• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Slasher

Suck It
mgs4 would need graphical and audio downscaling to run on the 360

I still don't understand why downscaling the graphics would be necessary.

The graphics really weren't all that incredible. They were by no means a milestone. If they designed it with multiplatform in mind instead of just knowing the PS3 would be using it, the graphics would probably be exactly the same. As Abe pointed out, take RE5 for example.

Fives

The graphics really weren't all that incredible. They were by no means a milestone. If they designed it with multiplatform in mind instead of just knowing the PS3 would be using it, the graphics would probably be exactly the same. As Abe pointed out, take RE5 for example.

RE5 was designed to be multiplatform.

MGS4 was DESIGNED for the ps3, the graphics including the textures are all very high quality, even the sound.

Slasher

Suck It
RE5 was designed to be multiplatform.

MGS4 was DESIGNED for the ps3, the graphics including the textures are all very high quality, even the sound.

No kidding.

I'm just saying a title like MGS4 could easily be made available on the 360. Vee seems to think it's out of the question. He thinks that just because this new MGS is coming to both the 360 and PS3, then its overall quality will somehow be lessened.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Who's watching Sony's conference now? Metal gear: peace walker coming to the PSP, no side stories its part of the series.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I finally saw the Rising trailer tonight on Gamepro's newest article about it. They mentioned the subtitle "Lightning Bolt Action" which I realized was quite similar, yet different, to previous MGS subtitles, specifically "Tactical Espionage Action."

This means then that the Rising game won't necessarily be sneaking anymore. MGS4 brought us guns-blazing action, right? What if Kojima was trying to help us transition to a new form of gameplay?

spike021

I'd say that MGS4 still had a lot of stealth element to it :/

GET ON IRC!

On topic: I agree, but Kojima *did* give us the option of run and gunning in this installment.

Something I said to x3sphere on IRC was that this may take place during the rescue of Sunny, hence why he still dons the armor.

spike021

Joystiq said:
Moving on to Metal Gear Solid Rising, Kojima says the game will include "a completely different kind of action than what has appeared in the series so far," though we're not sure if that's a good or bad thing. He also mentioned that he will be involved with the project "more deeply" than a normal producer which, considering the expectations and the new engine involved, makes sense.

[Source = Kojima says MGS: Peace Walker is his MGS5, calls Rising a 'different kind of action' game ]

So this only serves to backup my previous theory on MGS: R going with the 100% guns blazing (or swords slashing) action.

Good bye stealth infiltration, the day Rising is released will be a sad day :(

[Source = Kojima says MGS: Peace Walker is his MGS5, calls Rising a 'different kind of action' game ]

So this only serves to backup my previous theory on MGS: R going with the 100% guns blazing (or swords slashing) action.

Good bye stealth infiltration, the day Rising is released will be a sad day :(

Awwwwww. I liked stealth.

Nonetheless, I still believe it's too early to dismiss Rising, we haven't heard how it will play, so only time will tell. It's meant to be experimental.

Adiuvo

Raiden was never really that stealthy anyways. If you can pull off a lot of acrobatic moves I think it'll be a welcome trade.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah I will like it. The whole stealthy aspect kinda gets dull after a while.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
This is blatently going to be a RPG or a turn based/strategy game. Theres no way they can do an actual Metal Gear Solid game, of the quality of MGS4, on the 360.

Call me a fanboy, but you need some hokus pokus' to do that.

I lol'd

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thank god..stealth gets on my nerves sometimes. I can't wait for Rising if it's going to be like you said.

Stealth is what MGS Series was all about... I smell huge flop...

GET ON IRC!

On topic: I agree, but Kojima *did* give us the option of run and gunning in this installment.

Something I said to x3sphere on IRC was that this may take place during the rescue of Sunny, hence why he still dons the armor.

Although I would like to agree with you, if I got it right, Raiden only got that cyborg-looking armor AFTER the rescue of Sunny...

IMO, MGS4 is the best looking game on the PS3. RE5 isn't especially that good-looking too... I have to tend to agree that MGS: R will most likely look a little worse because the PS3 is more powerful (even if not THAT much) than the 360... I might be irradiating some fanboyism here and I apologize.

------------------------------------------------
Still I stand by and say Rising will be a flop... Plus there's not much story to explore, the plot was closed in MGS4: Patriots were revealed and are gone, Solid retired, Big Boss story is also over... And fortunately, MGS Series relies a LOT on story... So it's a huge risk to make a non-Kojima MGS game

LocutusEstBorg

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3607/10.379

Amazing video of cutscene followed by gameplay. For years I've dreamed of a game where you can arbitrarily mutilate enemies at the exact point of impact (non-scripted). The whole game seems to be about running around going medieval with a sword.

You can slow down time and fix a plane of intersection along which he slices, and the object or enemy gets perfectly cut in two at that point. It looks like you can also slow down time again and slice the pieces again before they hit the ground.

Still I stand by and say Rising will be a flop... Plus there's not much story to explore, the plot was closed in MGS4: Patriots were revealed and are gone, Solid retired, Big Boss story is also over... And fortunately, MGS Series relies a LOT on story... So it's a huge risk to make a non-Kojima MGS game

I don't think so.

While Hideo definatley played a major part in the MGS storyline, it was never 100% his work alone, there were supporting writers and developers working alongside him. Even in MGS4, he was willing to listen to his staff during the development.

For example, in the original plot, Snake & Otacon were to turn themselves in, and then executed. But it was changed after the response he got from his supporting staff.

I'm fairly sure Kojima will be able to "pass the torch" quite well, and have his teammates step up and take the lead.

Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway.