• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

M for Mature Folding at Home Team

Slasher

Suck It
I signed up. Had it running all night.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I've been doing work units jsharrad.

Hardrive

Contributor
jsharrad said:
You guys all give up on this or something? :p
I have the beta Nvidia drivers installed and have my computer in SLI for Far Cry 2. So no Cuda drivers, so no folding ;)

As soon as I finish it, I'll be back to folding.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Freshmilk said:
I can't believe no one's asked this yet, maybe it's just me being slow. I wanted to ask, what in the blue hell is 'folding'?

Go Google "folding at home." Make an effort buddy.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

What have we done so far?
We have had several successes. You can read about them on our Science page, on our Awards page, or go directly to our Results page.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I've downloaded and got the program running, put in the Team ID, ect. and let it do it's thing, but it's being weird. It doesn''t seem to be doing anything. I check the log file, and it downloaded all the files it needed, started the work and there were no more logs after "[17:06:57] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0 percent)'. WTF?

Edit: The log's still not updating and it's showing me 0/500 on the bottom right. Damnit...

Slasher

Suck It
Folding @ home is known to act erratically (at least to me), so in time it'll sort things out on it's own and start to work. Just leave it running in the taskbar, it should kick start by itself.

jsharrad

Yeah, the cpu ones are really really slow. The GPU ones are fast because they make use of all the processor cores inside your graphics card.. in my case my card has 216 processing cores so that's alot of data being crunched in parallel.

Nimsical

Hi, I'm Nima
I wonder if I should make my MacBook run a copy too, it's not hooked to the internet all the time.
I'm third/fourth on the list the last time I checked, keep the good work guys.
I should probably make this official, too.

Sliderkk

I didn't quite get what this was, is it like some university experiment or something?