• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need help with formatting issue!

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Hey

Recently my windows decided to stop working, so I decided to reformat my hard drive and start fresh.

The problem that I'm having is that the windows installer disk seems to be incapable of creating a partition for some reason on my Hard Drive. I thought that was strange so I booted into the USB version of Ubuntu, and tried to use gParted.

In gParted I deleted the partition so that there was 1.34 TB of unallocated space, and then formatted it to NTFS.

This still didn't work. Then I decided to try just installing Ubuntu, and Ubuntu also cannot locate my hard drive when I go thru the installation process. But it shows up fine in gParted.

What is going on?

Ok I managed to install Windows 7 on it now, but it has no drivers and the aspect ratio is all messed up. When I put in my PC's recovery disc and try to reformat the C: drive completely it fails and says that it is an unrecognizable format or corrupted

Adiuvo

Use DBAN then try creating partitions again with GParted. If that doesn't work I'd imagine the hardrive is dead.

Adiuvo

There isn't much to be wrong besides the hardrive being dead in that case. What happened when Windows stopped working anyways?

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Great :/. It just gradually got slower and slower, and then I was having some weird issues where I had to refresh every folder in order for changes to appear, so I decided it was probably time to format.