• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Looking for recommendations for an iPhone 4 case

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've already got a couple of hip holdsters that I use for work, so I'm looking for a protective case for the weekend when my phone is in my pocket. There seem to be a million of them out there, but I'm looking fir something that's pretty minimalistic. Any suggestions or recommendations?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I've already got a couple of hip holdsters that I use for work, so I'm looking for a protective case for the weekend when my phone is in my pocket. There seem to be a million of them out there, but I'm looking fir something that's pretty minimalistic. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Griffin Reveal Etch

I got it free in the free case program and it's surprisingly good. Appears to have done a good job so far from stopping any scratches on my phone and it fits pretty well. It has a carbon look on the back and rubber sides. I was worried that the rubber would catch on my jeans but it hasn't been an issue.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Does anyone here have one of these? (Speck PixelSkin HD) I've been half-assing some research this morning from the couch while watching ESPN and I like the look of this skin.

[video=youtube;4OcLQ5MOyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OcLQ5MOyPQ[/video]

ilyace

I got the Incase Snap from the free case program (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl59630) and I'm loving it so far. It snaps onto the phone really well, and protects the back of the phone really well. I haven't had any issues with it interfering with my screen protector on the front either. The case is made of a hard material (not like silicone or anything) and the phone feels really secure in it. There are openings for everything on the phone (camera + flash on the back, lock button and headphone jack, speakers and dock connector at the bottom, etc).

ilyace

It comes in two colors, both of which are clear. The one I got is a black/smoke color. As far as scratching, I haven't had any issues yet. I tried scratching the case with my fingernail, and wiping it off on a soft surface gets rid of any marks that are left over.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I was about to order the Speck PixelSkin but I changed it last moment to the Griffin Reveal Etch (Same as MenaceInc), and I'm happy I did. Everything is perfectly aligned, its still nice and slim, feels comfortable in hand and pockets, and the sleep button is easy to press.

I also ordered a few cheap ones from DealExtreme (PVC Bumpers, Silicone, Plastic), but they can't compare with the Griffin one (Unlike my 3G where I liked the cheap cases better than the expensive ones). I do not recommend any iPhone 4 cases from them atm

What put me off about the PixelSkin is at the time when I was looking through the pictures, the spaces between the squares looked deeper, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get gunk out of there. Seeing that video of it up close now it doesn't seem like that will happen so it should fit as nicely as the Griffin making it still a good choice.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
The Speck PixelSkin HD is nice and fits rather sung on the phone, but be warned that the power button and the volume button are aggravatingly hard to press with that case on.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Any issues with screen protector bubbling Craig? Do you also use a back protector with the HD?

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Any issues with screen protector bubbling Craig? Do you also use a back protector with the HD?

I have a skin on the back of my iPhone. As for screen protectors; I have never been able to get one on perfectly. usually after a week or so the sides start coming up and I end up taking the whole thing off.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Same here, I've never used one. My 3G was scratched to shit and I didnt really care about it, but the screen on the 4 is so nice I want to take are of it.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Same here, I've never used one. My 3G was scratched to shit and I didnt really care about it, but the screen on the 4 is so nice I want to take are of it.

I never had a case for my 3G and over two years I think I only had two tiny scratches on the screen side. The back was a bit scuffed up but it was still all good. I only got a case for my new phone because they were free and I liked the carbon detail :3

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
The Speck PixelSkin HD is nice and fits rather sung on the phone, but be warned that the power button and the volume button are aggravatingly hard to press with that case on.

I read that Speck has revised the new models to fix the button issues. They also changed the keyhole cut out in the back to an oval one. Mine is sitting in my mailbox at the moment, I just tracked it.

LocutusEstBorg

After much research I've found that the PixelSkin HD is the best iPhone case ever made. Got mine free with the case program, but it's still sitting in Singapore with my friend who got me the phone. It's one of the few cases where you can actually take a photo with the flash on. The flash fires at almost a 180 degree angle and on most cases the image is just white due to it reflecting of the edges.

ALL screen protectors start bubbling and peeling off with a case. There is a Zagg Case Friendly version which is smaller and the edges shouldn't peel in a case, but I dunno whether it actually holds up yet.

Note: Don't get put off by all the terrible reviews of the Zagg for the iPhone 4. From what I can tell the early versions have very little/weak adhesive and in the application videos people just slide it around the phone until it's in place. The adhesive on mine which I got recently was INSANELY strong. Even after soaking it in the liquid it would stick like tape to anything it touched. There was no friggin way in hell it would slide around like the application videos. Had to drop it exactly in place. It had been on for a month and it didn't look like it will EVER come off.

I got the phone for around $220 cheaper than I expected so I blew up the rest of the cash on a Grove case with Che Leonidas on the back saying "This.... is.... CUBA!". I've removed the front protector now because they all make the screen look like shit and I was blown away by the improvement the moment I removed it. Cases keep the screen off the surface anyway so unless you drop it on a raised object I doubt the screen will get scratched.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
My Power Support Crystal screen protector doesn't bubble at all and you can barely tell that it is on. It also doesn't use any adhesive, which is a plus. It stays put with static cling or something.

I do love the PixelSkin HD having had it on for a few weeks.

LocutusEstBorg

My Power Support Crystal screen protector doesn't bubble at all and you can barely tell that it is on. It also doesn't use any adhesive, which is a plus. It stays put with static cling or something.

Isn't that one more like a slightly rigid plastic sheet than like cloth? Guess that prevents it from lifting up. Is there a border of uncovered glass around it? My friend's Zagg bubbled instantly when he put on the PixelSkin HD with utmost care not to catch the edges.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've got the protector perfectly lined up and the PixelSkin comes perfectly flush to to the edges of it. I also have the back protector skin on, so that may make things line up differently than your friends.

Seth

MD Party Room