• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Retro Legend of Zelda: the Oracles (and other handheld variants)

Scorned

So out of boredom and after beating L.A.Noire (haven't gone back yet to do everything else...that time will come), I found my Gameboy Advanced and started playing the old Zelda handhelds again. Namely Links Awakening and the two Oracles. I couldnt find Link to the Past sadly, but yeah it brought back some great memories and reminded me how much I enjoyed the ol gb Zelda's.

Anybody else have enjoy them/have a favorite?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I love mostly all of them. Though I did not enjoy playing them growing up until I was about 14. Ironically enough LoZ (the OG) was the first game I ever played anyway.
Most of the time growing up , I just didn't have the wits to think my way through them. So I would watch my brother play and help him out for hours on end.

Though now that i'm grown i've gone back and enjoyed them all for the most part.

My personal favorites are LTTP and TP

Scorned

I love mostly all of them. Though I did not enjoy playing them growing up until I was about 14. Ironically enough LoZ (the OG) was the first game I ever played anyway.
Most of the time growing up , I just didn't have the wits to think my way through them. So I would watch my brother play and help him out for hours on end.

Though now that i'm grown i've gone back and enjoyed them all for the most part.

My personal favorites are LTTP and TP

Yeah when I played the original Zelda back then i was confused beyond belief, and even when I picked it up again I could understand why..but still, enjoyable game. Yeah I wanna play through all the Zeldas again by the end of this year, I just need to find somebody with a copy of Link to the Past. Twilight Princess i finished earlier, but i think I liked Majoras Mask better imo.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
as far as handhelds go, link's awakening was great, but the oracles were much better imo. i still remember buying link's awakening on the day it came out, sometime in the early 90s. it was the 2nd or 3rd game i got for my gameboy. anyway, nostalgia aside, the oracles were much more enjoyable imo. the games themselves were some of the best of the gb color era, and having both and being able to unlock all the secret stuff had me playing them over and over again.

for the series in general, i think lttp will always be my favorite overall, followed closely by oot and tp. i cant tell you how many hours i put into lttp. i could probably tell you how to beat every dungeon just from memory xD

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Link's Awakening was great. Pretty much the only reason I bought an OG Game Boy. Picked up one of those bulky light boy attachments so I could play when I didn't have a light source nearby. Kids have it easy these days with the backlit handhelds! :p

Overall, I'd have to say LttP is my favorite. Close to perfection. The Dark/Light world mechanic was brilliant.

Wind Waker started off on a really high note, though I felt it was bogged down by too many fetch quests. Also, the sailing got repetitive after awhile. I would really like to see another Zelda done in the same art style.

While OoT is good, I feel it hasn't aged as well as the rest (currently playing through the 3DS conversion). I still need to play through TP.

Deathrow

I bought Link's Awakening on the eShop for my 3DS. The game is exactly how I remembered on the Gameboy and I forgot how awesome the game was. I also am currently playing Ocarina of Time 3D.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
Picked up one of those bulky light boy attachments so I could play when I didn't have a light source nearby. Kids have it easy these days with the backlit handhelds! :p
exactly! i always used to get in trouble for having a light on in the car at night playing my gameboy (apparently my parents couldn't drive with an interior light on). did you have the huge magnifying glass clip-on thing or just the single flex light?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
exactly! i always used to get in trouble for having a light on in the car at night playing my gameboy (apparently my parents couldn't drive with an interior light on). did you have the huge magnifying glass clip-on thing or just the single flex light?

Haha, I had the huge magnifying glass. Years later when I got a GBA, I picked up a worm light. Gave off an annoying glare unless you titled it just the right way, was a must for playing Castlevania though.