• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Microsoft Kinect General Discussion

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well the Kinect just launched in the US a few moments ago. You can find reviews/impressions on many of the major gaming websites (sorry, we weren't lucky enough to get one) and so far they seem to be pretty positive.

While I'm not going to pick one up right away (it doesn't go well with my current gaming setup) I will most likely pick one up around Christmas.

Seth

MD Party Room
Mine shipped today, I just hope it more bedroom friendly than my Move. Got dance central with it as well, now all I need is some people to play with it

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Mine shipped today, I just hope it more bedroom friendly than my Move. Got dance central with it as well, now all I need is some people to play with it

It'll require as much, if not more space, than the move...that should just be common sense :/

TeamOverload

Yeah, Kotaku has posted a lot of videos and the reviewer had a pretty decent amount of space (or so it appeared to me, much larger than the room I use Move in) and he claimed he still had some issues with the controls. If you do plan on playing with friends, it's only going to require much, much more space. Down the line, if I ever do pick up a 360 again, I'll probably pick Kinect up at some point. It looks promising, and hopefully we'll start to see it's potential become more truly met down the road.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Once major retail games start using kinect then I might pick it up.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I picked mine up today, and its HUGE. Maybe Microsoft designed it that way so people would notice it more often, other than that I don't see why it has to be that big, especially since it doesn't even have a processor in there anymore.

The lag/unresponsiveness is noticeable on some games (especially the one where you have to duck/jump/side step away from the objects) but they are still fun party games.

I didn't buy dance central, but I played the demo (on Kinect Adventures Disc) and it is by far the best Kinect game so far. I haven't enjoyed Lady Gaga this much since Eric Cartman sang Poker Face. In RL I don't dance (aka can't dance) but I still enjoy this game. I am definitely going to pick up the full version soon.

I was also hoping to use the voice commands, but (although accurate) pretty non-existent. Xbox...Kinect...Xbox...Play Disc... is about the only useful command as of now, and there are no media commands (not even play/pause) or even the shutdown command. I haven't connected online yet so I'm hoping that's the issue.

Whether or not it will become as dusty as my WiiFit board, only time can tell.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I thought you have to say "xbox pause" to pause and stuff.

Seth

MD Party Room
So I got my kinect today and im both very impressed with some part of it while others are just depressing. For one given the space I have it works quite well, the Xbox voice commands work great and works pretty well in the dark. Now the things you can do with the voice commands are just depressing where are all the things you can do that they showed at the press event? Where the netflix and facebook support? Why can Xbox pause work on movies that are streamed from DLNA? Also with things like sending voice messages doing the start and stop just take to long. Also they got a lot of minor things wrong. Have yet to place my copy of dance centeral but I trust it be good

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I thought you have to say "xbox pause" to pause and stuff.

I've now updated to the latest firmware and sadly nope. Almost nothing they showed in the promo videos (except stuff on the Kinect dashboard) works with voice commands. No media controls at all at the moment. I was actually more excited for voice commands than the motion capture, so I'm pretty disappointed about that.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Amazon just got then back in stock again (woot for nowinstock.net) and I just purchased one - spent $113 on it and should even have it tomorrow (assuming my mailroom is actually open on Saturdays...not sure). I'll probably write up a full-length impressions article and comparison with the move

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Amazon just got then back in stock again (woot for nowinstock.net) and I just purchased one - spent $113 on it and should even have it tomorrow (assuming my mailroom is actually open on Saturdays...not sure). I'll probably write up a full-length impressions article and comparison with the move

can't wait to read that review=-)

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

How'd you get it so damn cheap?!

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Had $40 video game credit from previous pre-orders on Amazon (COD/Halo Reach). I think I will always pre-order a game now from Amazon...love them

Oh wow, very nicely done :p

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Impressions are done for the most part...and lengthy.

Short summary before I publish it (tonight or early tomorrow): It's great technology. Will take some time for developers to figure out how to use it properly. Lag is noticeable in most games. Kinect Adventures sucks. Hard to pause a game when being distracted or having people move in front of screen. Potential is there and when tapped it will be great. As a standalone purchase it's lackluster - buy Dance Central or Kinect Sports if you can.

Tarret

Other than Children of Eden, anyone hear of any other more "hardcore" types of games coming out for Kinect?