• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Linux Sucks! (And what can be done to fix it)

Seth

MD Party Room
Lunduke.com Linux Sucks! Video from LinuxFest NW

This is a nice little video on the many problem with linux,while I do not agree with some of them, he makes many valid points and I really wish many of these distro would address... hell make a new X.Org....

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
here is a reason: that vid is virtually unwatchable under flash in ubuntu 9.04

Hardrive

Contributor
He makes good points. I do not agree with the packaging aspect, as I believe that packaging is what makes a distro unique. Myself, I prefer Arch's rolling release model. But hey, to each his own, and this is what rapes the dev.

I listen to their podcast, The Linux Action Show, quite frequently. They're funny, energetic, and know their stuff. I'd suggest checking that out as well.

dtom2444

well, i haven't seen the video, but i have to say, i ONLY use Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) at home and on my laptop because i prefer it to Windows. I only switch to Vista when i really have to. While it is by no means perfect (no operating system will ever be perfect), for what i use my laptop for, it is as close to perfect as possible. It is all about personal preference. What's right for one person, can be absolutely wrong for the next.

Joey

Windows 7 is perfect to me... Haven't had a single problem that wasn't 100% my fault.

Crank

Crank it up!
The Xorg fuckup in the beginning of the video is a classic example of Linux suckage. :)

I wonder how the funding problem for professional quality FOSS software will be solved... You can't exactly use the "give the software for free, sell the services" model for every kind of program (think Photoshop for example).

Myself, I prefer Arch's rolling release model. But hey, to each his own, and this is what rapes the dev.

Indeed, that's why I used Arch too. Waiting months for new programs and having to do a dist-upgrade to get them was a big turn-off. But then with individual packaging there's the possibility of distro-specific fuckups, like the Debian OpenSSL incident.

Maybe have a distro with binaries directly from the developers? (a la Windows ;-))

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Xorg isn't part of linux. It is it's own thing. Linux is only the kernel.

Everything there is not part of "Linux", but parts of individual distributions which yes, can completely and entirely blow.

Quite frankly I have zero problems with Fedora at this moment in time, and it's technically a beta.

I even have my own homecooked kernel. I have flash(Adobe status) and SUN Java all working without problems. RPM works perfectly, however some people prefer other formats such as .tar.gz/bz2.

The fact of the matter is, that when you say ONE thing, or even a couple of things suck that are created FOR the kernel, not BY the kernel, is completely wrong.

Also, there isn't a dedicated set of kernel developers aside from Linus himself, whom obviously will be a part of it for while.

They do have distributions by kernel developers, IE RedHat(Or CentOS, which is the same thing w/o the paid support).

Oh yeah, Gstreamer/Pulse FTW.

Applications suck. Point made. Skype for linux also really sucks.

Crank

Crank it up!
Xorg isn't part of linux. It is it's own thing. Linux is only the kernel.

I think it's -really- time to get over the whole GNU/Linux vs. Linux debacle. It's just intentional nitpicking, steering the focus away from the actual matter. Yes, (most) people know that Linux is only the kernel, but in colloquial sense it is also the whole bunch of programs ducttaped around the kernel to form an operating system.

And yeah, it's also time to get rid of the jungle that is Linux audio. Just fucking choose Gstreamer or Pulse and _make it good_. I absolutely hated having to use OSS with Wine, because the ALSA driver sound quality sucked (even by my standards, which -are- pretty low with audio). Result? Loads of shuffling with restarting programs in a certain order to get sound in either side working. Hooray.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I think it's -really- time to get over the whole GNU/Linux vs. Linux debacle. It's just intentional nitpicking, steering the focus away from the actual matter. Yes, (most) people know that Linux is only the kernel, but in colloquial sense it is also the whole bunch of programs ducttaped around the kernel to form an operating system.

And yeah, it's also time to get rid of the jungle that is Linux audio. Just fucking choose Gstreamer or Pulse and _make it good_. I absolutely hated having to use OSS with Wine, because the ALSA driver sound quality sucked (even by my standards, which -are- pretty low with audio). Result? Loads of shuffling with restarting programs in a certain order to get sound in either side working. Hooray.

If that's the case, then each individual distribution is an operating system, and you have every right to diss each single one, but they are in no way linked to each other, with the except of debian->forks and RHEL/CentOS. So, by all means, pick and chew at Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Just don't diss the kernel.

and GNU/Linux is the software built for the kernel, while Linux is the kernel itself, from what I understand.

Quite frankly, the fact that Linux isn't a centralized distribution with one set group making all the decisions is IMO what makes it great. The fact that you can do WHATEVER the hell you want with it IMO is the good part about it.

If you don't want to do whatever you want and want to sacrifice freedom for usability then by all means use Apple and Windows.

Crank

Crank it up!
If you don't want to do whatever you want and want to sacrifice freedom for usability then by all means use Apple and Windows.
Unfortunately that's the tradeoff I have to do. There's only one occasion where Windows has become a big obstacle: some drivers (ext2fsd and libusb) can't be installed on a 64-bit Vista/7 because the drivers must be signed. Workarounds exist, sure, but I couldn't bother.

More often the constraints are set by my own skills than the OS I'm running. 'Till then I'm perfectly content using Windows. But it's indeed a bit dull to use, can't wait for updates to break shit like there's no end anymore. Oh well, I still got an extra partition and an Arch Linux installation stick. :p

Joey

If that's the case, then each individual distribution is an operating system, and you have every right to diss each single one, but they are in no way linked to each other, with the except of debian->forks and RHEL/CentOS. So, by all means, pick and chew at Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Just don't diss the kernel.

and GNU/Linux is the software built for the kernel, while Linux is the kernel itself, from what I understand.

Quite frankly, the fact that Linux isn't a centralized distribution with one set group making all the decisions is IMO what makes it great. The fact that you can do WHATEVER the hell you want with it IMO is the good part about it.

I'm looking at this post, and it feels like trying to read spanish...

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
And that is why Linux will never have a large share in the operating system market.
Because Joey doesn't get the finer details of GNU/Linux vs Linux debate? Who cares? The end user does not give a fuck about it. Slap on an Ubuntu installation, give them Firefox and Thunderbird for their email, good to go.

WonderlustKing

Vanilla Sex
I use Fedora 11 and i haven't had most of the problems he talks about in the video. He does have some really good points although most of that stuff doesn't really affect or bother me.
I do have to reinstall my ATI driver every time I update to get compiz to work though. That's really the only problem I've had with this distro but I also had that problem on Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. I've never had the sound problems he talks about. The first thing I do when I install a new distro is install all my codecs and after that I don't have a problem with video or audio playback