• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

My New Computer!

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Don't worry about the burning smell I think.

When I first built this rig, I had someone come in my room and say "Is your computer burning??"

After a while it went away. I don't know, maybe it's new computer smell, or just the equipment being burnt-in(Not literally)

Or it could maybe be some component that is hot coming into contact with something and heat it a bit maybe? like a cable?
Dunno.

If 4.2ghz is stable( I would run the OCCT:Linpack test for an hour, and the OCCT:CPU test as well for an hour and see if you get erorrs., fair warning Linpack really maxes out your temps to the hottest they will ever be, but if it doesn't give you an error or crash then you should be ok. The good thing is realistically your cores will never reach those temps. Oh yeah and go in the options and raise the CPU temp max. By default it's at 70. And if your cores approach that at all linpack will give you an error basically meaning it stopped because your cores were too "hot" when it's not that terribly big of a deal. @3.9ghz with the stock heatsink my i7 950 would reach 100c on one or more cores at max load.)

Adiuvo

Why in the world did you try to overclock on a stock heatsink? Much less let it get to 100C >_>

Personally I have my computer set to turn off automatically if they hit 80C.

Trigun

Having it set off @ 80 is overkill too you know? 80 isn't That horrible. Max safe temp is 100c anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with the stock heatsink for overclocking depending on how much you'd overclock.

If you overclock a meager 4/500mhz you'd be fine with the stock HS. Sure, it won't cool as nice as an aftermarket but who GAF? It works.

Hardrive

Contributor
Having it set off @ 80 is overkill too you know? 80 isn't That horrible. Max safe temp is 100c anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with the stock heatsink for overclocking depending on how much you'd overclock.

If you overclock a meager 4/500mhz you'd be fine with the stock HS. Sure, it won't cool as nice as an aftermarket but who GAF? It works.

Did the maximum safe temps change? For some reason I remember the max safe temperature for my Q6600 being in the ballpark of 73 C or something. I could be wrong.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Did the maximum safe temps change? For some reason I remember the max safe temperature for my Q6600 being in the ballpark of 73 C or something. I could be wrong.

It is 100 C on the X58 i7s. Might not be as high for LGA1156 based chips as they carry a lower thermal envelope / have less pins. I would still shoot for under 80C, though. Temps that are close to max may be safe but will significantly degrade the chip over time, which means you will not be able to maintain a high OC for as long.

Trigun

It is 100 C on the X58 i7s. Might not be as high for LGA1156 based chips as they carry a lower thermal envelope / have less pins. I would still shoot for under 80C, though. Temps that are close to max may be safe but will significantly degrade the chip over time, which means you will not be able to maintain a high OC for as long.

That's true, hence why I said "For a modest overclock.."
I didn't have a stock overclock for very long. I mostly did it to get a feel for how the system overclocked in general before i got my Megahalems.

And yes, @100c the i7 will start throttling the speed down in order to save it from failure

the Core2 Line has a 65-95 watt power envelope depending on the model.

The Core i7 has 130W across the board so = increased idle and load temps + higher max safe temps.
Idle temps are higher on average than with any other processor line I think.

The Athlon II X2 rig that I built my brother, the 2 cores on it idle around 19c and load around 45 on stock cooling, with only 2 system fans other than CPU heatsink. It's a 65w processor. Oddly enough, my i7@3.8ghz idles around 38. Exactly double, in both wattage and temps(I think that's just a coincidence though

Brad

Yoshimi
Faster then x3's good man 8) Nice hardware reading up on the built in video acceleration sandy bridge has. Dedicated card still ahead for now but good tech

One day x3 one frickin day...

El Diablo

WTB a 1155 motherboard with 4 sata3 ports on it despite the recall and defects, who wants to sell me one :(.

Whisper

Logic :(
Not to thread hijack, but I just installed a Corsair A70 cpu cooler to help keep the temperatures down for my Phenom X4 955BE (was on sale for $19 at local Best Buy). It's still at stock speed, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about safely overclocking it.

Whisper

Logic :(
Installed that, it looks like novice (auto) overclock settings don't do much... is it better to manually overclock it?

Trigun

Well usually, most people I know would recommend to overclock stuff manually. And i'm not that familiar with AMD overdrive(Would've been, if my the AMD pc I built last year was compatible with it)

I would google some questions you have, or look for others who have used overdrive.

And I know there are guides out there
like this one
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html
it has a section for Overdrive.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Installed that, it looks like novice (auto) overclock settings don't do much... is it better to manually overclock it?

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/307316-offical-overclocking-guide-amd-socket-am2.html

Should be pretty much the same for any phenom CPU. Let us know what OC you get since I'm running a 955BE as well so might be interested. I need to get a better cooler though wince my current one was mainly designed for dual cores and only has three heatpipes