• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

#MforMature IRC channel - Direction.

Serideth

As many of you have noticed #MforMature has recently changed due to a few variables such as influx of users and other factors.

This thread has been made to discuss the IRC channel and to find out what direction people want to see it going in.

Above this post you will see a poll, this poll contains the separate elements that make up our current chaotic channel, what we need to do is pin point what exactly we want this channel to be.

The poll is multiple choice so you can vote on multiple options, but please do not abuse it.

Also, please add your own thoughts on it, and if you can't find what you're looking for in the poll, post it here.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I like option 4. I think it's a friendly place, but needs to be moderated strictly in order to maintain it.

Adiuvo

Four. Constructive conversation is what the forum is for. IRC is meant to be laid back, though not a place for spam.

Fives

4 - laid back goodness and joking around is necessary at times, and there's always room for the "constructive conversation" when it arises.

Seth

MD Party Room
I like me some spam.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'd like to remind everyone that this is a serious discussion/thread that will affect our IRC channel you all know and love, so please be honest.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Voted for the wrong thing but I'm amazing so I was able to change the votes ;)

@ Anyone voting for spam - IRC is already considered "chaotic", would you really want spam? I think we can make our IRC channel into something nice for member discussions

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I chose 1 and 4 because of:

Number 1:
  • Useful for when you need help with a specific task, such as homework, programming, electronics, etc - although a few of these have their own channels now ;)

Number 4:

• Getting to know each other is great, because otherwise we only game or talk game within the forums, which is quite impersonal. I do think that we should scratch "everything and anything" because there are some topics that I feel shouldn't be touched upon, but that's for everyone else to decide

Leecher

I voted for:

A place for constructive conversation.
A place where members chat about anything and everything and get to know each other.

Hopefully, we can get this situated, and that users can stay away from spamming, trolling, flaming, etc.

Chathurga

1,3 and 4.
A little bit of one when needed but mostly 4. If 3 was banned I'd consider creating a new chan because mfm would have lost a lot of it's appeal.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I vote for 4.

If I want 1. That's what the forums are for. (even though I wish 4 would occur in the forums.)
If I want 2 & 3, I have QJ for that.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Our IRC channel is honestly one of the rare few I've enjoyed being a part of in a long time. Unfortunately, we're not perfect and have our ups and downs. I'd like to take some time to thank all our regulars for coming back every time something goes wrong and giving us the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to rectify any issues that have arisen. As extreme as this may sound, I think this is our worst dip yet towards the direction I know we don't want to go: another #wtf. So fasten your seatbelts, because we're in for a bumpy ride...

While I haven't been on as much as I usually am and as much as I want to, this is partially because I've been busy (as usual) but also because I've been taking some time to disassociate myself from the channel, from my position in the channel and from my friends to fairly assess the situation at hand. Let's face it, #mformature is in a terrible state (especially when we compare it to its prime period where everything just seemed to fall into place and the channel was like an oasis in the desert called IRC) and something needs to be done.

I've come into the channel as someone else a few times

Moose

Meta Moose
I think we are thinking much to hard about this. The channel doesn't need to offer anything special, it is a place for talking with the members... what else it needs to be is beyond me.

Colm

A place for constructive conversation. - forums.mformature.net
A place for spam - #wtf
A place where trolling and pranks are pulled on other users. - #leak
A place where members chat about anything and everything and get to know each other. - #mformature

Things seem to fall into place like that right now.

I think the IRC should be for #1 and #4.

I know number 1 is meant for the forums, but utlizing #1 is faster is the IRC.

Also, I chose number 4, because it is the reason why I go to IRC Chat.

And I think number 3 should be decreased a little because it causes to some a terrible IRC experience and might people leave. I myself a couple of times have done a #3 (trolling) at the IRC ,and it wielded bad results. I say the prank thing in #3 should be around b/c it brings a load of fun / humor to the IRC.

But... #2 should be eliminated as much as possible. Nobody appreciates spam in the forums, and I believe the same feelings are felt towards that in IRC.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I think we are thinking much to hard about this. The channel doesn't need to offer anything special, it is a place for talking with the members... what else it needs to be is beyond me.

No offense to anyone else who thinks this way, but if you don't care about the channel...I don't really see a point in replying to this thread. I can honestly only see someone who isn't a regular (visitor AND chatter) on our channel thinking this way and I can only see non-regulars believing there is no problem.

I don't know how I can make it any more clearer: some people prefer forums to IRC, some people prefer IRC to forums. To say one aspect that we're looking for is offered elsewhere is foolish as it may just not appeal to the rest of us.

Personally, I prefer to have my constructive conversation to take place over IRC - but that's just me. I'd rather discuss things in a respectable and intelligent manner with someone in real time than wait for them to reply to a thread... It's simply just not conversation for me.

In absolute complete honesty, I don't honestly see how anyone can say we don't have a problem or we shouldn't be trying to change things if you're a regular...the channel is a mess right now.

Moose

Meta Moose
No offense to anyone else who thinks this way, but if you don't care about the channel...I don't really see a point in replying to this thread. I can honestly only see someone who isn't a regular (visitor AND chatter) on our channel thinking this way and I can only see non-regulars believing there is no problem.
Way to jump at a conclusion. I care about the channel, I just don't think there needs to be any 'direction' in which it needs to follow.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Way to jump at a conclusion. I care about the channel, I just don't think there needs to be any 'direction' in which it needs to follow.

In all fairness Moose you haven't been on in the past few days when it has turned into something undesirable - we don't want that