• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Just thinking out loud

Hey guys , i'm kinda new to these achievement tracker groups and need some general opinions on some matters i wrestling with in my head for some time .
Before I start shooting questions at you guys I will introduce myself a bit .
I am a Belgian male aged 36 and I have to admit that I don't know much of technology , where to surf for good info , price evolutions and computer stuff in general . But Its bit frustrating to accept that because it ain't gonna improve for me.
In daily life im extremely organised in everything I plan , my possessions , my collections etc ...
I'm starting to accept that when i have problems , i need others to fix things for me , explaining me what to do.
The problem is that i don't understand technical terms when they talk about those solutions , especially when its in technical english . Leaving me unanswered and feeling stupid .. I always been kind of a lone wolf , self sufficient , but i think i am stuck at the windows 98 era . Its getting harder and harder to be up to date.. and yes it sucks :p
I always have been collecting things in life and games was one of those things . Started with Amiga and commodore back in the days till now . I really wanna start to make me a very detailled and massive archive of my collections of games , nerdy gadgets , Star Wars and multiple trading cardgames and maybe to find mature likeminded people to connect with to play games , share information or just boost eachothers goals .

Before i can start my epic mammoth task I need some general opinions on my questions ..

1 : Isn't it the best way to do achievement hunting and collecting , archiving with only one basic main platform when it comes to PC games . Why is it that people need Uplay ? origin ? battlenet , GOG , Epic games etc etc when you can put everything on steam to stockpile and keeping it easier to oversee , or am I missing something important.

2 : Maybe its a stupid question but why do people use so many different sites to get similar overviews , stats and databases . Isnt there some kind of central intelligence network somewhere online that covers everything you need to know bout .

3 : Are there any ways to earn actual money that you can transfer back to your real bank account instead of earning cash to redeem again on those gameplatforms .
Is it possible to sell or trade used games anywhere .

4. is there an expiry date on game keys , items , cards or can it be kept for years without risking thats it totaly worthless or unusable.

5 . How can you tell what achievements count , which ones disappear or become worthless in value . How does the achievement score rating works in simple words.

Hopely someone can give me some light in the darkness , by getting me some answers .

Everyone is free to add me if they want on steam . Don't got many friends already there yet so I gladly accept fellow achievement hunters or game collectors.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/dxthreme

Greetings ,

Gamer Steve

Hey guys , i'm kinda new to these achievement tracker groups and need some general opinions on some matters i wrestling with in my head for some time .
I am a Belgian male aged 36 and I have to admit that I don't know much of technology , where to surf for good info , price evolutions and computer stuff in general . But Its bit frustrating to accept that because it ain't gonna improve for me.
In daily life im extremely organised in everything I plan , my possessions , my collections etc ...
I'm starting to accept that when i have problems , i need others to fix things for me , explaining me what to do.
The problem is that i don't understand technical terms when they talk about those solutions , especially when its in technical english . Leaving me unanswered and feeling stupid .. I always been kind of a lone wolf , self sufficient , but i think i am stuck at the windows 98 era . Its getting harder and harder to be up to date.. and yes it sucks :p
I always have been collecting things in life and games was one of those things . Started with Amiga and commodore back in the days till now . I really wanna start to make me a very detailled and massive archive of my collections of games , nerdy gadgets , Star Wars and multiple trading cardgames and maybe to find mature likeminded people to connect with to play games , share information or just boost eachothers goals .

Before i can start my epic mammoth task I need some general opinions on my questions ..

1 : Isn't it the best way to do achievement hunting and collecting , archiving with only one basic main platform when it comes to PC games . Why is it that people need Uplay ? origin ? battlenet , GOG , Epic games etc etc when you can put everything on steam to stockpile and keeping it easier to oversee , or am I missing something important.

2 : Maybe its a stupid question but why do people use so many different sites to get similar overviews , stats and databases . Isnt there some kind of central intelligence network somewhere online that covers everything you need to know bout .

3 : Are there any ways to earn actual money that you can transfer back to your real bank account instead of earning cash to redeem again on those gameplatforms .

4. is there an expiry date on game keys , items , cards or can it be kept for years without risking thats it totaly worthless or unusable.

5 . How can you tell what achievements count , which ones disappear or become worthless in value . How does the achievement score rating works in simple words.

Hopely someone can give me some light in the darkness , by getting me some answers .

Everyone is free to add me if they want on steam . Don't got many friends already there yet so I gladly accept fellow achievement hunters or game collectors.

Greetings ,
If you plan to.use exophase in honest truth you can track on every platform or one....its what you want...I play on every platform that has achievements....though I been maining steam lately.....as for achievements that are worth or worthless..I say get the ones u want weather they are easy or hard...achievement hunting is a hobby...and for any game that steam may not track because it is a spam game or has restriction....exophase will track it for you

Nackin

1. Generally it is, but not all games are on all platforms, steam has most of them but sitll not every single one

2. Cause it's easier that way. When it comes to exhophase i hold it dear mostly due to multiplatform tracking.

3. Generally no, but on steam you can for example sell items on external shops for real money. Still not an official way.

4. On PC you dont own any game, you just have a license to play them, so technically steam etc. can take that from you whenever it pleases, but it wont just happen. When it comes to keys not yet claimed, some of them can have expiry dates

5. Every platform has it's own value system for trophies. For example you have 4 types of them on playstation - bronze, silver, gold, platinum. On xbox every achivment has its gamerscore value. If you ask about how exophase value them, im not sure.

1. Generally it is, but not all games are on all platforms, steam has most of them but sitll not every single one

2. Cause it's easier that way. When it comes to exhophase i hold it dear mostly due to multiplatform tracking.

3. Generally no, but on steam you can for example sell items on external shops for real money. Still not an official way.

4. On PC you dont own any game, you just have a license to play them, so technically steam etc. can take that from you whenever it pleases, but it wont just happen. When it comes to keys not yet claimed, some of them can have expiry dates

5. Every platform has it's own value system for trophies. For example you have 4 types of them on playstation - bronze, silver, gold, platinum. On xbox every achivment has its gamerscore value. If you ask about how exophase value them, im not sure.
ty for the useful info

Thornskade

Oof, holy misinformation.

You always "only" have a license to play games, regardless of platform. That's how it works. Same with movies and books.

Sure, Steam (and every other store, including PlayStation and Microsoft) has a system in place that allows them to revoke licenses on their end through their shop. Why won't they just do that under normal circumstances? Simple, because that would be highly illegal. Because you DO own these games, or the license to be precise – they sold it to you, it's no longer theirs to decide over. That's how the law works regarding digital goods.

The only time they ever revoke licenses is if they were acquired fraudulently, for example via a stolen credit card and a chargeback occured.

And another thing, for any game that is DRM free, as long as you keep it installed there's nothing that could possibly prevent you from accessing it, not even revoked licenses. (Also most DRM is easily circumvented but that's a whole other can of worms.) Some games on Steam are DRM free, but there are other stores like GOG, IndieGala or itch.io that sell guaranteed DRM free games. Furthermore, DRM-free (or disk-based DRM) games on PC are also irrevokable on anyone else's end.

Sachifus

Greetings ,
Hello and welcome! I'm also from Belgium. I just added you on Steam ;)