• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need Graphics Card Suggestions

Adiuvo

My current card just died for absolutely no reason (maybe it hates Bioshock), so now I need a new card. I have a PCI slot and a 350 watt PSU, the latter of which I'll probably need to replace. Anyways, my budget is most likely $400 for both, however that may fluctuate depending on if it really is the card that's dead and not the motherboard. If it's the motherboard, I'll probably cry myself a new computer.

Anyway, suggestions? My card literally just nuked itself and I've been out of the card loop for awhile since I haven't needed one.

Thanks guys!

elite

Oldie moldie
Nuked itself. xD

Anyways, I need some other specs for the PC and what do you usually use the PC for? If it is for hardcore gaming and ultra performance, then the GTX series is suitable. If it is for stable computing, then the 250 GT/GTS is the best.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Nuked itself. xD

Anyways, I need some other specs for the PC and what do you usually use the PC for? If it is for hardcore gaming and ultra performance, then the GTX series is suitable. If it is for stable computing, then the 250 GT/GTS is the best.

Good suggestions, but he said he has a PCI slot, those cards all PCI-E only. Big difference.

is the slot on your mobo PCI or PCI-E?

elite

Oldie moldie
Yeah, I needed extra info. There are good cards that can be placed in his motherboard without replacing the PSU.

Adiuvo

I have a PCI-E motherboard, sorry for not clarifying. I also already bought an Antec 650 watt PSU. I was looking for a Corsair, but the Antec was on sale at OfficeMax >_>

This is the card I was looking at. Do you guys think it's a good choice? I'm pretty sure it works with PCI-E, but I can't really find any detailed specifications.

This is also mainly for gaming BTW.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have a PCI-E motherboard, sorry for not clarifying. I also already bought an Antec 650 watt PSU. I was looking for a Corsair, but the Antec was on sale at OfficeMax >_>

This is the card I was looking at. Do you guys think it's a good choice? I'm pretty sure it works with PCI-E, but I can't really find any detailed specifications.

This is also mainly for gaming BTW.

Probably the best bang-for-buck card you can pick up right now. I've seen it cheaper before, but $200 is decent.

Adiuvo

Ended up buying that card. Thanks a lot guys, now I can finally run TF2 with AA on all of the time :p

EvilSeph

Administrator
Probably the best bang-for-buck card you can pick up right now. I've seen it cheaper before, but $200 is decent.

lol, did you write the first review on that Newegg page x3? :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
lol, did you write the first review on that Newegg page x3? :p

Haha, no.. didn't even look at the reviews, actually. But it is true.

4890 is a far better deal over the 9800 GTX nowadays. For less than $80 more you're getting almost double the performance. The only card competitive to it is the GTX275 and that costs quite a bit more.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
The 4890's a good card, but it's a huge power hog.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Buying an 8800 model of some sort would be cheaper wouldn't it? And i'd still get good performance ?

I'm in the process of upgrading a computer for my brother , he's not a serious PC gamer , just needs to play games like Aion well.

Adiuvo

Oh definitely, it would be a lot cheaper. Still, if you ever want to play newer games, an 8800 probably wouldn't cut it. The card even has trouble with Fallout 3 in anything past medium.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
But it would be a lot cheaper I think no?

8800's on ebay go for cheap as 50$ i've seen. And i'm looking to spend as little as possible.

You can get a 512 MB 8800 GT for $70. That was the deal on Newegg a week ago.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Oh definitely, it would be a lot cheaper. Still, if you ever want to play newer games, an 8800 probably wouldn't cut it. The card even has trouble with Fallout 3 in anything past medium.

Really?

I played Fallout 3 with a 4670, which is worse than a 8800 GT and I played with everything on high, just no AA.

Adiuvo

What resolution were you running at CHW? Past 1440 it seems only people with 3.0ghz+ processors can get it running well on high.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
well the good part is that my brother can't hardly even tell the difference between resolutions he doesn't care. Most likely gonna pick up an older CRT monitor for him or an LCD with a lower resolution.

And He hates FPS game and whatnot, all he wants to do is to be able to run Aion's Graphical Upgrade that's coming out in the near future. And at a lower resolution I think an 8800 would suffice. I mean I can play most modern games moderately well with an 8600GT at 1152x864 most times. :eek:

However from what I hear the HD 5000 series from radeon has really low temps and high performance, if i see like an 5750 or something on sale that's worth the extra money i'll probably get that maybe.