• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC MW2's VAC Screws Up, Gives L4D2 for free as apology

The fact that they gave out L4D2 and not any other game says otherwise. Its like they were "OK we raked in enough cash with minimal effort so we don't care about any more sales, so we'll give it out for free as a PR stunt".

They gave out their latest game, and in some cases gave out two copies to some people as well, so they have someone as a friend to play along with them as well.

Hardly a double-faced move. Not to mention they stated their premier anti-cheat system (which they also sell) bugged out by another Valve product, Steam.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
o_o how can you say they're giving L4D2 because it's crap? Hell they could have given away L4D1 if they so chose to...

As for the comments on L4D2 being inferior and an expansion pack to L4D1, the same can be said for many sequels in the game industry, that's just the way it works.

Anyways as a owner of L4D1 and not owning L4D2 I can see how the second is far superior to the original. As MenaceInc said, although not much was done on the engine side of things, the content is just THAT much better.

Joey

o_o how can you say they're giving L4D2 because it's crap? Hell they could have given away L4D1 if they so chose to...

As for the comments on L4D2 being inferior and an expansion pack to L4D1, the same can be said for many sequels in the game industry, that's just the way it works.

Anyways as a owner of L4D1 and not owning L4D2 I can see how the second is far superior to the original. As MenaceInc said, although not much was done on the engine side of things, the content is just THAT much better.

My personal opinion, is that L4D2 made L4D2 look scant and hollow by comparison, and that was only exasterbated by it's quick release. I didn't mind, and bought both at full retail, but I can understand people's disappointment with the whole ordeal to a certain extent.

Honestly, I think the real question, was why Valve wouldn't have just delayed L4D1, and just incorporated the stuff in L4D2 into one large package. I remember people even saying when L4D1 came out, that it was a bit short on content. It was definitely not a typical Valve move, no matter how you look at it. At the end of the day though, what's done is done. Both are worthy games now.

LocutusEstBorg

Well if you put it that way, then they gave it out because people THOUGHT it should have been free. It would have made the members of the boycott L4D2 group happy. It had around 10k members too. Close to the amount of free copies they gave out.

I didn't find L4D2 interesting at all. I played L4D1 for like a week before getting bored of it. After having made the most of L4D1, I played L4D2 on my friends account for a day and simply couldn't play any more of it, much less buy it at full price.

Joey

Well if you put it that way, then they gave it out because people THOUGHT it should have been free. It would have made the members of the boycott L4D2 group happy. It had around 10k members too. Close to the amount of free copies they gave out.

I didn't find L4D2 interesting at all. I played L4D1 for like a week before getting bored of it. After having made the most of L4D1, I played L4D2 on my friends account for a day and simply couldn't play any more of it, much less buy it at full price.

Look, if you just didn't enjoy L4D2, that's one thing, but to say there's some grand conspiracy is lunacy. Just stop, you're making yourself look like a fool.

LocutusEstBorg

Look, if you just didn't enjoy L4D2, that's one thing, but to say there's some grand conspiracy is lunacy. Just stop, you're making yourself look like a fool.

How is it any sort of elaborate plan? It's only logical that they give their most bashed game (that was bashed for price no less) for free.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
My personal opinion, is that L4D2 made L4D2 look scant and hollow by comparison, and that was only exasterbated by it's quick release. I didn't mind, and bought both at full retail, but I can understand people's disappointment with the whole ordeal to a certain extent.

Honestly, I think the real question, was why Valve wouldn't have just delayed L4D1, and just incorporated the stuff in L4D2 into one large package. I remember people even saying when L4D1 came out, that it was a bit short on content. It was definitely not a typical Valve move, no matter how you look at it. At the end of the day though, what's done is done. Both are worthy games now.

I agree with you. Both are great games in their own right, and my belief is that L4D1 was "short on content" because it was meant more to be a multiplayer game rather than a singleplayer one.

Anyways weren't you one of the guys who picked on me when I got here? xD

Joey

How is it any sort of elaborate plan? It's only logical that they give their most bashed game (that was bashed for price no less) for free.

No, it's not logical. What would suggest they have given out? They had to give out their latest release, Portal or Half-Life 2 wouldn't have sufficed.And they couldn't have given out another developer's game.

In fact, why would they want to give out a shitty product to people to make up for this? How does that make any sense? "We're sincerely sorry we did this to you. Here's a mound of shit to make up for it".

Your supposed "logic" doesn't hold up no matter how you look at it.

El Diablo

This thread is hilarious. Valve made a mistake and gave people one or two copies of one of their games as an apology to make up for it, and yet some how people still find something to bitch about.

LocutusEstBorg

Unfortunately, stuff like this will lead to Steam customers being spoiled. This builds good will in the short term, but then when Valve does something like, say, release a sequel to a game less than a year after the first one, you'll get a harsher backlash.

That more or less means you don't approve.

El Diablo

What? I never said that. I said it was sad that people would find a way to bitch about it. And you proved me right.
This.