• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Issues w/ Two 360s On Same Connection

ilyace

So me and my brother have been trying to play Black Ops together, we both have separate 360s and they're on the same internet connection. We can't join each others' XBL parties or Black Ops parties, so I figured its something that could be solved with port forwarding. However, both our 360s are connected to the internet through ICS (internet connection sharing) on Windows 7 (ethernet cable running from the 360 to the pc, and the pcs are connected through wifi), so I'm not too sure how I would go about forwarding the ports since neither of the 360s have static IPs. Any ideas?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've actually experienced the same problem myself and put it off as a problem with how ICS connects the Xbox to the internet and I don't think you can port forward with it. I'll do some looking however since I've got some time.

EDIT: Haven't found any concrete results yet but I have an idea. Since this is probably a problem with having two moderate NATs; if you manage to port forward one of the connections properly it might fix the problem - don't think it would be possible to forward them both.

As far as the Xbox 360's IP is concerned - try going into Network Settings on the Xbox 360 and see if it is listed anywhere. First try using that IP address to forward the ports I have listed below and then if that fails try the IP address of the computer the Xbox is connecting through.

Ports; TCP: 53, 80, 3074 UDP: 53, 88, 3074

EDIT 2: Also forward the ports under the Internet Connection Sharing Options (Wireless Properties --> Sharing --> Settings button)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
windows 7 changed something with how it does ICS, in my experiance, you shouldn't even be able to connect to each other in a system link game, i'm fairly certain that in xp, this wasn't an issue, but it's been awhile since i've used ICS in xp, so i can't 100% remember if that is true or not

ilyace

I've actually experienced the same problem myself and put it off as a problem with how ICS connects the Xbox to the internet and I don't think you can port forward with it. I'll do some looking however since I've got some time.

EDIT: Haven't found any concrete results yet but I have an idea. Since this is probably a problem with having two moderate NATs; if you manage to port forward one of the connections properly it might fix the problem - don't think it would be possible to forward them both.

As far as the Xbox 360's IP is concerned - try going into Network Settings on the Xbox 360 and see if it is listed anywhere. First try using that IP address to forward the ports I have listed below and then if that fails try the IP address of the computer the Xbox is connecting through.

Ports; TCP: 53, 80, 3074 UDP: 53, 88, 3074

EDIT 2: Also forward the ports under the Internet Connection Sharing Options (Wireless Properties --> Sharing --> Settings button)

Alright I'll try that right now, I'll post back results in a little bit.

EDIT: Tried forwarding the ports using the 360's IP, didn't work. The problem with that anyways is that it isn't a static IP, it changes on every reboot. I also tried using my comp's IP but that was a no go.

EDIT 2: Also is there a way of finding out your NAT status with the latest dashboard? Doing a "Test Xbox LIVE Connection" doesn't seem to show it anymore.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Alright I'll try that right now, I'll post back results in a little bit.

EDIT: Tried forwarding the ports using the 360's IP, didn't work. The problem with that anyways is that it isn't a static IP, it changes on every reboot. I also tried using my comp's IP but that was a no go.

EDIT 2: Also is there a way of finding out your NAT status with the latest dashboard? Doing a "Test Xbox LIVE Connection" doesn't seem to show it anymore.

Is you have MW2, that shows your NAT status on the Multiplayer menu. Or if you have Halo Reach, that shows your NAT status under "Network Status" on the Pause menu.

I've never had good experience with ICS personally and recommend you find a different way to connect as soon as you can :p

ilyace

why can't you put at least one of them on a static IP? then yeah DMZ it

It's the way ICS works I guess, it assigns a different IP every time. I've tried assigning it a static IP, I couldn't ping it though and it wouldn't connect to XBL.

LocutusEstBorg

Here is some concrete information.

You cannot have two 360s under the same NAT (basically sharing one internet connection through a router either hardware or ICS) unless it supports UPnP. For a single 360 you can port forward manually (there are several incoming ports required) and get everything working perfectly without UPnP. When there are two 360s you can't forward the same ports to both of them. Hence they must automatically forward different ports for themselves using UPnP. There are other combinations of settings that result in partial functionality such as voice or hosting not working which you may not realize immediately.

From what I can tell UPnP is broken on ICS on all versions of Windows. You can either get a hardware router (almost all support UPnP flawlessly) or use something like Kerio Control which has UPnP support instead of ICS.