• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Modded Xbox + Xbox Live Marketplace: Question

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I have just fixed my RRoD'd Xbox 360 using the towel trick (still can't believe it myself o_O) but it's modded, even though I'm thinking of unmodding it this weekend.

My question is: Can I sporadically access the Xbox Live Marketplace without getting my arse banned?

Thanks in advance,

K.

Deathrow

Modded meaning Jtag?

phoenixv5

Out of curiosity, is it possible to soft mod an Xbox slim, like a PSP or use a usb to do the job like a PS3.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I have just fixed my RRoD'd Xbox 360 using the towel trick (still can't believe it myself o_O) but it's modded, even though I'm thinking of unmodding it this weekend.

My question is: Can I sporadically access the Xbox Live Marketplace without getting my arse banned?

Thanks in advance,

K.
First thing is make sure you xbox is flashed with LT firmware. Grab the latest LT firmware for your xbox and that is as safe as you can get.

Although as of right now, microsoft released a dashboard update about 2 weeks ago and a LT firmware hasn't been released for it yet, so once you upgrade to this newest dash, it removes the mod as it flashes all xboxs, modded or not, to a new stock firmware. So if you go on live right now, you won't have the mod on your xbox no more until you reflash it but you have to wait til the new LT firmware comes out.
Out of curiosity, is it possible to soft mod an Xbox slim, like a PSP or use a usb to do the job like a PS3.

Nope. All xbox flashing has to do with the dvd drive itself and you connect it via sata to your computer.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
First thing is make sure you xbox is flashed with LT firmware. Grab the latest LT firmware for your xbox and that is as safe as you can get.

Although as of right now, microsoft released a dashboard update about 2 weeks ago and a LT firmware hasn't been released for it yet, so once you upgrade to this newest dash, it removes the mod as it flashes all xboxs, modded or not, to a new stock firmware. So if you go on live right now, you won't have the mod on your xbox no more until you reflash it but you have to wait til the new LT firmware comes out.

This specific Xbox is old as all hell... It's still sporting a Samsung HS-943 DVD Drive.

But do you mean to tell me that flashing a new dashboard would unmod the drive? I didn't get that one o_O

Modded meaning Jtag?

Nope. No JTag, just a very old dvd modded one xD

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Well the recent dashboard update flashes drives to stock... So assuming you still have the dvd key, you should go on live, your drive will be put to stock when you update, then flash it to LT+ v1.9 when it's out.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well the recent dashboard update flashes drives to stock... So assuming you still have the dvd key, you should go on live, your drive will be put to stock when you update, then flash it to LT+ v1.9 when it's out.

I tried going into Xbox Live but I had to update first, but updating crashes my Xbox into a E66 error which I've found out means the update sees my Xbox is modded and craps out. =\ No live for me this way it seems.

Robby

Los Doyers!
That's weird that you got an error. I didn't get an error on my xbox and it was modded when I updated it.

If you have the dvd key, try flashing back the original stock firmware then try to update.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's weird that you got an error. I didn't get an error on my xbox and it was modded when I updated it.

If you have the dvd key, try flashing back the original stock firmware then try to update.

Yeah that's the current plan. Thanks for the help for now, I'll give you guys feedback this weekend.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Just so you know LT 1.9 was released today and you flash that after updating to the new dash.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Can I upgrade the dashboard using a USB Stick?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I'm currently in the process of flashing back to stock, at which point I will connect to live and update then flash to LT+ 1.9 :)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Okay. Thanks to all you guys' help I've successfully done everything including updating my dashboard with no problems.

However my DVD-Drive is making all kind of weird noises when reading the backup I made of a game I bought this week F.E.A.R (kind of a bargain 5

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Okay. Thanks to all you guys' help I've successfully done everything including updating my dashboard with no problems.

However my DVD-Drive is making all kind of weird noises when reading the backup I made of a game I bought this week F.E.A.R (kind of a bargain 5

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Does it only make that sound while reading backups? And what speed did you burn it at?

Sometimes (very rarely though) it makes the same noise. But with the backup it's noise city all around, like the damn dvd is getting kicked inside the drive. I burned it at 4x

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Sometimes (very rarely though) it makes the same noise. But with the backup it's noise city all around, like the damn dvd is getting kicked inside the drive. I burned it at 4x

4x is what I burn at. Might be the disc quality, or just that the drive is on it's way out. What discs are you using? I always use Verbatim's, they pretty damn reliable (though I did get a 10 spindle once where like 7 of them were bad... I got them replaced by the store I bought them from and actually ended up with more than 10 :))

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
4x is what I burn at. Might be the disc quality, or just that the drive is on it's way out. What discs are you using? I always use Verbatim's, they pretty damn reliable (though I did get a 10 spindle once where like 7 of them were bad... I got them replaced by the store I bought them from and actually ended up with more than 10 :))

Curiously enough, I'm using Verbatim aswell and I'm using IMGBurn for the recording. I might try burning at 2.4x too... Any suggestions?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Curiously enough, I'm using Verbatim aswell and I'm using IMGBurn for the recording. I might try burning at 2.4x too... Any suggestions?

Ah yeah, I use IMGBurn. Could try 2.4x, couldn't hurt. My drive makes some odd noises too, not sure if there's a difference in noise between normal discs and backups though.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ah yeah, I use IMGBurn. Could try 2.4x, couldn't hurt. My drive makes some odd noises too, not sure if there's a difference in noise between normal discs and backups though.

Guess what, IMGBurn says that my recorder doesn't support 2x/2.4x and burns the disk at 4x automatically. I am screwed xD