• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

My friends Laptop gets 10Mbs on my wireless network but I only get

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
6 On my wireless Desktop

And

3 On my Wired Desktop.

And I already did ping tests and adjusted MTU, Reinstalled Drivers and everything.

Nothing's Changed.

Anyone know what's wrong?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well it's understandable that you are seeing different speeds with different wireless devices (every device is different, some are worse than others) but the wired connection is strange. The difference in wireless can be attributed to different antennas, distance from access point, etc. However I'm not sure what is causing the wired connection to be slower than the wireless

MenaceInc

Staff Member
QoS perhaps?

FrozenIpaq Note: QoS = Quality of Service (meaning blame your ISP!)

EDIT: Not quite. I meant maybe there is QoS on the modem/router that is prioritizing certain traffic over others.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Try using a newer cable for wired (The older the cable the slower. and no, I don't mean worn out, I mean technology. I think CAT6 is the newest, I could be wrong though). For wireless, if your network is set to "Mixed", set it to G-only. It's backwards compatible (ie I use my PSP to connect to the G-only network, it just isn't as fast) and doesn't have a bottleneck. When using mixed I got 600 KB/s max (Bytes not bits) but the moment I switched to G-only it bumped it up to the max wired (which is 1 MB/s, which is 8Mb/s, B = byte, b = bit). Just a tip.

If that doesn't do anything, listen to MenaceInc. If you listened to him first, listen to him again.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Cat5e RJ45 cables are rated to carry 100Mb/s though so even if it's an older cable then it shouldn't affect it like that. Hell, even Cat3 cables can carry 10Mb/s. I really think it's a configuration issue with the router. I would suggest you look through the router settings.

You can access most routers settings by typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your favourite browser.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
For wireless, if your network is set to "Mixed", set it to G-only
will have to remember that for when I get home. I've had mine set to mixed, and never knew it had an impairment.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
My wired used to get 5/6(which was the max before charter upgraded the speed to 8Mbps) before a month or so ago. Then all of sudden my speeds just dropped.

I've tried connecting it directly to the modem with a few different Ethernet cables and no difference.

I'll change the wireless settings to see if that improves for that deskop

On my router it says a computer with the Ip 192.168.1.7 is using UPnP but there is no Device with that Address connected

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Apparently It was my fucking Firewall "Sygate Personal firewall"

I had a friend over and we turned it off and my speeds jumped to 6-12 Mbps.

Guess I'll have to find a new firewall program

Mines set to Mixed too.

*sets to G-only*

I think I see improvement already.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

SHIT...didnt know this thread is a month old.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Oh no. 1 MB/s = 8 Mb/s. 8 bits is one byte.

Around 10. It's easier that way :). If you got to higher megabytes then you'd have to be specific..but if it's only a few then not really..for example, 10 megabits is a little over 1 megabyte (~1 megabyte rounded down).

explosions

Around 10. It's easier that way :). If you got to higher megabytes then you'd have to be specific..but if it's only a few then not really..for example, 10 megabits is a little over 1 megabyte (~1 megabyte rounded down).

But by saying that, you get people to think 10 Mb is 1 MB and problems occur.