• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Laptop Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfulfate

I currently have a HP DV6598us with 4gb ram, 200gb HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.50GHz, and a Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128mbs dedicated memory. I'm looking to upgrade to a better laptop with a bigger harddrive, more powerful processor, better graphics card, and possibly one that's lighter. I'm looking to spend around $600 so I dont want a beast gaming laptop, just one that can play older games like fallout 3 well. A laptop with these specs would be ideal(minus the blu ray drive). I looked around for that specific model but it seems Sony discontinued it so I tried to build a laptop at Dell/hp/Sony with similar specs but the price is so high I'd be better off buying the Alienware m11x which I can get for around $800 on ebay. Any suggestions?

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
If you're looking for a serious upgrade (which'll last for some time) I'd suggest you hike up your budget to atleast $700 and preferably $1,000. To be honest, your current laptop has pretty good specs aside from possible the processor. Now while the price range you've given doesn't give too much room to be able to get maybe a lasting gaming machine (with preferably a core i5 or i7), you might want to consider the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152157

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...PDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1281616225&sr=1-6

Oh, and I can fill you in with maybe better options if you give me an idea of what screen size you want?

Sinfulfate

I dont really care about the screen size, just the weight. Anything under 6 lbs is fine and I'll up my budget to $700. The MSI M6275-419US looks like a pretty nice deal for the price but I'll wait and see what other suggestions you have.

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Well, after doing a bit of research, I've come up with the following (aside from the 2 I've already mentioned):

MSI-X420-004US:
Its got a weaker CPU than your current laptop, but the graphics are more powerful. Wouldn't Recommend it though.

MSI - GX630-037CA:
Powerful and worth the price to be honest.

Though I still think the first MSI was by far the best for its price.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Not a huge fan of Sony's laptops (well at least for bang-for-buck). The second one that mortalinstinct listed is pretty good, although I would have to see how the 9600m compares to the 310m.

EDIT: 9600m > 310m so the second MSI one is probably your best bet

Sinfulfate

Alright it looks like I'm gonna go for the MSI GX630. Now I just need to find somewhere to buy it since it's out of stock on like every site. I actually just saw one on ebay for $500 or best offer and as soon as I went to send the guy an offer he accepted another offer for $450 =/ Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.