• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Microsoft to patch 26 holes in Windows, Office

Microsoft will patch 26 holes next week, including critical ones in Windows, one affecting the kernel of 32-bit versions, and several holes in Office, the company said Thursday in a preview of its Patch Tuesday.

Five of the 13 bulletins affect vulnerabilities that could lead to remote code execution and they are rated critical. The bulletins affect Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7, as well as Server 2003 and 2008, Office XP, Office 2003 and Office 2004 for Mac, according to the advisory.

"The Office-related bulletins are both rated Important and would require user action to be exploited (usually in the form of convincing a user to open a specially crafted file)," Jerry Bryant, a senior security communications manager at Microsoft, wrote in a blog post. "The vulnerabilities only affect older versions of Office so customers on Office 2007 or Office 2008 for Mac will have no actions this month."

Source: Microsoft to patch 26 holes in Windows, Office | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I don't quite understand. Are these holes being patches to lock out pirated copies or viruses made from word documents?

EDIT: Never mind, it's 2000. Doesn't affect me.

Adiuvo

2000? They still support that?

A bunch of businesses still use 2000, so I suppose that's why, but if MS wants them to upgrade they have to cut off support at some time.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
2000? They still support that?

A bunch of businesses still use 2000, so I suppose that's why, but if MS wants them to upgrade they have to cut off support at some time.

Some businesses still use the weirdest OS's.

OS/2, OpenVMS, and like Windows 95 or so being the most common it seems. I think it's because they'd rather have something that they know works and gets the job done than something that could potentially be more difficult and such.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
EWW.

Im ashamed my school is still using xp, let alone 98.

It costs biiiiigggg bucks, which is what schools are lacking (And budget cuts go STRAIGHT to teachers salaries, which they can't afford to be cut anymore, and most of them can't even provide for their families with it anymore..). Be lucky they haven't resorted to using thin clients with Linux like schools are increasingly doing. I'd like it probably, but for everyone else it'd be confusing as hell.

Plus, running anything higher than XP requires better hardware, which also costs big bucks..

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
It costs biiiiigggg bucks, which is what schools are lacking (And budget cuts go STRAIGHT to teachers salaries, which they can't afford to be cut anymore, and most of them can't even provide for their families with it anymore..). Be lucky they haven't resorted to using thin clients with Linux like schools are increasingly doing. I'd like it probably, but for everyone else it'd be confusing as hell.

Plus, running anything higher than XP requires better hardware, which also costs big bucks..

1. I realize that, but it doesnt change that I hate that we are using xp.
2. Be LUCKY they havent switched to linux? I'd prefer it. Hell, I'd volunteer to help set it up.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
1. I realize that, but it doesnt change that I hate that we are using xp.
2. Be LUCKY they havent switched to linux? I'd prefer it. Hell, I'd volunteer to help set it up.

While you or I would love that (I would set it up as well), most of the kids would hate it and bitch about it all day, since that's all they do about anything these days. It'd take a couple HS generations (A while..) for them to stfu.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
While you or I would love that (I would set it up as well), most of the kids would hate it and bitch about it all day, since that's all they do about anything these days. It'd take a couple HS generations (A while..) for them to stfu.

They'd learn. that is precisely why it needs to be done. kids need to learn to use a COMPUTER, not how to use the current version of windows.

EWW.

Im ashamed my school is still using xp, let alone 98.

I sure they have new computer labs by now running windows vista/7. windows 98 computers probably have Penny 2, 8MB graphics, 64MB SDRAM. I got sick and tired of one computer and slap windows xp on it. better then nothing. also install deep freeze so nobody fucks it up and make it look school official

green default wallpapers....my eyes still burns from it until this day.