• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP More PSP-2/4000 Confirmation

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
PSP2Concept.jpg

PSP news, Playstation Portable 2, Pocket Gamer

Here we have more rumors of the PSP-2 which details it to be almost exactly like that concept image we saw a while back with the sliding screen and dual analog nubs. Apparantly someone developing the hardware has revealed these details (dual analog nubs, touch screen and sliding screen).

I actually believe some of this (the part with the touch screen because that is essential for the next generation of games, people are just starting to accept touch games). So basically, I'm already expecting it to have a touchscreen but the other features seem almost too good to be true.

Will we finally see the dream gaming handheld? The iPhone lacks controls and is severely limited by that fact.

Pocketgamer said:
Like Apple's newcomer, the PSP 2 will be a compact device with a large touchscreen. However, where Sony's machine has the edge is when the touchscreen is slid open as it reveals familiar buttons, D-pads and – praise the Lord of Handhelds – dual analogue controls.

FrozenIpaq Note: I would normally make an article for this, however I'm in class so am taking notes at the moment :/ Although I might've been able to write an article now that I think of it

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would most likely buy this if they improve the XMB (aka do away with it for something new) and lower the prices and make them download only (a long stretch but very possible)

Seth

MD Party Room
I dont think they go download only. I enjoy having real copy of games. However I would like a rip feature kinda like how the 360 does it, but somehow work it so I cant have to carry all the games with me.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I figured it was going to be a touch-screen at first, it would not make sense if it wasn't IMO. If the hardware is more accelerated, I would definitely buy it.

LocutusEstBorg

The PSP needs either MUCH more powerful hardware so sight of the games don't burn your eyes, or it needs better developers like Ready at Dawn who make the most out of it.

If it turns out like that concept image, it will be the most awesome thing ever. But I don't think I can ever survive without Hold+ and the music player :(
I don't want to carry a separate DAP in my pocket.

Joey

The PSP needs either MUCH more powerful hardware so sight of the games don't burn your eyes, or it needs better developers like Ready at Dawn who make the most out of it.

If it turns out like that concept image, it will be the most awesome thing ever. But I don't think I can ever survive without Hold+ and the music player :(
I don't want to carry a separate DAP in my pocket.

That, or people needs to get better artists, and create games with better art design.

I'm all over this though.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I expect that spec-wise, not much will change in the new PSP. Sony needs to keep the price where it is now in order to compete with DS. Visually, PSP is far ahead from the DS so its not as if Nintendo is putting pressure on them in the graphics department.

PSP-2 should dump MemoryStick and use Micro-SD instead.

Judging by s0nY's nature, that probably won't even happen. ;)

Slasher

Suck It
I'll definitely be getting this if it has a second analog stick and has a sliding screen like the one in the fan image. It looks damn sexy.

I don't mind if they kept the UMD around, but I doubt they'll keep it after seeing what a failure it has been. Ditching it would ultimately improve battery life, make for cheaper manufacturing costs, and would make room for a nice big HDD :D

I also wouldn't mind if they left out the touch screen feature of it. While I'm sure adding it would improve sales since people buy into that sort of thing, I personally don't buy into the whole gimmicky gaming aspect of it. Sure, the odd game might come out that'll be neat, but for the most part it gets old pretty fast. Thank god there would be buttons there as well for the more serious games if they do decide to incorporate a touch screen. Games can feel free to incorporate some touching, but buttons are definitely the way to go for the type of games that I enjoy playing.

Ofcourse, in this day and age I guess a touch screen is a must if they want people to hop on the PSP bandwagon and get their sales up. If they don't incorporate it, people will be cussing them on their ass, but I personally wouldn't really care. For instance, I got a new phone a few months back, but I decided not to get a touch screen phone. It just doesn't genuinely interest me.

After playing some games on my brothers ipod touch, I just would never see myself playing games on it seriously. It has a WOW effect intitially, but then it quickly dies off. Having buttons in addition to the touch screen would definitely give it an edge over the iphone for sure.

Adiuvo

jx223 said:
PSP-2 should dump MemoryStick and use Micro-SD instead.

Judging by s0nY's nature, that probably won't even happen.
I hope for that as well. Even regular SD cards would work fine.

Memory sticks are ridiculous in price compared to other formats. Dropping the price of them or switching to a different format would only increase sales of digital content, since you have room to store them.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I would buy this depending on the price.
Also, I want an internal HDD of at least 32GB and a better internet browser.

Adiuvo

Sony putting in something open source just doesn't seem likely to me. Would be nice though.

Seth

MD Party Room
Just read that it coming pre-Christmas that good news. I knew there not going to stay on the sidelines while dsi get all the press.

tave

if the system was anything like the mock image...i dont know how comfortable the two analog sticks would be