• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Must Get AnDroid APPS/Games

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
First of all it's Android, not AnDroid. Second of all, here's my list:

Slacker - for internet radio
Barcode Scanner - for scanning QR codes online
AK Notepad - a simple notepad application for jotting quick notes down
Astro File Manager - allows you to install applications that you've downloaded on your PC and transferred over to your device or SD card
Rock Player - DVIX player (plays a wide variety of video formats)
Double Twist - a great music app if you carry your music with you (on your SD card)
Swype - currently in open beta (should be)
Google Voice - setup a Google Voice account with your current number and you'll have free visual voicemail

Games:
Air Control
Crystallight
Block Breaker
Sliding Block Puzzle
Jewellust
Bonsai Blast
Abduction!
Robo Defense

explosions

chompSMS is the best app on the market, imo.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
chompSMS is the best app on the market, imo.

I use the standard Messaging app (not sure if it's an Android default or HTC Sense one), but it works fine. I don't need much fanfare or special features for an app so simple.

explosions

I use the standard Messaging app (not sure if it's an Android default or HTC Sense one), but it works fine. I don't need much fanfare or special features for an app so simple.

I prefer the iPhone style conversations and the customization the app allows, but maybe its just me.

Also, Shazam is an app that recognizes a song from hearing only a few seconds of it. Doesn't work for all songs, but it's pretty nifty.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I prefer the iPhone style conversations and the customization the app allows, but maybe its just me.

Also, Shazam is an app that recognizes a song from hearing only a few seconds of it. Doesn't work for all songs, but it's pretty nifty.

SoundHound is a better app, although it's paid I believe (you can always pirate it :p ). I love SoundHound and would recommend it over Shazam 100% of the time. It's very fast too

explosions

SoundHound is a better app, although it's paid I believe (you can always pirate it :p ). I love SoundHound and would recommend it over Shazam 100% of the time. It's very fast too

All of my suggestions....shot down so quickly and efficiently..... I must check out this app, however. Stupid question, any decent file managing app can handle apks. Does Rock Player work on 2.2?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
All of my suggestions....shot down so quickly and efficiently..... I must check out this app, however. Does pirating apps involve using ADB? Or is it worth doing?

Well ChompSMS is a great app, I was just saying it's not something I use personally. SoundHound however is not well known and is a great alternative to Shazam (a much better alternative). I get song results in a matter of seconds and can play a quick 30 second clip of it (or search for a song by saying it, humming it, etc.)

Pirating apps is simple: just download the .apk from online and move it to your SD card. Then open Astro file manager and open with the "App Manager" and it will install

explosions

Well ChompSMS is a great app, I was just saying it's not something I use personally. SoundHound however is not well known and is a great alternative to Shazam (a much better alternative). I get song results in a matter of seconds and can play a quick 30 second clip of it (or search for a song by saying it, humming it, etc.)

Pirating apps is simple: just download the .apk from online and move it to your SD card. Then open Astro file manager and open with the "App Manager" and it will install

I was merely admiring your ninja skills. I guess Rock Player isn't on the market? I suppose my edit evaded you.

RockPlayer is a really sweet app, thanks. I haven't used SoundHound yet, but thanks for the suggestion.

Adiuvo

WeatherBug for a weather app if you're so inclined. The official Weather Channel app is horribly ugly, and it's widget is huge.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
EStrongs Task Manager, ITS ESSENTIAL for the Droid, lets you kill apps that run when they shouldnt and has a widget to kill all chosen background processes to save battery and memory - will extend the life of your phone and restart hassle by double if not more

BIG BUTTONS KEYBOARD, it revamps the keyboard to bigger buttons but changes it from QWERTY to another layout but its extremely easy to catch on to, i highly suggest just testing it out if you dont like the button size of the Droid

Lookout - its an anti-virus and download scanner, im not sure of the threat of viruses on the Droid but Lookout scans everything and keeps itself up to date, it also tracks where your phone ios via a website and backsup your data and its extremely unintrusive, you wont even see it working until you download something and it adds a status scanning on the status bar and then goes away when its finished

Yelp, if youre constantly searching for stores, shops, places and things in and around where you live, it even maps and locates everything with reviews from other people, etc etc. Really helpful.

AndChat, the best IRC client for a phone ive seen yet... if youre into IRC on the go....

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This thread is pretty nice.

How about productivity apps?

I got an HTC Tattoo (which I promptly updated to Android 2.1) and I'd like to a few more productivity apps on it like office and stuff.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This thread is pretty nice.

How about productivity apps?

I got an HTC Tattoo (which I promptly updated to Android 2.1) and I'd like to a few more productivity apps on it like office and stuff.

I don't find myself using productivity apps much but the ones I do have are Adobe Reader and QuickOffice

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I don't find myself using productivity apps much but the ones I do have are Adobe Reader and QuickOffice

I also use one called "Thinking Space" it's mindmapping software... it's cool for organizing my designs when they're still in my head.

SMSBox is a must have, it backs up all of your text messages/call logs to a website that you can access with a key or with an email/password combo. Best part, its free! And the paid version doesn't really add to many features anyways.

Also, track my life, from the same people that made SMSbox, is pretty cool, I have it set up on my phone. It basically tracks your location and sends the log back to a website that you can access and see where you've been. I've had it running for a few months now, so it'll be interesting to look at it when I do.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I'd hate to bump an old thread, but we should get this thread going again.
I just picked up an LG Ally a couple weeks ago, and I've got to say, Frozen, your piracy tips surprised and amazed me.
Thanks
xD