• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Making it easier to find what you want (with AJAX magic too!)

EvilSeph

Administrator
If you've been following our Curious Findings series, you'll have probably noticed that there has been a common theme among them: finding what you want. Well, in keeping up with this theme, our next update to M for Mature makes it easier for you guys to find what you want, in one way or another.

If you haven't noticed yet, we absolutely love AJAX here at M for Mature and judging by the responses we've been getting, we think you do too. Well, it just so happens that two of our updates include some AJAXey goodness that we can all take advantage of.

A while back, Chathurga posted a screenshot of his Prefix Filter Greasemonkey script in action in our General Feedback thread and since we're always on the lookout for ways to improve M for Mature, we were all over this treasure of a feature. As adding the basic Prefix Filter functionality would be overly simple and boring, we asked Chathurga to add some AJAX magic to it…and well, I think you'll agree that we made the right choice when you try out the new Prefix Filter feature we've added.
mfm_prefixchooser.png

One of the most common mistakes people make on forums is to repost threads that have already been covered. Usually, this is due to people not wanting to bother to take the effort of searching for the thread they want to create before posting. To remedy this problem, we've added an AJAX similar thread search feature to the New Thread functionality. This new AJAX addition to New Thread posting is triggered after you've typed in your thread title and have moved on to typing the actual contents of your thread.
mfm_ajaxsimilar_newthread.png

mfm_ajaxsimilar_found.png

As with all things AJAX, it is kind of hard to explain what happens (but we tried anyway, with screenshots)… - you need to experience the magic yourself to truly understand the usefulness of the features we have added.

Lastly, we've added a few small - but useful - icons to the main page on our forums and any forum listing section too that give you quick access to forum specific New Post searches, RSS feeds, easy forum subscriptions and new thread creation.
mfm_usefulicons.png

mfm_usefulicons_newposts.png
Search for New Posts within this forum
mfm_usefulicons_rss.png
Link to this forum's RSS feed
mfm_usefulicons_subscribe.png
Subscribe to this forum
mfm_usefulicons_newthread.png
Create a new thread in this forum

We really hope you like these new features and, as always, welcome any feedback you may have :)

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Hmm...very nice...I love the searching and the prefix selection but I have to say I'm not too fond of the icons. I think that they make the front page look cluttered.

Clint

Clintoris
Yay, I like that :D

But the icons on the forum list... :\ I think you should do it like twitter and only show the icons on mouseover of the forum list part. Also, if it's possible, could we choose which ones to show? I really would never use the RSS or subscribe icons, so they're just always clutter, which isn't good :(

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Really cool feature, nice work Chat :D
Yeah it makes working with prefixes a lot more user friendly; it's surprising that vBulletin hadn't thought of it themselves.

Thanks Chathurga! :tup:

EvilSeph

Administrator
Hmm...very nice...I love the searching and the prefix selection but I have to say I'm not too fond of the icons. I think that they make the front page look cluttered.

Yay, I like that :D

But the icons on the forum list... :\ I think you should do it like twitter and only show the icons on mouseover of the forum list part. Also, if it's possible, could we choose which ones to show? I really would never use the RSS or subscribe icons, so they're just always clutter, which isn't good :(

Thanks for the feedback! We're going to give it a few days before we make any changes to our features to see if they grow on people and to give them a fair chance :)

EvilSeph

Administrator
Here at M for Mature, we generally like to give everyone the freedom of choice. :)

That being said, as per the feedback we received shortly after unveiling this update, the useful icons are now shown when you move your mouse over each forum's cell (to reduce "clutter", as some of our members put it).

We've also decided to give you guys a choice on what icons you would like to HIDE (remember, I said hide) on the forum list under the Options -> Other (or Miscellaneous) section in your UserCP.
mfm_usefulicons_toggle.png

To reiterate, if you tick one of the boxes, you are opting to HIDE that icon. I repeat, H I D E.

We hope you like our decision :)! As always, please don't hesitate to provide us with any feedback you may have.