• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Netbook Advice

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm looking to get the wife a netbook and don't really know much about them. I'm not really sure there is much to even know about them except price.

Any suggestions?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would recommend something along the lines of the HP Mini 1000 or the Samsung NC10

Seth

MD Party Room
I suggest not getting the acer aspire one. It runs painfully slow.

I dont find it slow at all and I have the older one! It handles Itunes and Chrome with 5 tabs open just fine.

I take it you dont want to spend more than 300 bucks Abe. I have a Acer Aspire One AOA150-1987 with a Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz has a 1GB DDR2, 160GB, 8.9" screen I got it for about 200 bucks and like I said above handles everything a netbook is for. I was even able to run Braid and a few other games on it. However battery last me about a hour or so. I have a few friends who have the Hp Mini 110 and she seems to love it, I played around with it and I must say it a pretty nice netbook for basic things and your wife might like it.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM EST ----------

I would recommend something along the lines of the HP Mini 1000 or the Samsung NC10

The Hp 1000 have been replaced with the new Mini 110...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I dont find it slow at all and I have the older one! It handles Itunes and Chrome with 5 tabs open just fine.

I take it you dont want to spend more than 300 bucks Abe. I have a Acer Aspire One AOA150-1987 with a Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz has a 1GB DDR2, 160GB, 8.9" screen I got it for about 200 bucks and like I said above handles everything a netbook is for. I was even able to run Braid and a few other games on it. However battery last me about a hour or so. I have a few friends who have the Hp Mini 110 and she seems to love it, I played around with it and I must say it a pretty nice netbook for basic things and your wife might like it.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM EST ----------

The Hp 1000 have been replaced with the new Mini 110...

As far as I know they're basically the same and you can still pickup a 1000, they are the same netbook in my book ;)

Abe - if you are looking for something that looks nice and has good performance I'd go with the HP with an extended battery.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Apparently the MSI Wind can run OSx86 with a vanilla kernel... so I ordered an Advent 4211 last night...it's the same as the MSI Wind in everything but name...got it for

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I looked at some for the parents at best buy yesterday. Most of them were running XP and were 300-500$
Although there was a gateway one with an AMD 64bit processor with a pretty large res-screen compared to the other ones.
It Ran The basic version of Vista though. Which i'm not sure is good or not since I've never used Vista Basic.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I looked at some for the parents at best buy yesterday. Most of them were running XP and were 300-500$
Although there was a gateway one with an AMD 64bit processor with a pretty large res-screen compared to the other ones.
It Ran The basic version of Vista though. Which i'm not sure is good or not since I've never used Vista Basic.

Vista Home Basic is the worst peice of software ever....and the AMD CPU and large screen suggests to me that it wasn't a netbook but just a small laptop...

Adiuvo

I suggest not getting the acer aspire one. It runs painfully slow.

Not sure what's wrong with yours but mine is quite speedy. It's definitely a good little netbook. I took Windows out and installed Ubuntu with XFCE and it's running better than ever. With Opera it handles up to five youtube videos at the same time, and it runs most emulators just fine.

The netbook is built quite well too. Feels sturdy, and while light, it doesn't feel cheap. The only issue I have with it is the fingerprints, but that's only on the top. The interior is brushed metal, and feels quite nice. Buttons are fantastic as well, just as good as real keyboard.

The only gripe I have is that the six cell battery juts out of the back, which makes most cases not fit it. With that battery it gets around 5 hours of usage when using WIFI, six to seven without.

I'd definitely recommend an Acer Aspire One. Around $350 IIRC at Costco.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
That Samsung NC10 has gotten decent reviews. What's the big difference between that and the Samsung N310 and N120?

Seth

MD Party Room
Not sure what's wrong with yours but mine is quite speedy. It's definitely a good little netbook. I took Windows out and installed Ubuntu with XFCE and it's running better than ever. With Opera it handles up to five youtube videos at the same time, and it runs most emulators just fine.

The netbook is built quite well too. Feels sturdy, and while light, it doesn't feel cheap. The only issue I have with it is the fingerprints, but that's only on the top. The interior is brushed metal, and feels quite nice. Buttons are fantastic as well, just as good as real keyboard.

The only gripe I have is that the six cell battery juts out of the back, which makes most cases not fit it. With that battery it gets around 5 hours of usage when using WIFI, six to seven without.

I'd definitely recommend an Acer Aspire One. Around $350 IIRC at Costco.

Wow 5 hours! I cant even get threw a movie with my battery on Ubuntu with flux or xfce or Windows 7.

Also are you really going to spend 450 on a netbook?

twelve

I'm not dead
My mums Acer is like that. It's not even a netbook though, it's a small notebook.

I love Acer's styling and they seem to be pretty quick and reliable so the One would be what I go for.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that Samsung N310. I like it's look.

Edit - Done and ordered, arrives Thursday.