• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need Graphics Card Suggestions

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
from what i've looked at , the GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+( or was it 8800GTX+?), and is only around a 100$.

Seems like it might be worth paying 30$ more for if I can stretch it.

from what i've looked at , the GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+( or was it 8800GTX+?), and is only around a 100$.

Yep, the GTS 250 is a 9800 GTX+, with a more power effiecent PCB, and requires only one 6-pin power over two.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.

I've had nothing but awesomeness with my 9800 GTX+. I just stuck in a better power supply and I haven't had any problems, but I'm sure some people would like it to be more efficient..thing's a fatty.

AFAIK there isn't any game that I can't play on mine. I'm sure I can play games like MW2 on full with it (I THINK, is what I mean by I'm sure) I know I can play like Oblivion on full, Fallout, TF2, etc etc, I just haven't tested it.

I fully and truly recommend it. They're known for being hardy.

It can basically render movies, then rape them, then kill them, then render them again it's that awesome with movies.

I've had nothing but awesomeness with my 9800 GTX+. I just stuck in a better power supply and I haven't had any problems, but I'm sure some people would like it to be more efficient..thing's a fatty.

I'm very happy with mine, massive upgrade from my old ATi Radeon HD 2600 XT. Most games will play at full resolution and at 60 fps, sometimes even with a little AA to boot.

Trigun

Well I just bought an 8800GTS 640MB Version. Which should work fine since my brother will be playing at resolutions no higher than 1024x768-1280x720

I have an 8600GT in my computer that is used mostly for music recording and I can run practically everything but Crysis moderately well at 1152X864

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
8600GT is a terrible card, SLI'd or not. A 4850 will make for a nice replacement.

Hope so while I'm at it...I going to upgrade my board and processor. lol its out of date bad!!!

Did the MW2 text issues got fix on ATI?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Hope so while I'm at it...I going to upgrade my board and processor. lol its out of date bad!!!

Did the MW2 text issues got fix on ATI?

I've never had issues with MW2 text and I have a 4850 and played MW2 since release.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Running at resolutions like 1280x1024 and below it runs pretty well on most modern games With a few exceptions here and there.

Well, I'm glad you are content with it. However from personal experience I would still not recommend a 8600GT, even at lower resolutions. I had one before and even Oblivion brought it to its knees, not even close to fully maxed at 1680x1050. It's essentially a rehashed 7600GT with DX10 support tacked on. That's the real reason why it is a joke. Try playing any game that fully utilizes the DX10 feature set (e.g. Shattered Horizon) and it will be nigh-unplayable. Which begs the question.. why did they even include DX10? It's a budget class card that Nvidia tried to market to gamers. The 9600GT is a much better card and can be had for maybe $20-30 more used. I would consider that the bare minimum for PC gaming today.

Heres some screen shots....Think I'm due for a upgrade? still life on AMD 3800+ 2.0Ghz?

ImageShack Album - 7 images

The only biggest issue is smoke in the whole game. I did have sound drivers issue that bring down the FPS but I not sure if its still the problem or not. crappy ASUS board.

Heres some screen shots....Think I'm due for a upgrade? still life on AMD 3800+ 2.0Ghz?

ImageShack Album - 7 images

The only biggest issue is smoke in the whole game. I did have sound drivers issue that bring down the FPS but I not sure if its still the problem or not. crappy ASUS board.

Make sure that Smooth Smoke Edges is OFF, that's usually the root of most smoke-based FPS problems.

Oh snap. my SLI settings were off. probably happen when I was cleaning out dust off my computer and only had one card in.

Thanks Zero I would do that if problem still exist.

Bill

You compare an nVidia 8800 to an ATI 5XXX? 5xxx is absolute winner, no contest.

Trigun

Well, I'm glad you are content with it. However from personal experience I would still not recommend a 8600GT, even at lower resolutions. I had one before and even Oblivion brought it to its knees, not even close to fully maxed at 1680x1050. It's essentially a rehashed 7600GT with DX10 support tacked on. That's the real reason why it is a joke. Try playing any game that fully utilizes the DX10 feature set (e.g. Shattered Horizon) and it will be nigh-unplayable. Which begs the question.. why did they even include DX10? It's a budget class card that Nvidia tried to market to gamers. The 9600GT is a much better card and can be had for maybe $20-30 more used. I would consider that the bare minimum for PC gaming today.

Well, TBH (which is sad) the best card i've ever owned is an 8600GT. I haven't upgraded my PC since I bought it a few years ago.

I do plan to get something along the lines of the HD5700 Series when I do an overhaul after I get the money for it.