• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

LCD TV's

PsXtreme

If I were you i wouldnt waste money on a LCD because they are going to be replaced in the next 2 years. I cant give much infomation on whats going to replace it but I will say this, Philips is going to come out with a new technology in the next year or 2 that will revolutionize the tv. However, if you want to get something now I would recommend getting a projector with atleast 2000 lumens and a 1600:1 contrast ratio. They look pretty cool and thats what i have currently.

- PsXtreme

shadowforte

If I were you i wouldnt waste money on a LCD because they are going to be replaced in the next 2 years. I cant give much infomation on whats going to replace it but I will say this, Philips is going to come out with a new technology in the next year or 2 that will revolutionize the tv.

And how do you know this?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
meh,holographic tech doesn't appeal to me to be honest.all creative media except sculpture is in a 2d format.....its been that way for 100's,if not 1000's of years....and yes,even our so-called "3d games" are really 2d since they are shown on a flat screen.

so i can't really see any way they can improve television all that much really without holographics....maybe more and better definition and brightness and contrast but it will plateau eventually.......

or i could be speaking a load of gibberish.... :D

shadowforte

Well I was watching this show call 2057, and they were talking about holo's already in works. I will say this though, it will never be as good as playing Mario on the NES.

PsXtreme

i'd guess that he's a phillips employee ;)

My uncle is a phillips employee and he told me about the new technology coming out. Its going to be used for more then just tv's and its going to be very light weight and something you could even use as blinds and have it look pretty cool.

- PsXtreme

PsXtreme

Well its not called LCD Paper but its something of that nature, like you can put it on the window and make a background that looks like your in the mountains or whatever you want it to be and you can use it to watch tv or put it on the ceiling.

- PsXtreme

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well its not called LCD Paper but its something of that nature, like you can put it on the window and make a background that looks like your in the mountains or whatever you want it to be and you can use it to watch tv or put it on the ceiling.

- PsXtreme

sounds like magic to me......thats what the teachers used in Hogwarts isn't it,to make the ceiling of the main hall look like the sky outside?... :D

XsavioR

Ive got a small hd lcd... my ma has a projection ,, and my brother has i think its called dlp.. its about 1200 for 50 inches, with a stand. His is nicer then the hd lcd. I wouldnt buy another projection one (old school projection sets).

If your budjet is from 5,000 up ,, think about getting a projector. Great ones go for about 8999 and up. But with 2-5 grand you can turn your wall into a nice tv.

Something tells me the new development will be a film you put over windows , that when lights on it ,its not clear, but when its off ,, its clear as glass. It must have to do with projectors because the guy advised a projector.

PsXtreme

its doesnt have anything to do with a projector, its going to be something like a LCD screen and you can wirelessly use it as a tv or whatever you want it for. Its going to be cheap to manufacter but not to buy when it first comes out. I have the feeling after its been released for about 1-2 years the price will drop.