• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Jailbreaking now legal?

!Kernel Panic!

OUTL4W 4Lyfe

B

Bizarre

I always thought jailbreaking was legal, just pirating games the the illeagal part.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I'm pretty sure it was never legal since you had to modify Apple made files and they were copyrighted.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Well it was always a grey area. Now it's fully deemed as legal. Good to see our government fighting for consumers this time. It could've gone the other way.

Bill

So hacking a PSP is now officially legal as long as it's to use homebrew, I suppose.

Skorpian

Hmmm...
Well, I suppose hacking every console is legal within limits. For example :
PSP : Playing homebrew and using awesome plugins ( if it wasn't for joysens my analog would've been dead now because replacing it doesn't do so good ) and playing legal backups. UMD's make noise, and are very slower than ISO's.
PS2 : Not so much except for playing legal backups, and it'd be greater from internal hdd + network adapter
Xbox 360 : Playing legal backups ( as you know if you accidentally move your 360 while playing your DVD will have many scratches so it's good to have a backup of it ) and playing from a hdd if your 360 can be jtagged is great because it reduces the noise.
That's all I could remember.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Well, I suppose hacking every console is legal within limits. For example :
PSP : Playing homebrew and using awesome plugins ( if it wasn't for joysens my analog would've been dead now because replacing it doesn't do so good ) and playing legal backups. UMD's make noise, and are very slower than ISO's.
PS2 : Not so much except for playing legal backups, and it'd be greater from internal hdd + network adapter
Xbox 360 : Playing legal backups ( as you know if you accidentally move your 360 while playing your DVD will have many scratches so it's good to have a backup of it ) and playing from a hdd if your 360 can be jtagged is great because it reduces the noise.
That's all I could remember.
i've always felt the noise argument is just a lame excuse to say why you'd mod a console.

B

Bizarre

I always thought it was legal LOL. Oh well learn something new everyday.

Deathrow

I'm pretty sure it says Iphones or DVDs. Nothing about PSPs or other devices.

!Kernel Panic!

OUTL4W 4Lyfe
No...you silly goose...

But you can leagally bypass the css on DVDs for educational purposes.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm pretty sure it says Iphones or DVDs. Nothing about PSPs or other devices.

The idea is that since it's legal to circumvent the protection in place on the iPhone in order to obtain interoperability, it's legal to do the exact same thing to the PSP. :p