• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need All In One Device (Music, Video, H/W Seek Buttons) Pref /w Phone

LocutusEstBorg

Now this has me stumped. There just doesn't seem to be any good media devices. The absolute most important features to me are:

1) Easy to fast forward & rewind and do it with variable speed.
2) Must continue rewinding backwards into the end of the previous song.
3) 16GB minimum for music only/useless for video devices. 80GB minimum for video devices.
4) Easy to scroll through library.
5) Must be able to instantly seek/skip etc with H/W buttons or however.
6) Must support gapless playback.

I'd prefer to get a phone that does all this but the music players on most phones are hopeless and generally very unpolished and clunky.

The PSP actually does all this perfectly :/ but it's too fat to carry around everywhere.

I don't really want to go with Apple or everything I've stood for in my life will be a sham.

Scorned

I don't really want to go with Apple or everything I've stood for in my life will be a sham.

Sucks for you, the biggest reason I ever considered getting an iPhone...and did was because of its music player, which is one of the, if not the best out there currently.

Bran

Yell
I don't really see any reason to be against anything 100% despite all of it's merits and benefits.

I mean I hate microsoft to death but still steal windows XP and want a 360(to mod).

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I think anyone who hates a company for any reason other than child labor abuse should be removed from the gene pool.

LocutusEstBorg

I think anyone who hates a company for any reason other than child labor abuse should be removed from the gene pool.

I wouldn't mind giving in if not for the ridiculous price. The old iPhone 3G is like 35k Rupees for a LOCKED phone. You could get two 5870s in Crossfire for that much!!

Can anyone explain the FF/Rew mechanism on the Zune HD? Does it accelerate? Is there anyway to seek quickly within huge songs (like 50 mins)?

I'm most probably going to have to import whatever I'm getting to avoid being ripped of by paying 200% the price here.

Seth

MD Party Room
I wouldn't mind giving in if not for the ridiculous price. The old iPhone 3G is like 35k Rupees for a LOCKED phone. You could get two 5870s in Crossfire for that much!!

[HIGHLIGHT]Can anyone explain the FF/Rew mechanism on the Zune HD? Does it accelerate? Is there anyway to seek quickly within huge songs (like 50 mins)?[/HIGHLIGHT]

I'm most probably going to have to import whatever I'm getting to avoid being ripped of by paying 200% the price here.

You touch the middle of the screen and the zune opens the controls you then hold the >> until you let go, I find it spot on. I have a few 10 min songs that seem to >> pretty fast,however I still find it better on my ipod touch.

LocutusEstBorg

You touch the middle of the screen and the zune opens the controls you then hold the >> until you let go, I find it spot on. I have a few 10 min songs that seem to >> pretty fast,however I still find it better on my ipod touch.

Can you rewind into the end of the previous song? (For gapless albums)

Seth

MD Party Room
I dont have any gapless albums to check this out but it was able to rw all the way to the first song my just holding down the <<

LocutusEstBorg

I dont have any gapless albums to check this out but it was able to rw all the way to the first song my just holding down the <<

1) How many seconds per second does it rewind?
2) Does it accelerate/Can you double tap or something for multiplying the rewind speed?
3) Can you copy and paste music like a removable drive?
4) If you download a song through the browser as a regular HTTP transfer can you save it anywhere like a regular file system and play it?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
2) Does it accelerate/Can you double tap or something for multiplying the rewind speed?
4) If you download a song through the browser as a regular HTTP transfer can you save it anywhere like a regular file system and play it?

To answer #3 you need to use Zune software

You have some very particular requests and it will be very difficult to find a player that meets your needs. I'll look for a product that meets the needs but I can tell you right now, finding all those in one player is difficult (many players are doing away with hardware buttons in favor of touch screen controls)

LocutusEstBorg

You have some very particular requests and it will be very difficult to find a player that meets your needs. I'll look for a product that meets the needs but I can tell you right now, finding all those in one player is difficult (many players are doing away with hardware buttons in favor of touch screen controls)

I can do with touchscreen controls, provided points 1,2 & 6 from my original post are met. I'm considering getting a PSP Go instead of a PMP as it does all this perfectly, and its small.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Im not at a full computer right now bt the Cowon S9 might do what you want but Im not entirely sure

LocutusEstBorg

Im not at a full computer right now bt the Cowon S9 might do what you want but Im not entirely sure

Most reviews say the touchscreen is unresponsive and the buttons/casing are cheap and not durable.

I eliminated the Archos because of firmware problems and bulk.

Pretty much comes down to the iPod, Zune HD or X1000. If I can get direct confirmation from people about the exact working of the seeking functionality I can decide.

eldiablov

Contributor
Most reviews say the touchscreen is unresponsive and the buttons/casing are cheap and not durable.

I eliminated the Archos because of firmware problems and bulk.

Pretty much comes down to the iPod, Zune HD or X1000. If I can get direct confirmation from people about the exact working of the seeking functionality I can decide.

Go with the iPod touch.

LocutusEstBorg

I've already got a 120GB Classic at home but its so annoying to use that I'm using my PSP. I used to game heavily on the PSP and in the process found that it was much better than the iPod Classic. Which is why I have to know in detail about the seeking functionality. I'll inspect my friend's iPod Touch. But I need someone answer my above questions for the Zune. Its not available here so I can't get any hands on experience. I'll only see it after I order it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
What's stopping you from going to a store and getting hands-on with multiple devices to see if any fit your criteria?

LocutusEstBorg

What's stopping you from going to a store and getting hands-on with multiple devices to see if any fit your criteria?

There aren't stores with multiple devices. The only one sold here is the iPod. Anything else I have to import. No Zune, Archos, Cowon, nothing! There are just the generic thumbdrive style players from various companies and some basic color screen ones from Sony/Phillips.

You only get smuggled goods in some places but they are a ripoff. The legitimately sold ones are anywhere between 200% to 1000% the U.S. price. Ex: Locked iPhone with contract ~ $900, because if you can afford one you can afford ten.

iPod is double the price. I've never in my life even seen a decent PMP other than the iPod over here.

Everyone buys stuff through people like this guy:
http://www.techenclave.com/itrust/member17189.html

He's ships stuff from newegg, amazon etc for a commission. Right up to LCD TVs and entire gaming rigs. Still works out cheaper after the insane air shipping charges.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I have an iPhone and use it all the time as my media device. There's no hardware buttons except for volume but you can double press the Home button while it's locked and the iPod controls will come up which allows you to play/pause and skip or go back a track. In the actual iPod application you can scrobble through the songs so that instead of holding down a >> button, you just slide the slider to the point of the song that you want.

Goes without saying that the iPod touch can do these too.

Seth

MD Party Room

1.No more than 5 secs to << a whole 4 min song.
2.There only one speed
3.Nope zune app only
5. Nope I cant save any mp3 from the zune,

The zune does have wifi sync that once your in your wifi network and it has a power supply it will sync all your new music, it does have a wifi market place but it be useless to you.

Also check out Samsoung p3 it almost like the zune - the wifi stuff, What I think you might like is that it has different play speed(0.7-1.3x) and it does have a swipe thing that let you ff 1 min for every swipe you do, you can also touch the bar and once you touch there you are ff to that part of the song ex I at 1:00 right now I touch near he end and I will be at 4:11.