• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Magazine "The Economist" on Piracy

Tche

I am not sure if this is the right place to publicize this. The moderators/administrators can move the thread if they judge it necessary. My intention is to contribute to the discussion regarding piracy :scared: , which should not be a taboo and has divided so much manufactures, developers and consumers. I don

fenerche

I don't quite agree that music piracy is a problem neither do i agree that it causes losses to the artist.Actually it's the exact opposite,piracy is THE best advertisement for the musicians ,because they make profit mainly from concerts,sold videos to music TVs and from selling their songs to radio stations.When a "pirate" (your average Joe pc user) downloads a given song,he decides wether it is worth buying (where buying=going to concerts,getting the album etc.). What made me lol was that a mother and a student were actually sued for $1.92 mil and $675,000. Wtf was the industry thinking?! I'm 100% sure this was done for popularity.Another thing I couldn't help noticing is that Napster was illegal but Spotify was absolutely legal,even though you download songs free of charge from both places.How come?
Not sure if this is what you call a constructive opinion,I tend to rarely be smart,so...sorry if this post is a waste of time.But i'd really like to hear opinions other than mine.

P.S
I think this should be moved to Smart Talk.

Noriyuke

Well, i kinda agree with the dude from above. The music industry has flourished in the past few years not solely by piracy, but a good portion of the music industry has been fueled by it. I remember when 50 Cent was getting huge, around 01-04 and Get Rich or Die Trying came out, then the massacre was about to come, and there was an up swell with the fans, they couldn't get enough. The Massacre gets leaked, his concerts get sold out for the next year. There was his retirement money that he blew on that stupid movie. Another case was the battle between 50 Cent and Kanye West, Kanye Leaked his album earlier than 50 and got more sales, which lead to 50 losing that stupid music battle. That shit happens in the music industry all the time.