• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is this legal?

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
Hi guys, i'm starting to develop iphone applications. I am starting to get a hang of it and am starting to make my first application. Its a history on skateboarding with a bunch of cool stuff. So I have a few questions on what is legal and what isn't.

- Using skateboarders names.
- Using company names and possibly logos.
- Linking to skateboarding web sites that aren't mine.

Thanks a lot.

twelve

I'm not dead
If you're going to be selling it then you need permission to use copyrighted materials (which will definitely include logos).

If it's going to be free then use whatever you like.

eighty4

The logos - no. The sites - not really, but it promotes the skateboard site so it'd be pretty dumb of them to sue you for that, but it has happened before. Company names require you to put the little R in a circle or TM after you use them.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
Kind of got mixed answers here.

To my understanding as of now. Its okay to use their names as long as I am not making profit off of it, and I put a little (R) thing beside their names?

I can't imagine names being trademarked. It would be retarded to have everything like "tony Hawk(r)", and shit.

I just read the wikipedia page on skateboarding and it doesn't really use many brands and stuff as it is, but the ones it does use, doesn't have the trademarks beside it. Im also guessing that somewhere on the site there is a "Everything belongs to their copyright owners" or something along those lines.

Tsunaii

eMummeh
Kind of got mixed answers here.

To my understanding as of now. Its okay to use their names as long as I am not making profit off of it, and I put a little (R) thing beside their names?

I can't imagine names being trademarked. It would be retarded to have everything like "tony Hawk(r)", and shit.

I just read the wikipedia page on skateboarding and it doesn't really use many brands and stuff as it is, but the ones it does use, doesn't have the trademarks beside it. Im also guessing that somewhere on the site there is a "Everything belongs to their copyright owners" or something along those lines.

As long as you have a resources and acknowledgments section there shouldn't be a problem.

twelve

I'm not dead
As long as you have a resources and acknowledgments section there shouldn't be a problem.
That's only if it's going to be free. If you attempt to profit from registered trademarks and copyrighted materials they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Wikipedia was mentioned earlier, all content on there is user generated and provided for free. If the owners of the trademarks decide they want something changed they can change it rather than needing to go the legal route.