• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Mod your PS2 without having to buy anything (potentially)

nvm I know what fmcb is now. :)

Now if I can get this stupid game to work.

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Update: I have failed! I wonder where I can get FMCB memory cards at anyways? If not then I might as well get 007 game off a pawn shop for 5 dollars

Muratcan

@ Chrono

I have tried this on my slim PS3 using MGS3 and it doesn't work. I can actually play the backup disc of MGS3 fine, but when I try and boot into the camoflauge download section it has a black screen and a few seconds later it shows the splash screen saying it isn't a Playstation format disc. I copied the compressed boot elf from 4.12 as it says in the guide and renamed it, changing the size values and everything perfectly I am certain.

You have a fat PS2 right? Maybe the MGS3 exploit only works on that? Or maybe only on the NTSC version of it? I have a PAL version, but it is from the release date March 2005, so it shouldn't be patched or anything.

Thanks for posting the guide.

Ok just now I have managed to get the hack working with Fifa 2004 (PAL) on my friends original FAT PS2 SCPH-3003 (PAL). Used 4.30 Ulaunch uncompressed version. Made my own swap card and opened up the disc tray in order to swap discs at the main menu. Went into the online bit and then selected network configuration and bam black screen and I was worried, but then yes finally thank fuck the launchELF screen.

Now for the geek monologue. Man I was going crazy last night. I borrowed my friend's FAT PS2 and managed to find a blank DVD+R too, hoping the hack would work. I tried to run my genuine MGS3 in the fat PS3 and it would give a damn disc error, it wouldn't boot MGS3 at all. Must be a weak laser. So then I decided to try fifa 2004 which would boot. I copied my version and burnt it, but the burning failed. Was it because I did it at 4x or do I blame crappy Panasonic? So no spare blank DVDs! I decided to leave it until the next morning, hoping the Sony blank DVDs I ordered last week after I read about this hack, would arrive.

So I woke up today and opened the disc tray cover and made my own swap tool out of an advertising credit card. The plastic isn't as strong as a real credit card, but it still works. So I tried MGS3 again but it wouldn't boot. Arghhh, I even cleaned the disc with toothpaste and still nothing. Popped it into my slim and it was fine tho <_> Tried the failed burning disc of Fifa 2004 but that didn't work obviously.

Thankfully the sony disc pack arrived later in the day and I decided to try Fifa 2004 again. I burnt it this time at 1x to make sure nothing would go wrong. I tried it in my slim and I ran into the same problem as MGS3. So then the fat! First time I tried the swap I failed, maybe I did the sliding incorrectly? Second time though was perfect as I mentioned above.

My conclusion is that the slim has extra security checks not allowing the variety of games to work with this method, as they do with the fat. I think maybe agent under fire is the only game that works on the slim for this exploit. However with fat it seems the compatability list is far greater.

This is why the compatability lists and reports of which games are working are a bit skewed without knowing which PS2 the owner tried it on. From the few people who made it clear whether they had a slim or a fat, I noticed only agent under fire was working for slim people. However I read of fat users thst successfully did the hack with MGS3, smackdown 2006, madden 2004 and others.

Now I will install MCBoot and then chuck the memory card in my slim and I will be a happy bunny ^_^

Update: I just order my 007 game for like 5 dollars on eBay!. The BIG reason that I cant run this elf on my old ps2 fat is because I have no network adapter and its require for all my games (no demos disc) but I like to add some things to the list.

Network Setup Disc (network card require for regular PS2 Fat), Anyways Just replace MADDEDN04.elf

Anniversary Edition: Resident Evil CODE:Veronica - UNCONFIRMED but may work for all PS2 FAT without network adapter. Just replace Devil May Cry Demo elf file somewhere on the disk.

This guide is lacking on information should be edited like this...

If you got a PS2 Slim, 007 is probably the only way to bypass the bios check disc.

If you got a PS2 Phat/Fat/Bulky system...Network Adaptor for any games that requires to go Multiplayer menu or do 007 game trick.

superste2201

Ok i'm gunna try this when I get my 8mb memory card delivered.

I have 007 agent under fire and a fat ps2 so I should be all good.

Another guide I saw said you have to use the memento disc patcher to patch the copied ISO, as this was a video guide and I saw the method he used work perfectly I will be copying him. I will let you guys know what happens.

I still waiting for my game to come. I'll report back let you all know.

Update: I got 007 game worked great!
Update 2: 1TB My Book didn't work out...probably because I format it to NTFS? oh well I too lazy to transfer and format it. So I stick with 8GB USB for now. Anyways...Why the hell SNES is not full speed? reminds me of the one I got on my PSP...lame

Muratcan

Great to hear it worked for you yolarrydabomb. Bit late to say it now but you don't need a network adaptor for the Fifa 2004 hack I did. Maybe some games do require it though.

I was surprised to find MGS3 Subsistence worked perfectly through the USB on my slim PS2. I read that USB gaming would render cutscenes slow, but MGS3 is absolutely perfect. Maybe because the cutscenes are real time and a part of the game engine? I also managed to play games via my laptop through the router. Only downside is that PS1 games can't be played through USB, but apparantly a PS1 emulator is being developed that has such support.

The media player is great too. Sometimes my PS3 fails to play some videos, so in such a case I will use the PS2 instead ^_^

I haven't tried any emulators on the PS2, but I would assume everything pre-N64 would work great. Is SNES on the PSP slow? I thought it was full speed?

or maybe I behind the PSP-sence? I know MegaMan X3 plays very slow on the PSP. hmm games on your laptop? wow I gotta look into that.

My PS2 fat finally choke with bad laser and wont eject a damn CD-R disc I made. So I too lazy to tear into it...I did play MGS2 using my 8GB usb and I throw my emulators and etc back on it while the MGS2 is still there. everything works fantastic expect snes which I rather just play it on the pc. My WD 1TB hard drive is NTFS format and I'm don't want to format it down to FAT32 (damn its been years since I speak that word) but I think USB Adance will support it up to 2TB.

superste2201

Worked perfectly.

007 agent under fire with disc swap trick on a fat ps2.

Took me about 10mins to complete the first level tho.... lame.

Took me about 10mins to complete the first level tho.... lame.

I had one hell of a time using the analog stick. My aim sucked! so I just run over and shoot whatever that gets in my way.

Never use the right analog stick while you move.

I got MGS2 playing over LAN with PS2Loader but I'm having issues where it plays cut scene it beeps and freezes. If I skip them, I can pretty much play the whole game.

stvlite

at the moment, this is the most useful forum i've come across regarding the slide tool Free McBoot method.

I've had a lot of trouble getting it to work though. Last night I made an ISO of MGS3, I modified the NETGUI.ELF file and switched it with the uncompressed boot file from uLAUNCHelf, I made the slide tool and I tried the disk swapping. I swapped the disk, went to Special > Camouflage Download and the "Please insert PS2 compatible disc" screen appears.
I tried Jak X, but i need a network adapter. :/

Does it matter which version of uLAUNCHelf you use because I used v4.21 with Snake Eater?
Also, does the region of the disc matter?
Im'a going nuuuuts trying to figure this out! :argh: :laugh:

Skorpian

Hmmm...
@OC: You mean Mcboot? IF so, it does work with all phats but not all slims (I guess those with 90000+ bios)

daniel98

man. i try to change .elf TOC size, but all i get in Apache is :
"Debug assertion failed
file - fseek.c
line - 101
expression - stream != NULL"