• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Jailbreaking/Hacking Terminology

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I found that many people don't know what some terms mean. This is a small index to gerneralize the meaning of each term.

Blackra1n: a jailbreaking software that can jailbreak any iDevice up to firmware 3.1.2

Cydia: A third party program, similar to the App Store, which lets you download apps, themes and utilities only usable by a jailbroken iDevice. This is a commonly installed third party application when Jailbreaking.

Cydia Repo: Commonly known as a "source". It is a server containing files for an iDevice. Cydia can be configured to download from any repo.

DFU Mode: Similar to recovery mode, it is a state during which the iDevice can be modified. You must put your iPod in DFU mode to use some jailbreaking utilities.

Jailbreaking: the hacking of an iPod Touch or iPhone by installing third party software onto it such as cydia and installer.

iDevice: an apple product (usually reffering to the iPod Touch or iPhone).

Recovery Mode: When the the screen of your iDevice shows the wire pointing to the iTunes logo.

Respring: When you restart the springboard (commonly represented with a screen saying "setting language".

SBSettings: A springboard add-on that can be downloaded after jailbreaking an iDevice that lets you access various tools by swiping the status bar.

SpringBoard: The iDevice's 'home' screen, where apps are listed.

SSH: Meaning Secure SHell. Using an SSH client on an iDevice allows you to access it's files like in windows explorer. Meaning you can add, delete and edit any file on the device.

Status Bar: The bar at the top of the iDevice's home screen that displays the carrier name, time, signal strength and battery life.

Tethered Jailbreak: A temporary jailbreak that puts the iDevice
into recovery mode mode every time it is turned off.

Unlock: When an iPhone is unlocked it allows the user to use any carrier he or she desires.

Untethered Jailbreak: A permanent jailbreak which will remain until the iDevice is restored.

WinterBoard: An application that you can download via cydia or installer that allowes you to change your themes, background, icons, etc on your iDevice.

If anyone has anything to add I'll be happy to add it.

Cryox

Bro.
Nice. I wish this would have been made before Christmas lol.

And you should probably add Springboard(SB), Cydia, and DFU Mode. The first and third I am sure are not Jailbreaking specific, but I am also sure that not everyone knows what they mean.

Colm

Add these to your post:

Cydia: A program, similar to the App Store, which lets you download apps, themes and utilities only usable by a jailbroken iDevice.
Cydia repo: A server containing files for an iDevice. Cydia can be configured to download from any repo.
blackra1n: A jailbreaking program that works for all current iDevices up to firmware 3.1.2
SpringBoard: The iDevice's 'home' screen, where apps are listed.
WinterBoard: A fully customisable version of SpringBoard. Used by most themes.
DFU Mode: Similar to recovery mode, it is a state during which the iDevice can be modified. You must put your iPod in DFU mode to use some jailbreaking utilities.
SBSettings: A useful settings tool intergrated into the SpringBoard

Archaemic

Respring: To restart Springboard.
Unlock: To allow an iPhone to use any carrier, not just AT&T in the US, etc.

Then there's all the *sn0w apps that I don't feel like looking up right now.

B

Bizarre

Beside Cydia repo, put in brackets "source" people say "add this source" more then repos.