• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

major explorer.exe issues in windows 7

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Ok, so my windows 7 has been totally fucking up recently. It crashes programs if i try to open a file, save a file, or basically any important feature.

For example:

In msn, if i try to send a file, it crashes, unless i drag the file into the convo box

In itunes, it crashes if i try to imprt a file, unless it is dragged in. It does however still work for importing folders

In MSWord, it crashes if I try to save a file, which is a pretty fucking important feature

It crashes if i right click a .rar to extract it, It only works if i double click and then do exctract to

So if somebody could please tell me wtf to do, I would greatly appreciate it!

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So many explorer.exe crashes... virus?

Cryox

Bro.
most likely a virus.
unless you installed some new software recently? I know that some programs don't play well when it's being run alongside other programs, so stuff like this happens.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
androidkaita, are you using 64bit windows 7 ?

Although your problem sounds a bit different, there's a bug with firefox 3.5 that causes explorer.exe to constantly crash with it installed. Mozilla says it will be fixed in 3.6, I still have the problem in beta 3 though.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
ESET is what I use, never let me down.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
uninstalling firefox did not help.

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

I am going to install ESET asap, hopefully that saves me, thanks

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
if you had viruses, explorer.exe was compromised. no ammount of fixing will help, only a format... Sorry =\

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
wait for a second opinion though... but I think you may have no choice.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
My problems seem to have been magically resolved now, thanks for all the suggestions guys

Good for you :p Glad you didn't have to resort to formatting.

LocutusEstBorg

Did you disable UAC? I don't think its even possible to damage the Windows installation without approving a UAC prompt. The best it could do is delete some non critical files without being UAC approved.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
fuck this is happening again, and now it wont let me do restore points. I restored once and everything was fine, but I had to reinstall itunes. Then I installed itunes and restarted and now its messed up again! I dont know whats going on its really frustrating

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
fuck this is happening again, and now it wont let me do restore points. I restored once and everything was fine, but I had to reinstall itunes. Then I installed itunes and restarted and now its messed up again! I dont know whats going on its really frustrating

Perhaps it's iTunes.