• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC MW2's VAC Screws Up, Gives L4D2 for free as apology

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's what I call a class act.

They admitted their mistake and noy only fixed it, but gave away 12,000 free copies of one of their hottest games?

I bow down to Valve right now.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Major props to Valve.
Other companies should take note.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Someone gift me L4D2 please.

Would do but unfortunately I wasn't banned xD

I was surprised that Valve were so open about their mistake considering how other companies would of handled the issue but this reaffirms my trust in Valve. This will hopefully shut up the people who constantly say that VAC is 100% correct all the time.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm only used to hearing about how useless VAC is while in-game. People just bash it mindlessly even after telling them that the bans are delayed.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm only used to hearing about how useless VAC is while in-game. People just bash it mindlessly even after telling them that the bans are delayed.

People are idiots unfortunately. Even after telling them how the system works and that it checks against signatures of known cheats, they still call it crap. It works well together with dedicated servers who have proper admin imo but for something like MW2 where you can't kick players then it's not as powerful, especially when factoring in the 2 weeks or so to take effect.

LocutusEstBorg

VAC should ban the entire Steam account instead of just the game engine (cheating in TF2 will get you banned in CS:S but not in 1.6), like PunkBuster bans hardware IDs for ALL PB enabled games. Meaning if you buy a PB game in the future, it your PC is still banned. It uses HDD, NIC and GPU info IIRC.

Joey

Unfortunately, stuff like this will lead to Steam customers being spoiled. This builds good will in the short term, but then when Valve does something like, say, release a sequel to a game less than a year after the first one, you'll get a harsher backlash.

It shouldn't be this way, but it is. People become entitled, and that's all she wrote. Now, if they ever make a mistake even remotely comparable to this, people will expect a free game.

Goddamn it, I hate people.

LocutusEstBorg

Maybe because L4D2 was a ripoff and should be been free in the first place? Or at the most priced like an expansion pack. It would have cost almost nothing to develop compared to the first one. It's something the community could have done for free. In fact much more effort has been put into community projects. L4D2 was a blatant attempt at milking.

Joey

Maybe because L4D2 was a ripoff and should be been free in the first place? Or at the most priced like an expansion pack. It would have cost almost nothing to develop compared to the first one. It's something the community could have done for free. In fact much more effort has been put into community projects. L4D2 was a blatant attempt at milking.

Sure, I won't argue that. But tell me, is Valve the only dev to release a game that soon after its predecessor? No. They weren't the first, and they wont be the last. EA and Activision do it every year. Did Valve receive a disproportionate amount of backlash, when compared to any previous case that's compareable? I definitely feel like they did. And that's because if their history. It wasn't an unprecedented move, it was just unprecedented for Valve. And people lost their mind.... Unfairly, in my opinion.

LocutusEstBorg

The fact that they gave out L4D2 and not any other game says otherwise. Its like they were "OK we raked in enough cash with minimal effort so we don't care about any more sales, so we'll give it out for free as a PR stunt".

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The fact that they gave out L4D2 and not any other game says otherwise. Its like they were "OK we raked in enough cash with minimal effort so we don't care about any more sales, so we'll give it out for free as a PR stunt".

Can you say that is definitely true without a shadow of a doubt?

Maybe there were other factors for why they chose to give out L4D2.

Maybe they looked through all 12,000 players games lists and decided that L4D2 was one game that the most gamers lacked and had a comparable amount of value.

Or maybe it was intended as cross-promotion for L4D2.

Who knows?

I can say for sure though that none of us know why they chose L4D2, we can only speculate.

eldiablov

Contributor

Implying they didn't just release an entire game free of charge to everyone anyway :argh:

Joey

Dude, give it up. You're just pulling things out of your ass. You know nothing about how much effort they had to put into any game.

It wasnt a PR stunt, they did it because they fucked up, and they wanted to make amends. I wish all devs were as cynical as you claim Valve to be. You're the exact douchebag I've been talking about. They give something out, and all you do is shit on them.

What an ass.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Dude, give it up. You're just pulling things out of your ass. You know nothing about how much effort they had to put into any game.

It wasnt a PR stunt, they did it because they fucked up, and they wanted to make amends. I wish all devs were as cynical as you claim Valve to be. You're the exact douchebag I've been talking about. They give something out, and all you do is shit on them.

What an ass.

If you read his posts, you can see he likes to complain and bitch about every little thing.