB will never be completely dead. Thin and slow maybe, but not completely dead - and after all: you still got all the HB already released ;)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate in regards to custom firmware. Not many have the lowlevel knowledge required. But more importantly - as Hellcat pointed out, there's no real reason for anyone to create a CFW based on 6.x or whatever, it'd only appease the pirates.

6.x offers nothing new as far as homebrew is concerned.

angelsniper45

Hopefully hellcat :)
and thanks for helping me with my own piece of brew.

Its to bad because there was always a reason for me to pick up my psp but it hasnt moved since last march or something like that. The problem is that every thing that can be done basically has been done since DAX retired, its really only new to people who are just starting out on homebrew.

Muratcan

Let us reminisce about days of old! Back when PSP Updates (known as PSP Hacker for a short time) was our primary source of hacking news, and in a day you would have to cycle through a few pages of front page content to stay up to date. Good times ^_^ Those times ended around late 2007, post Pandora. The height of the craze was definitely 2005-2006, the PSP Updates (qj.net) forums used to be bustling with activity, 3000 users at once was a regular occurence.

With the recent PS3 developments though and now that I've hacked my PS3, I can move on and anticipate a new wave. I've had this feeling before, back when the PSP was getting simple stuff like calculator apps and what not. The silence before the storm 8)

january39

eXo Staff
Hacking using pandora made it all so easy - I started with lumines and thats when you held your breath and hoped. Pandora made it all to easy and safe.

I suspect that the greater portion of hacked PS3's will use it for games and nothing else, i mean is homebrew really all that good?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I remember having to hunt down a pre-patched version of GTA:LCS...funtimes. xD fairly sure that was around 3.10

As for homebrew, I'm sure there'd still be developers working on stuff but the focus on game development has definitely moved to the likes of the iPhone/iPod touch.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I suspect that the greater portion of hacked PS3's will use it for games and nothing else, i mean is homebrew really all that good?

Wisely said.

Muratcan

Haha the funny thing with me is that I actually owned GTALCS and Lumines before the hacks were discovered. Lucky me 8)

My first hack was the 2.00 tiff exploit from Sep 2005 (I'd got my PSP on September 1st (Euro/Aus release date), after browsing PSP Updates/Hacker and forums since March).

Then a pong game through the exploit and a few days later a version spoofer (made the version number 1.00) which allowed a 1.50 update to be run. DOWNGRADING, those were the days :crying:

I actually updated from a hacked position to the latest patched firmwares twice, after having epiphanies about moving on from hacking lol. Luckily downgraders became available. Ironically post Pandora I've never had this epiphany :lol:

january39

eXo Staff
I can remember hunting down that certain lumines to ensure you got the pre patched version, my first psp had 3.30, i updated it to 3.50 for socom (because it told me too!) and by chance was the very FW you needed in order to d/g to 1.50 and then...

elite

Oldie moldie
I got my PSP in May 2008. Forums were still busy back then. It's been gradually decreasing till this day. Most of the new PSP-related threads ask for help on getting HB/CFW running. Innovations and ideas vanished.

Muratcan

I got my PSP in May 2008. Forums were still busy back then. It's been gradually decreasing till this day. Most of the new PSP-related threads ask for help on getting HB/CFW running. Innovations and ideas vanished.
Wow are you being serious? I'd stopped browsing the forums way before that, because I felt the lethargy started around late 2007. As I've mentioned before the golden age was roughly March 2005 (Hello World on 1.00)-Sep 2007 (Pandora). Making me all misty eyed thinking of the good old days :crying:

I hope the PS3 scene gets as many apps. The PS3 scene is certainly buzzing atm, the activity rates on the forum I go on (psx-scene.com) are very high, reminding me of forums.qj.net back in the day. The only thing is there isn't as many apps being released daily as there was on PSP. I suspect because this hack isn't as simple to do as the PSP one, and the PS3 is more expensive than the PSP. If all the big devs from the PSP scene could return it would be epic, there are already a few and a few faces from the Wii scene contributing too.

EDIT: Oh and the lack of an open source SDK, how could I forget that

Riorio99

The old PSP scene was great. There were some quality Homebrew apps, live the FPS Dungeons (I think), Squarez and PSP Revolution. Those games had me more hooked than any retail PSP game before or since. I sincerely hope that the PS3 doesn't fall down the same piracy sink hole that killed the PSP Scene.

elite

Oldie moldie
I think that the only thing that can revive the PSP scene is that developers should deviate to a more creative developing. By creative, I mean completely new ideas such as a new CFW with different cores than that of M33's, unique ideas in homebrew, etc...
What PSP users should do is to ask how to revive the PSP scene rather than its death status. I bet the majority of people will just go with the negative side and say: "Meh, it's dead now, can you revive dead people?".

Muratcan

I think that the only thing that can revive the PSP scene is that developers should deviate to a more creative developing. By creative, I mean completely new ideas such as a new CFW with different cores than that of M33's, unique ideas in homebrew, etc...
What PSP users should do is to ask how to revive the PSP scene rather than its death status. I bet the majority of people will just go with the negative side and say: "Meh, it's dead now, can you revive dead people?".
It's true though. Nothing will ever give me the same excitement the golden era did. Firstly because it won't be the same sense of "OMG custom themes on PSP" or "OMG GBA on PSP!" What else epic in this kind of sense is there left to do? (Mind you now that I think about it, the N64 emulator could theoretically run at full speed if a developer with enough talent gave it a go, at least on PSP 2000 and up models with their extra ram).

Secondly another big factor is I've grown up a lot since those days. I was 13 going on 14 when I first got into the PSP scene. I'm 19 now. Age makes people less enthusiastic, even if there was a miraculous revival, I doubt I would be excited because I'm not a kid anymore, which is kind of a depressing thought =(

Deathrow

Hacking using pandora made it all so easy - I started with lumines and thats when you held your breath and hoped.

Lmao, I held my breath with the 3.03 GTA exploit :p

"Oh shit oh shit oh shit, did it work???? Don't brick, dont brick, dont brick"

@Topic, its been slow, but dead? No.

Muratcan

Lmao, I held my breath with the 3.03 GTA exploit :p

"Oh shit oh shit oh shit, did it work???? Don't brick, dont brick, dont brick"

@Topic, its been slow, but dead? No.
Did that one have a progress bar? I remember the 2.50/2.60 GTA downgrader, and how you only knew it was save to restart your PSP if the memory stick light had stopped flashing!