• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Moving from R4 to R4 SDHC

itzbilly

Hi guys

I'm new to the forums, this seems like the best place to be asking my question..

I recently purchased an R4 card. 50% of the way into a game, I decided I want a bigger memory card to put more games in. Did my research, found out my 8GB memory card won't work with a regular R4 so I purchased an R4 SDHC card. I loaded up the SDHC system files onto the card, put on the NDS and SAV files. Loaded up the game on DS and it tells me the save file is corrupted.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong or what I need to do to make this work?

Please reply soon, thank you!

EDIT: I waited long enough and the game will load up with a save file (I can't tell if its my most recent save since it's in the same area). I tried moving my character to a different spot and saved. I shut down DS after, restarted game, got the same "Corrupted Save" message. It then loaded up the same save as the first time.

Anybody know what's wrong?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Not 100% sure what the cause is here, it's very odd. It's possible the file just simply got corrupted itself, it's also possible that the R4 SDHC uses a slightly different save system (each cart manufacturer usually has their own format for save files). It's more likely the second reason. I believe the official R4 company stopped manufacturering a long time ago and the new R4 and R4 SDHC versions are all knock-offs (although knock-offs that work)

itzbilly

Well I purchased the R4 from r4ds.me ... and the R4 SDHC from Dscardworld.com ... Any idea if either are authentic? Lol

EDIT: From what I can tell in the file system, they both use SAV files for saves though.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well I purchased the R4 from r4ds.me ... and the R4 SDHC from Dscardworld.com ... Any idea if either are authentic? Lol

EDIT: From what I can tell in the file system, they both use SAV files for saves though.

It's really hard to tell if they're authentic. The original R4 is probably authentic while the SDHC is not. Even though they have the same file extensions it could still have slight differences. I'll do some investigating/research into this matter and get back to you

itzbilly

Okay. Very strange. I loaded up a different SAV file for the same game (about a week prior) and still getting the corrupt file message.

HOWEVER, I am loading up to the same location that the current SAV file was saved at, so I am sure that it reads the SAV file. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the way that the R4 SDHC is writing to the SAV file? There is full read and write permissions to the SAV file though..

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Okay. Very strange. I loaded up a different SAV file for the same game (about a week prior) and still getting the corrupt file message.

HOWEVER, I am loading up to the same location that the current SAV file was saved at, so I am sure that it reads the SAV file. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the way that the R4 SDHC is writing to the SAV file? There is full read and write permissions to the SAV file though..

What's weird is that it is reading it...at least a portion of it. You could try converting the .sav file to another file format and then back to the R4 DS format here: http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php (however they don't seem to have a format for R4 SDHC). Make sure you back it up though...several times if you could ;)

Usually in this situation your save file either works or doesn't - that's the one problem with migrating from one card to another. Make sure you're also using the same game ROM and not a newer or different one (probably not but just good to check/verify)

itzbilly

Which settings would I use? R4 isn't on the list.

Also, using the same ROM as before.

Just tried deleting the SAV and starting a new game. Saved, and the new sav file (no caps, oddly enough) was able to continue.

EDIT: When I say which settings, I mean for when I'm converting back to sav. There's no R4 on the bottom drop menu.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Which settings would I use? R4 isn't on the list.

Also, using the same ROM as before.

Just tried deleting the SAV and starting a new game. Saved, and the new sav file (no caps, oddly enough) was able to continue.

EDIT: When I say which settings, I mean for when I'm converting back to sav. There's no R4 on the bottom drop menu.

Opps, small overlook. Try the one that starts with Acekard 2

itzbilly

Oh ok.

Just tried, did a convert to gds then back to sav. Now it's acting as if there is no sav file present at all. Filename and type are both preserved.

itzbilly

Alright.. thanks for your help FrozenIpaq. I'm going to contact the seller and see if they are aware of any methods to migrate.

Do you know of any cards that have compatible migrating with the original R4?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Alright.. thanks for your help FrozenIpaq. I'm going to contact the seller and see if they are aware of any methods to migrate.

Do you know of any cards that have compatible migrating with the original R4?

It's all about trial and error and since I haven't been keeping up with the latest cards I'm unable to confirm which work with which. GBATemp (dot net) has a relatively large user base with people using various cards and they might be able to provide an answer. I would think the Acekard 2 series would be compatible (after conversion).

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Does sound very odd. I have an original R4 that I know is legit, and I can move save files between it and a DS emulator fine.

Try just moving the save somewhere, letting the R4SDHC start one, and see if that one continues to work. If not, you know it's a problem with the R4 SDHC.

itzbilly

Does sound very odd. I have an original R4 that I know is legit, and I can move save files between it and a DS emulator fine.

Try just moving the save somewhere, letting the R4SDHC start one, and see if that one continues to work. If not, you know it's a problem with the R4 SDHC.

Saved with SDHC, moved to R4, R4 reports Save/bookmark files damaged.

kikieatscandy

Hey everyone, I'm new at this. I am very sorry if this is slightly off topic, but everyone here seems like they know a thing or two about the R4 SDHC Revolution for DS.

I have had an R4 SDHC for a few years now and it has never failed me until now. I've downloaded many roms for Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. No matter what I do, they all give me blank white screens. I've tried different kernels or firmware or whatever theyre called and none of them make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks so much in advance =]

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Hey everyone, I'm new at this. I am very sorry if this is slightly off topic, but everyone here seems like they know a thing or two about the R4 SDHC Revolution for DS.

I have had an R4 SDHC for a few years now and it has never failed me until now. I've downloaded many roms for Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. No matter what I do, they all give me blank white screens. I've tried different kernels or firmware or whatever theyre called and none of them make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks so much in advance =]

Not sure, sounds like the ROMs are just not updated or patched yet to work. This is one of the best custom firmwares available for the R4 series so I would suggest trying this if you haven't already: http://www.***********/Kernel/e/Wood_R4_v1.20.rar

Seth

MD Party Room
Err NVM