• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Linux finally ported to iPhone!

This should explain some of the developer's intentions.

Reasons in short:
  • Greater portability (Apps don't need to be)
  • Greater flexibility (like USB Mass Storage drivers)
  • Ability to use Linux mobile derivatives such as Android on the iPhone

It's an interesting concept, and I would love to try it, but my 2G can't jailbreak yet...

mohaas05

Keep in mind this is still just the kernel and the basic stuff (i.e. cli, drivers, etc.). Doing anything fancy like Android would require some major additions like Java, the windowing system, etc.

Hiratai said:
Installing ti would be dumb if there's no touchscreen support whatsoever.

There's still alot of work to be done. This release was to show that they managed to get Linux to boot, in which they had reverse-engineer the existing one to do so. I'm unsure if it will move beyond this stage, however. Alot of work for a few benefits, and judging from the article, some of the Dev team agree.

WonderlustKing

Vanilla Sex
How are you finding it?
My itouch was a lot funner to play around with but my zune is perfect for what I need it to be. An Mp3 player. :D And now I don't have to pick an choose what albums to put on my itouch. With all the extra memory I can just put everything on there. And it saves me a lot of hassle when I want to listen to music on my 360

Hellcat

Contributor
This is still very basic and in a very early stage, uncomplete, many drivers and other stuff missing.... but I'd be very much interested in this evolving into a real Linux with WiFi support! That would be sweet!

I'd even go through the hazzle of setting up a dualboot for this!

Seth

MD Party Room
My itouch was a lot funner to play around with but my zune is perfect for what I need it to be. An Mp3 player. :D And now I don't have to pick an choose what albums to put on my itouch. With all the extra memory I can just put everything on there. And it saves me a lot of hassle when I want to listen to music on my 360

I have both and I love my zune more.....The fact I can have have my entire movie collection everywhere I so rocks...Plus my semi large 12000 song mp3 collection... The only thing I find disappointing is the battery I cant get this thing to last past one movie on low bright...

Tho I imange that have the zune pass and download songs anywhere is freaking sweet.

WonderlustKing

Vanilla Sex
I have both and I love my zune more.....The fact I can have have my entire movie collection everywhere I so rocks...Plus my semi large 12000 song mp3 collection... The only thing I find disappointing is the battery I cant get this thing to last past one movie on low bright...

Tho I imange that have the zune pass and download songs anywhere is freaking sweet.
I have the first four seasons of the office on mine:) I love it. But yeah the battery life is my only complaint. I have a car charger though so I can still watch movies on long trips without worrying

Seth

MD Party Room
Dont work on a plane....Where just I spent the day useing it and feel to lazy to charge it...

Or when it looks 75% full and then just dies on me..

~NeonFire~

Linux on the iPhone has loads of potential, even if this version is very limited and incomplete. I can't wait to see what this project will have in store in a year or so. :)