• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC MFM Counter Strike Source RPG Surf/Normal Surf Server

Moose

Meta Moose
What's the policy on custom maps? I used to make maps all the time - surf, glass, break, etc. - so I would be more than happy to create some custom surf maps/edits of favourite surf maps.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
What's the policy on custom maps? I used to make maps all the time - surf, glass, break, etc. - so I would be more than happy to create some custom surf maps/edits of favourite surf maps.

an edit of surf_gauntlet which fixes the huuuuuge shortcut right at the start would be good :p

I say though a custom MFM map would be good. Get some community designs going and see.

Brad

Yoshimi
I'll reinstall the Source SDK at some point and have a go. =)

A server original map would be great. If this goes live we would probably have a rotation of the popular surfs maps. I'm a fan of maps with a jail and a place for the good surfers to pick them off :) surf_legends is a good example.

Moose

Meta Moose
If anyone has any suggestions for a custom map, just post them here (such as a prison, as Brad suggested).

Colm

I'd also like to add we do have surf maps on the TF2 server if anyone who isn't familiar with surf maps would like to try them out.

Hardrive

Contributor
Maybe you can give more detail your more of a expert on this. You and moose ran a surf server for QJ before correct? The server would be off MFM server's so technically no cost but donating towards the site would help.

I've never hosted a surf server before. I hosted a Jedi Academy server with Serideth on QJ, but that quickly fell through due to lack of interest.

Let me clarify that when I say that surf maps are a waste of bandwidth, I just mean that they (to me) don't have any value at all. I've played a few surf maps with you guys on the TF2 server, and I wanted to die, or at least connect to a different server... they're really boring. I'm playing a first person shooter, I want to shoot people, not glide around on some pointless track accomplishing nothing.

To address you bandwidth concerns that I mistakenly raised, beyond the initial downloads so users can have new maps, this won't hurt bandwidth at all.

I'd rather put my vote (if we can only choose between surf or css) in for the CSS RPG. Even though I suck balls at CSS, I think the RPG concept is rather interesting and would rather give it a try.

My vote still stands, as it has for months, for removing the password to our TF2 server and making it public. The problem with the server popluation right now is we have to coordinate MfM members to join, and highly organized games usually are at best a four on four match. When even a few players drop out, the games become a disaster. The person who organized the match isn't to blame (I'm looking at you guys that criticize Eran), what is to blame is the stupid private restriction we have on our server.

tl;dr: My order of preference for game servers: Removing TF2 password > CS:S RPG > Surf

Andy

Champion of the Sun
I've never hosted a surf server before. I hosted a Jedi Academy server with Serideth on QJ, but that quickly fell through due to lack of interest.

Let me clarify that when I say that surf maps are a waste of bandwidth, I just mean that they (to me) don't have any value at all. I've played a few surf maps with you guys on the TF2 server, and I wanted to die, or at least connect to a different server... they're really boring. I'm playing a first person shooter, I want to shoot people, not glide around on some pointless track accomplishing nothing.

To address you bandwidth concerns that I mistakenly raised, beyond the initial downloads so users can have new maps, this won't hurt bandwidth at all.

I'd rather put my vote (if we can only choose between surf or css) in for the CSS RPG. Even though I suck balls at CSS, I think the RPG concept is rather interesting and would rather give it a try.

My vote still stands, as it has for months, for removing the password to our TF2 server and making it public. The problem with the server popluation right now is we have to coordinate MfM members to join, and highly organized games usually are at best a four on four match. When even a few players drop out, the games become a disaster. The person who organized the match isn't to blame (I'm looking at you guys that criticize Eran), what is to blame is the stupid private restriction we have on our server.

tl;dr: My order of preference for game servers: Removing TF2 password > CS:S RPG > Surf

The whole point of this thread is for a SURF server, if you want to play normal CS:S, there are plenty of other servers around.

I agree it'd be cool if the TF2 server went public (I'm still not sure why it isn't), but create another thread for that, it's a bit off-topic here.

Hardrive

Contributor
The whole point of this thread is for a SURF server, if you want to play normal CS:S, there are plenty of other servers around.

I agree it'd be cool if the TF2 server went public (I'm still not sure why it isn't), but create another thread for that, it's a bit off-topic here.

The title of the thread is "PC MFM Counter Strike Source RPG Surf/Normal Surf Server," so mentioning the RPG wasn't off-topic...

I'll admit that mentioning TF2 is a bit off-topic, but since we're discussing MfM game servers, I thought I'd mention it.

Brad

Yoshimi

I think I can safely assume by your description you haven't taken the time to learn "surfing" within the game to a effective level for it to be enjoyable. Which isn't uncommon and when you first start it can be a pain. Surf maps for CSS are up in popularity with zombie servers so the user base is large.

I enjoy surf maps and picked a surf server idea as its what I play a majority of the time. A normal server isn't a bad idea but I wont be on it that much..

Colm

what is to blame is the stupid private restriction we have on our server.

That's nothing to blame. We've never intended for the server to be private. We've had our server crash often, and we've moved it to ES's server temporarily. We can't go live either with bugs or on ES' server. I'm in no state to organise an event to test out the server (my PC is broken and I dunno if the laptop can run TF), if someone else could get onto ES to have the server ready for test events then please do so.

Actually, someone should organise a surf event. Then we can have a better idea of what the CSS server would be like.

ilyace

That's nothing to blame. We've never intended for the server to be private. We've had our server crash often, and we've moved it to ES's server temporarily. We can't go live either with bugs or on ES' server. I'm in no state to organise an event to test out the server (my PC is broken and I dunno if the laptop can run TF), if someone else could get onto ES to have the server ready for test events then please do so.

Actually, someone should organise a surf event. Then we can have a better idea of what the CSS server would be like.

It's not your server.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls

HA
HAHAHAHAHA
Eran, please actually get the facts straight before posting your bs. You've been gone for quite a while and you act like you're the sole tf2 guy around here.

First off, THERE IS ONLY ONE, YES ONE, Server
Secondly, there have been no crashes on the server as of late

Colm

First off, THERE IS ONLY ONE, YES ONE, Server
Secondly, there have been no crashes on the server as of late

OK, I've misunderstood what ES has said about moving the server to the user. I've made one key mistake, and I recognise this. I've just talked to ES about this, you were in #mfm.tf2 at the time so check out the logs.

Secondly, I never said there were crashes on the server as of late, I've said that the crashes on the server were what prevented us from going public, and now the fact that it's on ES' user is what prevented us from going public.

You've been gone for quite a while and you act like you're the sole tf2 guy around here.
I was gone for three weeks, over three months ago. what's your point?
And I've considered leaving the site in the past, the TF2 server is practically the only reason I'm still here on MFM. Neither am I acting as the sole TF2 guy around here.

El Diablo

I hate RPG/WC3/DM surf but if there was a normal surf server I would be in it all the time. I love surf but it gets old when high levels spawn camp and kill everyone in DM or high levels spawn jump with their long jump, or just sit in jail bunny hoping around with it so you can't kill them. I get so annoyed by those mods sometimes = \.

Moose

Meta Moose
This thread is not for bickering about who knows what in terms of the TF2 server. Please keep this in mind.

El Diablo

Just because YOU may not like surf maps, doesn't mean they are a waste of bandwith in any way. There is a huge community of surfers out there who would play it, and could help the website grow.

I personally hate "normal" maps like dust2 and aztec and all those de maps, that doesn't mean it would be a waste of bandwith if you guys put up a server with those maps rather than different maps.