• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Motorola Xoom

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm still in the market for a tablet, and since Samsung took so long to get a wifi-only Galaxy Tab to retailers, I've set my sights on the Xoom.

I was just curious about what others here thought about the Xoom and it's specs.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Specs are great on it but price is most likely going to be a little steep. So far people haven't been really able to get much hands-on time with the device but from all initial impressions it looks like it will be the best Android tablet on the market for the next few months. The Tegra 2 processor is amazing, it's about time it got into devices

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
A guy I work with said it'll probably retail for around $800 and you'll be forced to buy one month of data from Verizon if you want it to be wifi-only.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
A guy I work with said it'll probably retail for around $800 and you'll be forced to buy one month of data from Verizon if you want it to be wifi-only.

Yeah Best Buy has it for a $800 price tag right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they force you into paying a month of data for the device.

OUTL4W

I definately don't need another data plan. If they offer a wifi only model...i might consider pickin' one up.

Unfortunately, it's exactly this kind of can't-fail thinking that will probably have Motorola and its partners shooting themselves in the foot. Here are all the ways greed may hold the Xoom back from greatness. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Contracts
Quick poll: Raise your hand if you think buying a tablet with a two-year carrier contract makes sense. Seriously? Who are you people?
Unless you work for a cellular company or your ludicrous wealth has somehow escaped the economic slump, I have a hard time understanding why people would buy a contract-strapped tablet and data plan on top of their existing phone plan.
We saw this play out already with the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Sure, Samsung claims the Galaxy Tab was met with strong sales (globally, at least), but many comments I've seen from readers are quick to point out the chilling effect of the two-year commitments that came with it (or the premium price for off-contract models).
AT&T's contract-free, month-to-month arrangement with Apple is, arguably, the most successful tablet carrier arrangement yet. So why is it that so few carriers have conceded to mimic this successful approach?
We have yet to see how Verizon will handle contracts and pricing around the Xoom. That said, Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Tab was the most expensive among all the carriers, and the Xoom's high profile and 4G compatibility should provide them with ample excuses for contracts and premium data pricing. Let's hope not.
No Wi-Fi model
Will Motorola sell a low-priced, Wi-Fi-only version of the Xoom? There's reason to be optimistic, but so far, only a 3G version has been announced.
Via:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20029411-1.html?tag=epicStories