• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Looking for a variety of games that use different learning methods for tutorials

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm currently working on a creative project for an Educational Psychology class and was wondering if anyone could think of games that offered unique tutorial or tutorial modes in-game. I'm going to be creating a video presentation showing the various modes of instruction used in games, the motivation to play those games, and how developers condition the players.

I was trying to think of a game that punished you in the tutorial setting specifically, or something like the sentry guns / land mines in Halo 3 that prevented the player from venturing out of the map. I'm planning on recording most of the footage from the games and putting them together in a short video and explanation so I'm still looking for some games.

So far games I have for tutorials:

Portal 2 (intro)
Halo 3 (sentry guns / land mines)
Crysis 2 (gradually learn more as you progress in the first level)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (apply what we already know about racing in general to learn the mechanics fairly quickly)
Heroes of Newerth (an entirely separate tutorial mode)

january39

eXo Staff
Its very simplistic but i think the tomb raider games would fit into your criteria, specifically underworld. There is always the final fantasy series (a discussion topic in itself on how good the ff tuts are)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Its very simplistic but i think the tomb raider games would fit into your criteria, specifically underworld. There is always the final fantasy series (a discussion topic in itself on how good the ff tuts are)

I thought about Final Fantasy XIII since the one thing that comes to my mind when I think of the game is the endless tutorials and new mechanics being introduced. Might substitute Uncharted for Tomb Raider, pretty sure they were/are similar in their tutorials. Thanks for that suggestion

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
You will die 100% of the time in the Demon's Souls tutorial if you aren't a seasoned player. I'm sure Bran can confirm this.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You will die 100% of the time in the Demon's Souls tutorial if you aren't a seasoned player. I'm sure Bran can confirm this.

Thanks, definitely looking for a title like that. I might just buy the game now, been looking for a reason to try that game out. Should be relatively cheap